997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche 997 Battery Tray and Size Facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
battery

Originally Posted by Cattman
How can you tell when it's time for a new battery? Does it crank differently? Or did you just get it tested? I'm 50k miles and 5 yrs into mine, and expect I'm due soon.
CATTMAN
Never had a problem with mine but replaced it after 4 1/2 years as "preventative maintenance": did not want to be 30 miles from 'anywhere' some Saturday or Sunday and have it not start.

As I think I said earlier on this thread I went with the MTP93 ( $135 ) after way too much investigation. Did not want a sealed battery since I use a tender if it's going to be parked for more than a week. Overkill, I'm sure, but I'm happy.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Mine just started to crank differently

6 years on this battery and the starts were just slow so I changed it out before any trouble.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 AM
VTach is on a distinguished road
Exact same reason here: preventive maintenance. Mine's not a DD and I found the battery dead about 1 year ago. I managed to keep it alive with the Porsche batter maintainer since. I'm heading off to a DE weekend soon and didn't want to wake up to a dead Moll!

BTW...used the maintainer during the swap and had no warning lights at all when restarting.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:47 PM
djlod is on a distinguished road
I've read several battery threads and it started making me paranoid.
I called McKenna and spoke with my service advisor.
He said that there are many P cars (daily drivers, that are as old as 7 years) that are still using their original battery.
I was just about to replace my battery (4.5 years old), but now I'm thinking otherwise.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djlod
I've read several battery threads and it started making me paranoid.
I called McKenna and spoke with my service advisor.
He said that there are many P cars (daily drivers, that are as old as 7 years) that are still using their original battery.
I was just about to replace my battery (4.5 years old), but now I'm thinking otherwise.

If you have kept a maintainer on it, you may be alright, but it's still a gamble. I wouldn't particularly rely on an SA's advice, a tech maybe, but not a SA's (my opinion of course). If your start seems even a tad bit sluggish, it would be a good idea to swap it out just to be on the safe side. You can put a multimeter on the battery and test it as well. It should be showing around 12.6 V at full charge i.e. after coming off a maintainer. The average life span of a lead/acid battery is 4-5 years depending on climate. 7 years is not unheard of, but is definitely longer than average.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 PM
djlod is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
If you have kept a maintainer on it, you may be alright, but it's still a gamble. I wouldn't particularly rely on an SA's advice, a tech maybe, but not a SA's (my opinion of course). If your start seems even a tad bit sluggish, it would be a good idea to swap it out just to be on the safe side. You can put a multimeter on the battery and test it as well. It should be showing around 12.6 V at full charge i.e. after coming off a maintainer. The average life span of a lead/acid battery is 4-5 years depending on climate. 7 years is not unheard of, but is definitely longer than average.
Thanks for the info MJF.
I will definitely talk to my service tech and have him test the battery when I have the oil changed.
Peace of mind is priceless.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 PM
broker929 is on a distinguished road
Hey quick question ,I have a 2006 911 4s and I need to change the battery now if I were to completely disconnect the old battery and then put the new one, would this reset anything in the car.?
Thanks!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
No. If the battery is out for a while you may get a PSM failure when you start it up but it'll go away after a few miles.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
I just installed an Odyssey battery as well as the machined aluminum Rennline battery bracket. It's a beautiful thing. Not that it matters, but the Odyssey is much less than 1/2 the weight of the stock one. Just on principle, having a 45 lb weight mounted high up in the car seems odd. And I've not had a problem with it maintaining a charge for 7-10 days.
Photos if you'd like. It's a very nice piece.
BTW, I previously had a Braille battery with a home-made bracket after my stock battery got a bit tired. I was not impressed - with either the battery or the service I received from the company - and would not recommend it.
I just looked on the Odssey site and they call for a PC1220 (45lbs, 70AH, 11.89"L) as an option and PC1350 (60lbs, 95 AH, 14.84"L) as the base. Which of these (or other BCI option) did you use?

ChuckJ

Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Go to the rennline site. They have a custom hold down for the odssey 925 or 600 battery. Stay away from the 600 unless you have a race car. Not enough CCA for DD.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:13 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
bump - is it advisable to remove the battery tray? anyone find exact size as OEM? Thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
Had a Bosch battery installed: $139.00 (dealer cost +about $10.00) Exact fit and supposed to be of good quality.

Always check the manufacter date on the battery before purchase/install: get a "fresh" one.

I can get into into my 08 C2S trunk for the exact model number if anyone wants the model number. (PM me)

Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM
CaltechME is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bosch drop-in battery

The Bosch 49-850B from Pep Boys at $99.99 is a drop-in replacement in a 2006 Carrera C2 except needing a nut held by a 13mm wrench beneath 4th battery tray hole as others have noted. Side vent hole identical to original Moll. 850 CCA, 36 month full replacement, 96 month pro-rated warranty.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CaltechME
The Bosch 49-850B from Pep Boys at $99.99 is a drop-in replacement in a 2006 Carrera C2 except needing a nut held by a 13mm wrench beneath 4th battery tray hole as others have noted. Side vent hole identical to original Moll. 850 CCA, 36 month full replacement, 96 month pro-rated warranty.
Or Walmart MAXX 94R - $77 - exact fit uses factory hold down clamp and bolt and vent hose. Same great warranty - better than Porsche.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 PM
tball is on a distinguished road
another report for everyone

In the interest of sharing...
Went out to crank my 06 C2S and got blinking headlamps, no starter turn, and windows rolling down in half-inch increments. It had the Interstate MTP in it with an 09 mfg date, so it's pretty new. My trickle charger rejected the battery and gave me a red "trouble" light, so I removed the battery and started shopping. I'm very lucky that thing died in my garage and not out somewhere. The tech at Autozone ran a diagnostic and the battery was down to 100 CCA; spec for the battery is 640, I think. [stop yelling at me...I'm getting a battery tender].

Nobody in town had the Interstate in stock so I went with an Autozone Duralast. It's heavier () but has 750 CCA (more than the OEM) and was available. Like others have experienced, it's about 1.5 inches longer than the OEM and the 4th tray hole is not threaded. I Gorilla Glued a nut to the underside and finished the install without any drama. I was extremely worried about how PCM would react to having all the power removed all day but she purred right back up and I only had to reset the clock. All the PASM fail warnings disappeared in a few seconds [big sigh of relief].

In looking through all the battery threads while shopping, I was compelled to buy the CTEK 7002 battery tender (on Amazon for about $120) with the cigarette lighter output adapter ($11 from CTEK). Not here yet, but I'll use it since I only drive the car 2-3 times a week.

Last edited by tball; 01-15-2011 at 07:30 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 Battery Tray and Size Facts