997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is there any single person here who installed X51 996 oil pan into 997 car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
MichaelL will become famous soon enoughMichaelL will become famous soon enough
I have seen M96/M97 sump extensions on 3 websites:
-Check LNEngineering.com, they have an extension kit and also sell the X51 part. They must have the information you seek and are very helpful. Show photos on their website. Their parts are X51 compatible, increase capacity by 1/2 quart and $283.
-www.Mantissport.ca has a sump kit. Not a lot of detail & $594.
-Autofarm.co.uk has a 1.5 liter kit that is lb 368. Also have installation instructions on website.

The kits all appear to be an extrusion that spaces the oil pan lower, baffles and oil pickup extensions. The deeper kits will reduce ground clearance under the motor.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:42 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
you really think you are achieving more then 1.6 G's on autocross! The 300ft skidpad results for our car (stock) is under 1 G, there is no way on autox that you are getting even close to that. I am running R6's, track seats, and harnesses, plus the suspension stuff to get that high.

Next time try a few runs with a data logger and see what your real numbers are.
No doubt your track seats and harnesses deliver unmatching multiple Gs for your turns, nevertheless I am more concerned about my humble engine knocking than about any measurbating

Also it does not really matter to me what whomever car does at whatever Gs, really. I get you did not install X51 oil sump, did you? So, what is the point of this pickering?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:45 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MichaelL
I have seen M96/M97 sump extensions on 3 websites:
-Check LNEngineering.com, they have an extension kit and also sell the X51 part. They must have the information you seek and are very helpful. Show photos on their website. Their parts are X51 compatible, increase capacity by 1/2 quart and $283.
-www.Mantissport.ca has a sump kit. Not a lot of detail & $594.
-Autofarm.co.uk has a 1.5 liter kit that is lb 368. Also have installation instructions on website.

The kits all appear to be an extrusion that spaces the oil pan lower, baffles and oil pickup extensions. The deeper kits will reduce ground clearance under the motor.
Mechanic I know also told me that most probably best bet would be to do combo of this X51 996 baffles with that $283 extension kit, essentially it is a simple spacer between stock oil pan and engine block. I am not sure I want to shell out $283 more but as it can be done at any moment I guess it can wait. He says he usually does that sump extension to any cars that get track prepped. Will see.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I think he realizes this..the issue is the better control the 996 X51 oil pan offers over the 997S. I too have the part list for the 997 X51 and it doesn't contain an updated oil pan.

Dave
Do you know for certain that the 996 X51 oil pan offers better control over the 997 S, considering that the stock and X51 pans in the 997 S are one and the same?

I mean, saying that the issue is the "better control the 996 X51 oil pan offers over the 997S", specially when the stock 997 S oil pan and the oil pan on the 997 S X51 are one and the same, implies that Porsche has stepped backwards on the 997 S oil pan design when it came to designing the X51 Powerkit for the newer car. Remember that both the stock 997 S and the X51 have the same oil pan.

What data or other evidence is there that corroborates the 996 X51 oil pan offering better control than the 997 S, when the latter is one and the same with the newer car's X51 version?

Last edited by cibergypsy; 06-02-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
I have never autocrossed (so I cannot comment on that) but, in my experience I've seen a car with oiling issues at tracks in which there are long, high G-force turns in which the suspension is under load on the outside of the turn like, for example, at Roebling Road in Savannah, GA. The same car that experienced smoking at Roebling didn't experience it at Sebring. Again, I'm speaking from my own experience with a 2001 996 that had OEM GT3 sway bars and OEM RoW M030 suspension with OEM GT3 wheels too. That car would smoke for about 15 seconds at startup between sessions at Roebling Road but never at Sebring and that car was driven HARD! The car had a 3.4 L engine with no modifications whatsoever - no X51 oil pan and no sump extension either.

Last edited by cibergypsy; 12-28-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
My Porsche Club did a small article on this mod. Carlos at Vortex in Tampa has done plenty of these mods.

go to think link and down load the pdfhttp://www.suncoastpca.org/forum/showthread.php?t=237

Old 12-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
Do you know for certain that the 996 X51 oil pan offers better control over the 997 S, considering that the stock and X51 pans in the 997 S are one and the same?

I mean, saying that the issue is the "better control the 996 X51 oil pan offers over the 997S", specially when the stock 997 S oil pan and the oil pan on the 997 S X51 are one and the same, implies that Porsche has stepped backwards on the 997 S oil pan design when it came to designing the X51 Powerkit for the newer car. Remember that both the stock 997 S and the X51 have the same oil pan.

