997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why Are Used Porsche Prices Going Up So Fast??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
mact3333,

With all due respect your advice doesn't make sense for my situation. As I stated in my original post I can only keep the car for the duration of the warrantee. Buying new gives me the full 4 years which allows me to keep the car the longest.

I did take a look at the used 911 selection but nothing even came close to what is acceptable to me. Here in North Jersey a good percentage of 911 owners are very busy professionals like Physicians, Lawyers, Stock Brokers, etc. So busy it seems that they don't have the time to care for their cars like I do or perhaps they don't know how or just don't care (no offense intended to you professional types).

It seems that many of the cars are leased and so they probably just don't give a f*ck because in 36 months they'll get to start all over again with another brand new car and that is definitely not the case for me. My 911 experience is only going to be a once in a lifetime shot so I want it to be "perfect". On the used cars I looked at the paint was in horrible condition as were the front spoilers, lower hoods, wheels, etc. When I sold my 15 year Miata last spring "she" was in ~MUCH~ better shape than any of the 2 and 3 year old 911's I looked at.
AU, I was kidding around as my smiley faces tried to show...of course its your money and you can do whatever you want with it...hope you didnt take me seriously...

Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Obviously not anywhere near base.
Base price was $165,300!! I have an e-mail from the sales guy with a complete price breakdown, if I knew how to post it I would. Now you know why so many Canadians are buying down in the U.S and bringing it back!! New and used prices are up to 50% higher then in the U.S....

Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 PM
kaischi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Second, anyone can ask any price, its the price that buys the car that is meaningful.
well said - 9/10 asking prices I see are too high. And by that I don't mean the usual "asking-10%-above-what-I-really-want" prices. Even here in the Bay Area (with lots of potential buyers), every car I've looked at it the last 2 months is still sitting on the driveway or on the lot. Just look at ebay and see how few cars are selling at all, their reserves being unrealistically high. It's just like with the Real Estate market ... reality will catch up at some point. I think prices are still on the decline and will be for a while.

But then, I'm a buyer - so maybe it's just my Zweckoptimismus, as he Germans say ("calculated optimism")

Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Jetpilot3 is infamous around these parts
The time to buy has passed. I too did my research the early part of 09 and jumped on an amazing deal beginning of December.

Bought my 06 Carrera from the dealer with 29k, 6-speed, 19" sport wheels, CPO, heated seats, xenons, floormats for $41k out the door!

Considering I was potentially looking at buying an older 993 for the same $ I think I did pretty good.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Well -- past recent searches were disappointing so I decided to look again now to get in idea of the current selection. South Florida has a lot of used cars . I found Gt3's in the 80's , modded 08 c2S with decent miles in the upper 60's , 09 cars range from the low of 69(base launch car) and average in the 80's and 06 cars in the low 50's. Even cars with some age and miles in the 40's. There's no shortage of cars and the prices actually look more attractive than a few months ago.

Perhaps with all those new 09 cars that were sold the used inventory has grown.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:35 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I do not have 18-20K just sitting around in case it needs a new engine so I would be totally screwed...
A factory engine swap costs half of that... and the stats show total engine failures are rare.

And I agree with others, if you only plan to keep the car 4 years, financially you would be better off with an '09 and for sure an '07 or '08.

As far as ordering a custom car - your order is not that different from the typical car on dealer's lots. You say you did not find used cars in good shape... you did not look far enough. For used cars look West, Far West.

Last edited by adias; 01-20-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
A factory engine swap costs half of that... and the stats show total engine failures are rare.

Stats?...

there are no stats. Just speculations.

Like the people who claim the 06's and newer don't have any engine problems. Yet when my car was getting a new engine an 06 next to me at the dealer with a crate holding its new engine.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mact3333
AU, I was kidding around as my smiley faces tried to show...of course its your money and you can do whatever you want with it...hope you didnt take me seriously...
mact3333,

No worries mate, we're totally cool!

getz,

With all due respect I didn't appreciate you telling me I made a "bonehead" decision because I opted for the new car as opposed to buying used. Sorry Doc but with all due respect I don't agree with your diagnosis. Are you an Orthopedist by any chance? Is that why you said I made a "bonehead" decision? By the way I bought my car in cash which is the least expensive way to own a car (leasing is the most expensive). It's almost like you are telling me that I don't deserve to have a new car because my income is very low and I completely (but still respectfully) disagree with you. As I said in my original post I saved for many years to be able to do this and the plan was always for a new car, not a used one. I did invest along the way and that definitely helped me reach me goal. I also have an "exit plan". In 4 years my daily driver will be 14 years old and in need of replacement. My 911 should be valued somewhere in the low 50's by then. I plan to take that money and replace my daily driver with a brand new Mazda 3 and at the same time buy a less expensive sports car. I may look at another Mazda Miata or the "new" RX-7 if the rumors are true. By then I'll be approaching the age where most of the men in my family have past away (early 50's) so they will likely be the last two cars I'll ever have to worry about. That was another attribute that factored into my decision to go for a brand new 911. As a medical professional you are fully aware that none of us live forever and owning a new 911 was pretty high on my "bucket list". Now that has been checked off. I have a few other things on my 'bucket list" that I'm now turning my attention to. You don't know Britney Spears by any chance, do you?

