997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What's up with these Corvette ads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kosmo69
so this isnt a performance car?
That isn't a Cab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabriolet_(automobile)

Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
If the next gen vette can expand/improve on the good attributes and correct the shortcomings (mainly the interior and the overall feel of the car), I'd buy one.
It'll never happen, especially the interior. Crap interiors are the quintessential hallmark of Gummint Motors and will endure until the company goes under.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
if theycant put the CTS V's interior in the new vette, it would be a huge leap forward. BTW they are already under.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:44 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
if theycant put the CTS V's interior in the new vette, it would be a huge leap forward. BTW they are already under.
i'm talking dead/EOL/Saabed

Old 01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
post the ad...

Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Schwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura aboutSchwabe has a spectacular aura about
This is the link of the comparison:

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-grand-sport/competitive-comparison/

However the ad will show a hyper link that is something like Corvette Vs Porsche. of course they list like 95 OnStar items to give the Corvette more pluses and they only compare in their against a single feature ie 0-60 and one competitor car and then mpg against another. Of course these individual stats are not listed in their complete comparison because it would show that it would beat thisone stat against one competitor car but loose against the other stats against the same competitor car ... etc. It really doesn't matter as no car beats all the features of another car but may have altogther different merits or even an emotional factor the other cars not have at all. It is just the sleezy way of comparitive advertising and just cherry picking the features you can beat.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-04-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
So, since the most expensive Vette outperforms the more expensive Porsche, why wouldn't tout that fact?
It does? That's news to me. I assume you are comparing the Corvette ZR-3 against a 911 GT2, correct? When you say it outperforms the GT2 I hope you are comparing more than just the 0-60 time.

With the notable exception of the Cobra, American sports cars have always been way too big and heavy. Look at the new Camaro which is yet another example of this. The British call American sports cars "Yank tanks".

Caroll Shelby was the only American designer to understand that in order for a car to perform it needs to be small and light. He set out to beat Ferrari and accomplished his goal. Caroll Shelby is a living legend and perhaps the closest thing we Americans ever had to Ferry Porsche or Enzo Ferrari.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Speaking of the GT2. I wonder how the new plastic body will work out? I guess reinforced fiberglass isn't as bad as Porsche owners once thought?

Old 01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Surprising that the Vette was the lightest of the 4 cars they setup in the default comparison (no surprise about the AM really or the 6er). Very close to size and weight of the 911. Maybe it just looks big and heavy or they have changed it? Been a while since I have really looked at one.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
Surprising that the Vette was the lightest of the 4 cars they setup in the default comparison (no surprise about the AM really or the 6er). Very close to size and weight of the 911. Maybe it just looks big and heavy or they have changed it? Been a while since I have really looked at one.
The current Vette C6 has the same length, it is 1-2" wider and about 2" shorter than the 997, and about the same weight. it looks bigger though and from a driver's perspective, as the driver seats aft of center it appears to be much longer. The C6 LS3 engine has 436HP and 428lbft. It is an excellent sports car. The Z06 has 505HP and the ZR1 has 617HP, the latter for $105k. All handle very well, but if you are a true 911 fan you will always prefer a 911. How do I know? I leased a C6 '08 for a year and came back.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
I'd ignore the GM marketing. They tend to cater to the chrome wheels/racing stripes set. IMO, the Z06 and ZR1 are pretty good for what they are and how much they cost. They could benefit greatly from coil-overs, non-runflats and a pair of Recaros or Sparcos. These are all relatively simple mods that can be (and have been) performed by their owners. A better clutch or PDK style manual would make it complete. By comparison, the 997 is a much more complete street car from the factory with less compromises.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
I'd ignore the GM marketing. They tend to cater to the chrome wheels/racing stripes set. IMO, the Z06 and ZR1 are pretty good for what they are and how much they cost. They could benefit greatly from coil-overs, non-runflats and a pair of Recaros or Sparcos. These are all relatively simple mods that can be (and have been) performed by their owners. A better clutch or PDK style manual would make it complete. By comparison, the 997 is a much more complete street car from the factory with less compromises.
It's far more than that. 2 very different cars. The Vette is a balance, front-mid-engine, long wheelbase design, the 911 is all-in-the-rear, short wheelbase design. 2 very different driving feelings.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
True. I always felt more like I was holding on in my Z as opposed to driving my 911. I plan on going to a driving school to actually learn how to properly drive the 911. If the racing bug hits (and funds are available) I'd consider a modded Z06 as a starting point for a track only car. But I couldn't drive another one of those on the street again. In NYC, it requires a BUNCH of patience.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
And I wouldn't describe it as sleazy as much as pointless. W/all due respect to the Polk ppl, I don’t see somebody shopping for sports car and balking at the 911 b/c an 8 cylinder is "not available" or slecting a Vette b/c it comes w/a compass as a standard feature (didn't see any mention of navigation which might be a bit more useful).

Originally Posted by Schwabe
This is the link of the comparison:

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-grand-sport/competitive-comparison/

... It is just the sleezy way of comparitive advertising and just cherry picking the features you can beat.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-04-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
The latest Vette is the most bang for the buck you can get in a high performance sports car available today. While it's not a Porsche or a Ferrari or anything else for that matter, it still will beat the snot out of just about any other car on the road at anywhere near the price. Something to be said for that and while I've never owned nor considered owning a Vette, with the exception of the '63 split window Vette (which I would like to own ) I still believe that Vette owners are getting a lot of car for the money. I also agree with others here when they say the demographic is different. Plenty of room on the planet for Vette owners ads and all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's up with these Corvette ads?