What data or other evidence is there that corroborates the 996 X51 oil pan offerin better control than the 997 S, when the latter is one and the same with the newer car's X51 version?
No I don't know for certain...it could be all marketing hype. I should have phrased it..."perceived better oil control". I too wondered why wouldn't this have been included with the X51 kit if it wasn't necessary.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
No doubt your track seats and harnesses deliver unmatching multiple Gs for your turns, nevertheless I am more concerned about my humble engine knocking than about any measurbating

Also it does not really matter to me what whomever car does at whatever Gs, really. I get you did not install X51 oil sump, did you? So, what is the point of this pickering?
my original point was to show that these engines can handle high G's without oil starvation issues, and that you may want to look at an alternate source of your engines problem. The second point was made to question your false statement that turning a 360 degree turn with street tires and stock seats will turn higher G's then a high speed banked turn on a race track.

It is clear to me that your decision to add the X51 oil pan was made far before you started this thread and asked for opinions and feedback. No I don't have the X51 oil pan, but have pondered adding it as was as the deeper oil pan (allowing for more oil to draw from, as well as a lower centre of gravity). At this point I have not made any decisions as to what I will do. To answer your final question, there is no "pickering" it is mearly an attempt to help solve your problem, and also challenge your false statements, this is a discussion forum, and if you don't like people question your unsupported statements, don't make them.

I look forward to your feedback on this mod, and hope it helps solve your problem!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I look forward to your feedback on this mod, and hope it helps solve your problem!
Well, I only hope that my problem analysis was correct and I am trying to solve something that was correctly identified. If not, obviously, it will not do much good. Will keep you posted.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Well, I only hope that my problem analysis was correct and I am trying to solve something that was correctly identified. If not, obviously, it will not do much good. Will keep you posted.
Look forward to your feedback

Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Another tracker who says "why change it?" I put probably 7000 track miles on my 2007 C2S and recorded over 1.6 G consistently on shaved RA1s. The only way to get that much lateral is on banked high speed turns, like we have at Watkins Glen. On an autoX course, maybe you'll see just over 1 G and not for a sustained period. Never had an oil starvation issue, never even heard of anyone else having one. Save your time, effort, and money...

Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
Another tracker who says "why change it?" I put probably 7000 track miles on my 2007 C2S and recorded over 1.6 G consistently on shaved RA1s. The only way to get that much lateral is on banked high speed turns, like we have at Watkins Glen. On an autoX course, maybe you'll see just over 1 G and not for a sustained period. Never had an oil starvation issue, never even heard of anyone else having one. Save your time, effort, and money...
And just ignore that sharp clanking noise engine makes? Interesting strategy, but not sure if valve lifters will last long running on dry.

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-29-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
If you have a sharp clanking noise, it's not the oil pan that's at fault. 5000 track miles at 1 to 1.6 Gs and zero clanking noise, zero problems, etc. Sorry, but I guess I missed that the problem was traced to your oil pan and if so, why not replace the faulty one with a new 997 one?

Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
If you have a sharp clanking noise, it's not the oil pan that's at fault. 5000 track miles at 1 to 1.6 Gs and zero clanking noise, zero problems, etc. Sorry, but I guess I missed that the problem was traced to your oil pan and if so, why not replace the faulty one with a new 997 one?
No, problem is, well, at 90% probability, in air bubbles that get inside of hydraulic valve lifters and get trapped there. I would not suggest generic oil starvation as oil pressure is where it should be and I get this knock at idle immediately after the run and it slowly goes away in 10 minutes or so.

So remedy is as I see it would be to do something to prevent those bubbles from getting into lifters. Most probable cause is that in stock pan those baffles do not limit oil movement sufficiently enough so it turns into foam over constant shaking during auto-x race lap. In this regard auto-x is different from tracking as at tracking you just shift oil to the side exposing oil pickup, in auto-x case you constantly shake it like in blender. Like I told before - problem never ever happens in normal racing conditions.

So possible remedy here is dual or even triple - first is stop foaming process. as was stated by some - oil with higher viscosity will help. Second thing is to have more oil and oil pickup deeper in it - pan spacer plus modding pickup. that I probably will not do. third - is to have this X51 pan with different baffles to limit oil movement inside of sump more efficiently which this 996 pan supposedly was designed for.

That is my way of thought. Does it make sense? I do not know. Like I said - it is not clear what to do but running lifters on dry will kill them and then kill crankshaft. So something should be done.

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-29-2009 at 12:47 PM.