adias,

I totally agree with you that my order isn't much out of the range of a car that a dealer would order for inventory. One of the first dealers I went to checked the computer for all US inventory and we came close but there were no exact matches. Several options that I had no interest in kept coming up such as Bluetooth, Bose and Powered Seats with Driver's memory which combined are almost 4K. That's my "tire money". Also, I wanted a freshly painted car that wasn't sitting on the lot for months. You'll recall I'm the detail fanatic. A few weeks back you asked me to post my method on touch up painting. Remember? I wanted a "clean" start with factory fresh paint. The desire for fresh paint and not wanting the options mentioned above were the two primary reasons I went with a factory order. The factory order actually saved me money because I didn't have to pay for unwanted options.

Last edited by Auto_Union; 01-20-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Auto Union --You are living the dream !!!! Don't let anyone ever tell you that you spent too much and got the car you wanted and allow this to bother you . They don't live your life .They don't pay your bills . Screw them!!!

I actually think you did the wise thing --not that my opinion matters either because what counts most is what you feel when it comes to your purchase or car.
You got the car new . It has full wararnty, no previous driver history. exactly the way you wanted . No one ever sneezed in the car before you and that in itself is worth at least a few bucks.

As for those who judge yoir income --who cares about that too? Some never realize .. it's not what one makes but what one has. You have hedged overhead responsibilities by the choices you made to have the dream car.

Enjoy it in the best of health.

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-20-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
yrralis1

yrralis1,

Thank you very much for your kind words, I appreciate that very much.

Now if only the weather would cooperate a little more I'd get to have a little more behind-the-wheel time in my dream car. I'm waiting for ground hog day with baited breath and hope that "Punxsutawney Phil" predicts that we'll have an early spring this year.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:45 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Special avatar of Porsche ...just for you.

Auto_Union: Someone once told me buying a used car is like dating someone else's wife.... I would never do that if my financial resources allow. I echo yrralis's thoughts (that guy is one heck of a 6peeder) and the new car smell alone is priceless atleast to me. That particular avatar of Porsche has entered this world just for you. That must be a special feeling.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 01-20-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Sounds like you didn't check with Suzie Orman to see if you could buy it! Damn good for you! Enjoy it, sounds like you got a nice one.
Prices definitely don't seem any lower than they were last summer. And they should be since P car pricing is certainly seasonal. (Cayenne prices might firm in the Winter, but nothing else!)

Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Thank you, w00tPORSCHE. I have no regrets at all about my decision. The fact that they built one "just for me" makes me feel very special every time I look at "her" and the new car smell is still amazing even 3 months into this experience. My car was "born" on 9-24-09 and delivered to me on 10-30-09. The week before delivery the National Geographic channel debuted "Ultimate Factories: Porsche". This one hour documentary follows the building of a 2009 911 from start to finish. Since the 2009 and 2010's are virtually identical this gave me the chance to see all that is involved in producing one of these incredible automobiles. Of course the timing was a complete coincidence but it was truly magical to watch this process unfold on television knowing that in just 7 days I would be taking delivery of my own made-to-order copy of this fabulous machine.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Congrats, enjoy your new toy. I am also waiting with baited breath for spring or at least a warm spell to enjoy our rides and participate in PCA events. I do occasionally go into the garage and stare at the baby, as well as do minor tweaks.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you, w00tPORSCHE. I have no regrets at all about my decision. The fact that they built one "just for me" makes me feel very special every time I look at "her" and the new car smell is still amazing even 3 months into this experience. My car was "born" on 9-24-09 and delivered to me on 10-30-09. The week before delivery the National Geographic channel debuted "Ultimate Factories: Porsche". This one hour documentary follows the building of a 2009 911 from start to finish. Since the 2009 and 2010's are virtually identical this gave me the chance to see all that is involved in producing one of these incredible automobiles. Of course the timing was a complete coincidence but it was truly magical to watch this process unfold on television knowing that in just 7 days I would be taking delivery of my own made-to-order copy of this fabulous machine.

AU,

I saw that special on national geographic too and it forced me to buy one right there....

BTW, dont let the elitists bring ya down...the fact that you paid cash proves you are prob more deserving of this car than 90% of us...you know us doc's, alot of flash and alot of debt but at the end of the day, we are dirt cash poor......many doc's prob live in a 6000SF house and have no equity as the RE mkt has crashed...you my frined are the truly wealthy cause you have common sense and a plan and seem frugal(except the Porsche that is...)...us docs would be at the end of the freeway onramp begging for change if we lost our jobs within 6 months.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why Are Used Porsche Prices Going Up So Fast??