997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anybody have experience with these replica wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
yes, Tech1_Mike that is an excellent point.

When you buy that garbage there is NO standard.

and I'm sorry, I just think anyone buying these wheels is making a mistake. Yes they're cheap, and maybe they look close to the real thing. But do you know what you're buying? NO..

Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Here hattrick:

http://www.lambopower.com/forum/inde...hl=dymag+wheel

I handeled the situation of the broken center for Dymag.
The wheel was broken at a track event in Mexico the customer runs full slicks all the time at the track and these wheels had about 60 full track days on them unfortunately they were not checked after each event and the spoke developed a hairline crack that started from the engraving on the back of the spoke. They stamp the back of the spokes with the model number of the mold. The crack propagated causing the spoke to break in half and transfering the weight load the the remaining spoke as he continued to run the wheel then broke as he was in a straight line braking zone at the end of a staright away.
The damage to the car was minimal about $10k and Dymag paid for the damage and the full set of wheels the car was back at the track in 10 days time and the customer was fully reimbursed.
The magnesium center was sent to a testing lab here in the U.S. to make sure that it had all the properties it should have for cast magnesium the test results came back with passing results and upon inspection of the wheel it was determined that fatigue was what caused the failure.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 PM
jon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
Great questions. So for those of you who need to be enlightened, here's what I came up with in Wheel Manufacturing 101 before I decided to buy these rims.

Essentially, there are no regulatory bodies or enforcement agencies imposing testing on rims sold or imported in the US. There are, however, a few marking and dimensional requirments implemented by the DOT.

Any standards for performance and testing are VOLUNTARY on the manufacturer. There are organizations that have established recommended practices and specifications for rims but again, it's up to the builder to subscribe. The primary groups who have established these practices and whose stamps are widely found on both OEM and aftermarket wheels are:

SAE--Society of Automtive Engineers
TUV--German Regulatory Agency ( Safety Tested)
ISO--Manufacturing / Management Certification
JWL--Japanese Wheel Council
DOT --Dept of Transportation

The tests recommended (NOT MANDATED) by a few of these groups ( NOT THE DOT ) are limited to 3 areas.

1- Cornering Fatigue Test
2- Radial Fatigue Test
3- Impact Test

I question and seriously doubt any manufacturer, OEM or aftermarket, implements these testing procedures on every rim they build.

The perception that because a wheel is more expensive or that it's OEM therefore it must be better is flawed. Unless you're able to dig into a manufacturers files and see what processes are occuring---- I don't think any of you know what the hell you're driving on.

For the nervous nellies in the safety camp be advised there is far greater risk of a tire blowout at track and highway speeds than there is of catastrophic rim failure.

With that said, I have heard of rim failure occuring on an aftermarket rim. DYMAG--built of magnesium alloy and supposedly over engineered to handle any super car. Over $10gs for a set. An EPIC FAIL. Go Figure.

So Scott997---we're going to put the pipe down now and watch the rest of your bank accounts drain needlessly. Fire Up Buddy !!

Thanks for the very informative post, very appreciated. (sarcasm at the end was funny too, don't tell anybody i laughed.. hehehe)

Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ske
i've seen plenty of car accidents and mechanical failures in my time, and read even more in the newspaper, seen on the evening news, but i dont think i've ever even once seen or heard of someone say "wheel failure" or "he bought cheep wheels" etc as a cause of accident/death/injury.

Im sure plenty of you have though....
I have, on tracks. For a single example, a wheel failure is what killed Jim Clarke. And a friend of mine went straight off the track into a rock and dirt berm above turn four at Willow Springs. The left front wheel was broken, the outside one, but of course we can't know whether it broke as he turned in or in the collision with Mother Earth. He didn't live to ask.

Get cheap somewhere else would be my advice, but we all have to decide for ourselves how important to consider the safety components of a car. Personally, I have more pleasant things to consider in a fast car than wondering whether some no-name component was built with a conscience.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
jon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by simsgw
I have, on tracks. For a single example, a wheel failure is what killed Jim Clarke. And a friend of mine went straight off the track into a rock and dirt berm above turn four at Willow Springs. The left front wheel was broken, the outside one, but of course we can't know whether it broke as he turned in or in the collision with Mother Earth. He didn't live to ask.

Get cheap somewhere else would be my advice, but we all have to decide for ourselves how important to consider the safety components of a car. Personally, I have more pleasant things to consider in a fast car than wondering whether some no-name component was built with a conscience.

