997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

what cars to 997.1 owners move to?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
For me, the next step will be a 997.2TT PDK.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sin911
+1 on the 997 GT3

I bought a 2008 C2S, and then started to mod it slowly. Then the project got out of hand and got huge! I really am happy with the results, but if I was to do it again I would go for a 997 GT3. It is a much more exclusive car with natural talent for the track.
The new Turbo with PDK and PTV might just give the Gt3 a real run. The 997.2tt clocked 2.9 to 60 --stock. I believe its partially due to the efficient shifting of the pdk mated to the Turbo where boost isn't lost. The susoension is a bit tighter too and it's revealing that in recent posts describing track data. And BTW .. there's yet to be a Turbo "S"

I am not one for the integrated engine and feel that is the biggest drawback .

Old 02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Walin,

What do you mean you don't have the 1 on 1 feeling with the Gallardo? It is FAR more personal then the M3.

From my 09 911 I'm thinking about a GT3 that I custom order.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by JmanE55
For me, the next step will be a 997.2TT PDK.
U got my vote! I am considering a 997.2 PDK TT. I guess I am offically looking!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
I'd still stretch to a 997.2 if you could. There are many small improvements that make them much easier to live with as an everyday driver.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The new Turbo with PDK and PTV might just give the Gt3 a real run. The 997.2tt clocked 2.9 to 60 --stock. I believe its partially due to the efficient shifting of the pdk mated to the Turbo where boost isn't lost. The susoension is a bit tighter too and it's revealing that in recent posts describing track data. And BTW .. there's yet to be a Turbo "S"

I am not a guy who likes FI, I prefer NA cars. The GT3 hits 8,400 RPM which means a whole lot of fun on the track and on twisty roads

Larry, I am a track going guy and would prefer a GT3 over a Turbo any day. It's just a personal preference. If the person who is going to buy the car will be only driving on the street then a Turbo would be more reasonable...

If I was in the market to buy a Porsche and had the money I would get a 997.1 GT3 and do the SW 3.9 conversion

Old 02-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Izzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to beholdIzzone is a splendid one to behold
I started with a 997.1 then made the mistake of driving a GT3.

Once I drove the GT3 I spent the next six months trying to find the perfect GT3.....look at me now

Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
I think as others have made the point....

For those who buy the car for a look-at-me experience, it wears thin and given their means, move to something that draws greater attention. But more exotic cars aren't necessarily more enjoyable to drive.

For those who like driving...assuming they make friends with the rear-engine layout...you tend to experiment more within the Porsche line.

While I think about a TT sometimes, I absolutely enjoy the simplicity of 2wd and NA. Add a nice PSE....and you have good sounds and an interesting ride. AWD may occasionally get you an extra tenth of a second...but I don't care. I got this to be entertainment, and for me, 2wd has more character. A bit more engaging to control out on the edge. A lighter feel. Just a nice combination.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 AM
GTSilver997 will become famous soon enough
I don’t think that there’s any other make that I’d aspire or wish to move-on to. A Lambo or Ferrari would be logical, though I can’t imagine them fitting my specific needs much beyond a weekend’s thrashing.

My ideal garage would be the latest 911 Turbo for everyday driving, coupled with a 73’ 911 RS for when I really want to savor the drive. In the mean time, I’m actually quite happy with my 997S. It is practically invisible (does not draw unwanted attention), but offers (to me) the perfect balance in performance, connection, looks, reliability, and cost.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 AM
henrysko will become famous soon enoughhenrysko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Izzone
I started with a 997.1 then made the mistake of driving a GT3.

Once I drove the GT3 I spent the next six months trying to find the perfect GT3.....look at me now

It's probably a good thing I haven't driven one yet cause that's where I'd like to go next.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
It's an interesting thing. IMHO there are faster cars, quicker cars and more beautiful cars. I've had the chance to drive a bunch of them and own one of them. And I'm ashamed to say that I don't know what the term 'halo car' means.
But there are only two performance car lines that can serve as (nearly) daily drivers. That is the 911 and the Corvette. Some will laugh at the latter but both can be described as 'the supercar you can drive every day'.
They both exhibit (incrementally as you move up line from version to version) incredible speed, acceleration, handling and road feel. But they can also be driven in traffic, around town, possess some storage space, and have the visibility and maneuverability to drive in heavy traffic, in the city or on a crowded highway.
As soon as you move in to F-cars, Gallardo's or others, you're sacrificing utility and visibility and you're also drawing a big enough crowd as to be a problem - either embarrassing or creating some risk for the driver and passenger.
I must admit that although the performance level of my Ford GT (with enhanced supercharger) is far beyond the 997.1/S, the S is a joy to drive, with less worry, and a wider range of utility. I still won't leave the Porsche in a parking garage (I don't leave the Ford ANYWHERE!), but I can take it to work, on errands and on trips without worrying much, and knowing that I can maneuver it through any traffic and/or road situation I'll run in to.
If money and practicality were no issues, the successor to my 997.1 cab would be another cab. That is, a Carrera GT. The ultimate cab, and IMHO, the greatest street-legal sports car ever built.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
73 914 2.0 man to a 76 911S targa man to 05 997S C2 tip supercharged to an 08 997TT 6spd stock - hopefully next to a GT2.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Jetpilot3 is on a distinguished road
I went from two Acura NSX's to my Carrera.

I'll let you know what I think once my 911 arrives this weekend!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Verde
It's an interesting thing. IMHO there are faster cars, quicker cars and more beautiful cars. I've had the chance to drive a bunch of them and own one of them. And I'm ashamed to say that I don't know what the term 'halo car' means.
But there are only two performance car lines that can serve as (nearly) daily drivers. That is the 911 and the Corvette.
I would never think of 997 car as of only single car I drive. In our house it is a third car and in this role it is perfect, as it may be substituted at any moment if needed.

It runs great, but as it was stated before, you need to transport mulch bags from home depot sometimes as well.

As of what car to move next after 997.1 - obviously, to 997.2. But before that I will need to get new Lexus to replace old one. Frankly I see no reason so far to replace 997.1 car at all. It is highly modular and almost any component is upgradable. You have to kill chassis completely to have a real need to replace it. Other than that it is cheaper to replace engine than to get whole new car.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1

Depends on what "yet to be" means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBwsXb-v8o

It is clearly here, just not available...YET

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what cars to 997.1 owners move to?