997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 6-Speed Transmission - Notchy?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 PM
the997dude is on a distinguished road
I have this also when shifting into first. Even when the clutch is pushed all the way down and I try to put it into 1st from a dead stop, it won't go into first until I start to let off the clutch and push it hard into 1st gear

Old 11-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Adjusting shift cables shouldn't do anything except alter the angle of the lever. All clicks, springyness, limits in movement etc are all coming from the gear box. The shift lever is a floppy, free moving unit and adjusting cable length won't do anything.

Read my comments about half way down the page... I installed the Numeric shifter and it helps... not sure why but it did.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...-of-5-a-3.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Wheeler will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by the997dude
I have this also when shifting into first. Even when the clutch is pushed all the way down and I try to put it into 1st from a dead stop, it won't go into first until I start to let off the clutch and push it hard into 1st gear
Give it a little throttle blip. That gets mine to pop in sometimes. But ya, until the car is warm...or sitting still...1st gear can be tough to get into.

Also, here is a thread discussing the cup cables and why they make a difference... http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-g...o-the-fix.html

Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 PM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
@Bruce

You probably had some slack in the cables which was picked up during the Numeric install.

I installed the GT3 shift console and it made virtually no difference.

I fully agree with you that the transmission itself is at the root cause of our shifting problems.

Regards,

CF

Old 11-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Tough first gear is in no way inherent to Porsche or their gear box. Most performance sports car manual transmissions are tough to get into first gear when cold or rolling...almost always require a throttle blip or some magic. :-)

Old 11-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cool flash
You probably had some slack in the cables which was picked up during the Numeric install.

.... I fully agree with you that the transmission itself is at the root cause of our shifting problems.

Regards,

CF
CF, regarding the "slack".... the cables don't have slack in them as they are not under any tension. The shift lever both pulls, say when you go into 2nd, 4th, or 6th and pushes the cable R, 1, 3, 5.

I always thought, incorrectly, that the cables were under tension like bicycle brakes or derailleurs... move one way and the tension increases, the other tension decreases but there is always tension. These transmission cables are completely slack when they are in any gear and neutral. That is why adjusting them at the shifter lever has no effect.

But yep, these issues are all the transmission side.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 11-30-2014, 08:02 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cool flash
@Bruce

I installed the GT3 shift console and it made virtually no difference.

I fully agree with you that the transmission itself is at the root cause of our shifting problems.

Regards,

CF
My -06 C4S was a 6sp. Hands down the best manual transmission I've driven and I've been through a lot of them. Had a B&M short shift kit installed which going by a lot of threads on this subject makes things worse. Made mine even better so I have to admit I never understood all the complaints on this subject. I could shift mine using one or two finger tips, even on cold mornings. Always smooth, precise and effortless, especially with the short shifter.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:47 AM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
@sandwedge

You may be an exception! Even Porsche added a disclaimer to the short shift kit about more force being necessary when shifting cold.

Regards,

CF

Old 06-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Zaamz911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Should I be worried?

I'm getting a 2010 911 997.2 and the car fax report shows it had a pretty major fix at the dealer at 50k miles. The car currently has 57k miles. Should I be worried? Should I buy extended warranty?

Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Sunroof replaced/repaired
Transmission computer/module replaced
Transmission computer/module reprogrammed
Transmission replaced
Valve body overhauled/resealed
Valve body replaced

This was all in one visit. Please tell me what you think I should do or if I should be worried. Thank you!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Sam Nobel
I'm getting a 2010 911 997.2 and the car fax report shows it had a pretty major fix at the dealer at 50k miles. The car currently has 57k miles. Should I be worried? Should I buy extended warranty?

Transmission replaced
Valve body replaced

This was all in one visit. Please tell me what you think I should do or if I should be worried. Thank you!
That's a lot of work for sure. It's not in a flood area is it? Obviously just a guess, but that's a lot of computer work. Might be able to call the dealer and get more info.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:32 PM
scottiemac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zaamz911

Transmission replaced
Valve body replaced

The car you are talking about sounds like it must have a PDK, not a six speed manual that the rest of the posts on this thread are about. Totally different animal.