997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying a 997 sight unseen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 PM
superman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nice
you need to see it before you buy

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
pureretro is on a distinguished road
I recently purchased my 997S sight unseen, but at least had a friend who lived locally check it out and take it to a dealer for a PPI. The timing was just not right for me to travel in person, but the car had the options I sought after.

Like my local dealer responded when I had a specific option want list: "let me call the used car factory".

I have a slight appetite for risk if I've been waiting over 9 months for the right one to show up on the market.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
I buy and sell apx. 3 cars per year, mostly sight unseen, and some through private party.

I think the advice you have in this thread is all inclusive. I'd add two things to consider:

1) Be thorough. But understand even if you have a CPO report, complete VIN check, etc., things can still go wrong. See

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...xperience.html

2) Consider using a car broker, especially if buying from a private party. The car broker will coordinate things like the PPI, proper sales contract, etc. The broker would buy the car from the PP, then you'd buy the car from the broker. The broker would take a small commission fee, but especially for a PP purchase, this may be worth it if something does go wrong. Give Kevin at Cats Exotics (www.catsexotics) a call. They're board sponsors.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Jetpilot3 is on a distinguished road
I bought my 911 from half way around the world, sight unseen, and online. I'm more than impressed with the research I did (photos, PPI) and with the Porsche dealer Champion.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
There are so many variables- private party vs dealership, reputation of dealership, your personality and tolerance for imperfections, etc. From a reputable dealership for a car under warrantee/CPO who is willing to put everything down in writing- may be OK. Anything short of that would be difficult-

Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Ricardo Canada is on a distinguished road
I found my 997 on the Autotrader, spoke to the private seller. We set up a conditional deal (which included a 3rd party inspection - I made the arrangements, he delivered the car for inspection). The inspection went well, I flew out to Vancouver and, based on the due diligence I had performed, upon seeing the car I was comfortable enough to immediately close the transaction and drive the car home to Calgary. By doing it this way I was able to protect myself and the only money put at risk was the price of the inspection, car proof and airfare.

For me, the most comfortable way to buy a used car is to set things up so that you actually get to touch the car before the money is released to the seller.

Good luck in finding the right car

Old 03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ricardo Canada
I found my 997 on the Autotrader, spoke to the private seller. We set up a conditional deal (which included a 3rd party inspection - I made the arrangements, he delivered the car for inspection). The inspection went well, I flew out to Vancouver and, based on the due diligence I had performed, upon seeing the car I was comfortable enough to immediately close the transaction and drive the car home to Calgary. By doing it this way I was able to protect myself and the only money put at risk was the price of the inspection, car proof and airfare.

For me, the most comfortable way to buy a used car is to set things up so that you actually get to touch the car before the money is released to the seller.

Good luck in finding the right car
Wow, almost my exact situation. Found my car on Autotrader from a private seller, had a few email exchanges, pictures, and than phone conversations. Turns out he was a big auto enthusiast (trading his 997 for a Gallardo). We agreed for him to deliver the car to a Porsche dealership for a PPI (including DME scan) which I paid for. I flew down and actually met him at the Porsche dealership where the car was coming out of the PPI, I met with the service manager and we went over the PPI, saw the car in person and it was as perfect as described, seller and I went to a local bank where I got a cashiers check, check/title changed hands, and I drove the car home.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Yep. Exactly how I bought my last 2 Porsches. Lots of due diligence up front, then final personal inspection to close the deal.