Uhm..

I believe the quest for lightweight is NOT the best way to keep the safety aspect as #1 consideration.

It's quite the opposite...

The last experience i had with lightweigt madness is with mountain bikes. Titanium, carbon, aluminum, etc.. was of every discussions but sometimes for bad reasons. I heard so many stories about carbon/aluminum frames delaminating, cracking, etc.. that were the cause of very bad accidents while the "cheap & heavy" bikes were solid like rock even after years of downhill rides.

Cheap = Dangerous
and
Expensive = Safer ?

I don't think so.
You can buy expensive wheels for many justified reasons but not that one.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
I think a "replica" for street use would be fine. Any track time or DE events would make me exclude this type of wheel. Just never know and I'm not one to want to find out.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jon8
Uhm..

I believe the quest for lightweight is NOT the best way to keep the safety aspect as #1 consideration.

It's quite the opposite...

The last experience i had with lightweigt madness is with mountain bikes. Titanium, carbon, aluminum, etc.. was of every discussions but sometimes for bad reasons. I heard so many stories about carbon/aluminum frames delaminating, cracking, etc.. that were the cause of very bad accidents while the "cheap & heavy" bikes were solid like rock even after years of downhill rides.

Cheap = Dangerous
and
Expensive = Safer ?

I don't think so.
You can buy expensive wheels for many justified reasons but not that one.
Jon,
I just have to disagree. Safety is a function of engineering, quality manufacturing and rock-solid testing. We manufacture wheels to published standards like SAE, TUV and JWL. As does any REPUTABLE company.
The issue isn't about cheap. There are some very fine low-cost wheels out there, like the new flow-formed OZs from Tire Rack. The OZs are TUV certified.
The issue is knowing what the hell you are doing and building quality wheels that perform to published standards. What pisses me off are the guys who steal other people's designs, make them in another country with no engineering or testing (and no intellectual property laws) and bring them back here and pass them off as "Replicas". If you buy that crap, you get just what you deserve. It's stealing, and no amount of sugar coating will change that.
Pursuing a lightweight solution isn't inherently unsafe, just as it isn't inherently safe. I recommend that you do your homework and make an intelligent choice. Ask for test data. Ask for proof of insurance. Buy from someone reputable who will be around to help you if you have a problem.
Hey, it's only your Porsche we're talking about.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
Jon,
I just have to disagree. Safety is a function of engineering, quality manufacturing and rock-solid testing. We manufacture wheels to published standards like SAE, TUV and JWL. As does any REPUTABLE company.
The issue isn't about cheap. There are some very fine low-cost wheels out there, like the new flow-formed OZs from Tire Rack. The OZs are TUV certified.
The issue is knowing what the hell you are doing and building quality wheels that perform to published standards. What pisses me off are the guys who steal other people's designs, make them in another country with no engineering or testing (and no intellectual property laws) and bring them back here and pass them off as "Replicas". If you buy that crap, you get just what you deserve. It's stealing, and no amount of sugar coating will change that.
Pursuing a lightweight solution isn't inherently unsafe, just as it isn't inherently safe. I recommend that you do your homework and make an intelligent choice. Ask for test data. Ask for proof of insurance. Buy from someone reputable who will be around to help you if you have a problem.
Mike,

First i would like to say that i'm not defending the China made products, i perfectly know what are the pros and cons because i'm in import business.
However, some people tend to make shortcuts in their mind: China = Bad.

It's as untrue and as simple-minded as USA = fat people.

Of course there is a lot of bad quality products from China and there is a lot of fat people in USA. But there is also a lot of slim womens in California ;-)

Thing is: it's a fact that high-end product/service company's, of any kind, WILL try to capitalize on that fear/insecurity about low quality perception with cheap stuff. I mean.. Part of their incomes are directly based on that.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that all companies in high-end market are dishonest, but they will surely not push their potential customers in the mass market arms!

Like i said, saving weight on wheels IS a good reason to buy expensive wheels IF you are serious about track racing (don't expect a 50whp-like upgrade, though)

It's also a good reason to buy if the proud-of-ownership thing makes you feel good.

And it's a good reason if you find a model and finish that suits your tastes better.

But for security reasons ? Well, to be honest i would be more worried to use some kind of extreme carbon-made lightweight wheels or forged wheels designed to save every grams possible than i could be with heavy, made-in-china, gravity casting (or low-pressure) wheels.

In many sports the lightweight quest shows exemples of failure, despite the facts that years of R&D were behind.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM
However, i fully agree with the sugar-coated "replica" thing: IT'S stealing (when the design is protected, of course).

Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Jon,
Well when I Forge or HRE or UB or any of the many, many wheel makers all have wheels that look identical to say HRE model 547 for example, (seems like everyone makes a wheel that looks like the 547), which one is the replica? and does that make all the other ones that look exactly the same replica's and therefor since replica's now junk? I am curious since I really don't know what determines a good wheel? Are my stock (heavy) GT2 wheels junk or are they good? I assume the factory stuff must be the best and always try to buy OEM, but is it really better? How do you really know? Or do you just think you do?, not you personally but society in general. Or is it like a Cadillac Escalade and a Chevy Tahoe or a Porsche Cayanne and a VW Toreg, or so many other things from appliances to furniture and in many cases just the small details like finish or trim, causing a big discrepency in price but the core of the product being exactly the same. A few years back I saw an article about speedline wheels, an OEM Speedline replacement was like 4 times the price of the exact same wheel marketed under another manufacturer in the aftermarket. Sometimes I think people don't really know what they don't know.

Last edited by jamie furman; 01-25-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:45 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Jon,
.... Safety is a function of engineering, quality manufacturing and rock-solid testing. ......
The nice part about the replica is that the engineering is taken from the Porsche wheel which we can assume has sound engineering behind it. Engineering is the most important part of the three things you mentioned. You can have great quality based on crappy engineering and you still have crap. Give China a little credit that they know how to cast parts and minimize porosity as good as anybody else.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM
ha lots of excuses for being cheap and compromising on safety. When you buy this garbage there is no standard. You want to buy replicas go ahead, they are cheap rip offs. I assume you buy your wives and girlfriends fake hand bags as well? You wear cheap suits? Fake watches? LOSERS!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MLindgren
The nice part about the replica is that the engineering is taken from the Porsche wheel which we can assume has sound engineering behind it. Engineering is the most important part of the three things you mentioned. You can have great quality based on crappy engineering and you still have crap. Give China a little credit that they know how to cast parts and minimize porosity as good as anybody else.
The operative word being "Taken". Sorry, it's just plain stealing.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Guys,

I think i'll show you an exemple based on real life experience.

Car: Porsche 911SC '78, strosek body kit (modified)

Wheels: Made in China 20 inches low-pressure casting (DOT), low cost, pretty heavy (27-32 lbs front & rear).

Tires: Extreme low profile 285-25-20 and 225-30-20 (which is actually the thinnest tire's sidewall that exists on the market -correct me if i'm wrong-)

Playground: http://montreal.about.com/od/montrea...tholes_FAQ.htm

I believe this is a very good recipe to get problems. To say the least..

Of course, i try to be cautious and avoid the potholes the best i can. But sometimes you hit one. And that one can be real bad, especially with that kind of vintage car mounted with such wheels/tires.

See the result:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/373080...rglass-911.jpg

Saying that it was a big hit is an understatement. I was actually shocked when that happened and felt pain in my neck for days. As you can see in the picture, the suspension bottomed out so badly that fiberglass cracked and a piece of tire was detached.

Needless to say i was worried about the wheels. I mean, i was sure few seconds after the hit i couldnt drive the car anymore. Not only the car was going perfectly well but i had the wheels inspected (of course) and... No damage. No cracking. No bending. Niet, nada. It doesnt shake on highway and i don't sense anything that makes me feel in danger.

It doesnt prove that made-in-china wheels are all that reliable, of course. But that very experience show me something: inexpensive but well-made products DO exist.

Edit: the chinese manufacturer that my wheels come from makes DOT-JWL and TUV wheels.

Last edited by jon8; 01-25-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:55 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Scott997
ha lots of excuses for being cheap and compromising on safety. When you buy this garbage there is no standard. You want to buy replicas go ahead, they are cheap rip offs. I assume you buy your wives and girlfriends fake hand bags as well? You wear cheap suits? Fake watches? LOSERS!
Hey genius, I think the post was about whether or not safety is being compromised-that has yet to be proven. Nobody ever questioned whether or not they were rip-offs. What an idiot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody have experience with these replica wheels?