997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

protective grid in front of the radiator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
spud99 has a spectacular aura aboutspud99 has a spectacular aura aboutspud99 has a spectacular aura about
I just slam on the brakes.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Question: what happens when those grills are installed and fine debris gets through them (and it will)? It seems that to remove it the bumper must be taken off...
my grills have a bug enough opening that I have a vacuum attachment that I can slip in and suck out debris. Can't really be done on the smaller mesh grills.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Question: what happens when those grills are installed and fine debris gets through them (and it will)? It seems that to remove it the bumper must be taken off...

As I was cleaning mine out today, I was thinking a) grill might be nice or b) then how the hell would I clean them out?

And deep down into the low corners, where I don't normally look - what a mess - looked like the beach at Atlantic City - candy wrappers and all sorts of crap.

I'm thinking no grills - vacuum extension and wash cloth. If God meant for my ducts to have grills, he would have made them that way - and probably didn't for a good reason.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
As I was cleaning mine out today, I was thinking a) grill might be nice or b) then how the hell would I clean them out?

And deep down into the low corners, where I don't normally look - what a mess - looked like the beach at Atlantic City - candy wrappers and all sorts of crap.

I'm thinking no grills - vacuum extension and wash cloth. If God meant for my ducts to have grills, he would have made them that way - and probably didn't for a good reason.
Even with grills stuff will surely get in there and the radiators will still need to be cleaned !
Exactly why I never did grills!

Stacy

Old 03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
Even with grills stuff will surely get in there and the radiators will still need to be cleaned !
Exactly why I never did grills!

Stacy
That was my conclusion. Grills may only protect from an improbable radiator hit. More trouble than what they are worth.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 AM
spud99 has a spectacular aura aboutspud99 has a spectacular aura aboutspud99 has a spectacular aura about
After having to replace 2 windshields and looking at the debris damage to the film on the front of my car (lots of winter driving) I thought the hassle of the occasional bumper removal (2 hours every 2 years) was less than the potential of a holed radiator. If you do not drive on graveled roads the screens may not be neccessary.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spud99
After having to replace 2 windshields and looking at the debris damage to the film on the front of my car (lots of winter driving) I thought the hassle of the occasional bumper removal (2 hours every 2 years) was less than the potential of a holed radiator. If you do not drive on graveled roads the screens may not be neccessary.
So there you go. Grills for graveled roads. For the 99.9% 911 owners who do not drive on graveled roads, we will pass.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Jesse95911 will become famous soon enough
That was my conclusion. Grills may only protect from an improbable radiator hit. More trouble than what they are worth.

I sustained the "improbable radiator hit" my first month of ownership while driving on the freeway at less than 50 mph. Total cost of repair: $1,400.00.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Even after just a few hundred miles of driving the radiator cooling fins were was showing evidence of taking hits from gravel and such. The DIY grills are a bit of trouble to put in, but worth it if the mesh deflects a direct hit from a larger piece of road debris. As far as cleaning out the radiators I did not put any grill material in the center opening as I was more concerned about a bullseye radiator hit rather than something hiting and being deflected toward the radiators. I can easily get a vacuum extention inside to suck up the grit and grime.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
BlueJay73 will become famous soon enough
Re: the cleaning problem with grills installed.
Is there no way to access inside the radiator wells from below, like by taking off some underbody panel, instead of taking off the bumper/grill assembly?

Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlueJay73
Re: the cleaning problem with grills installed.
Is there no way to access inside the radiator wells from below, like by taking off some underbody panel, instead of taking off the bumper/grill assembly?
I'm thinking about trying to get a 1" hole drilled through the underbody panel just in front of the radiators that I can put a snap-in cover on so I could flush out all the sand and such. They sell them at Lowes and some auto part stores.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:00 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
Just use chicken wire. Lots of room to get the vaccum in there!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
I've wanted to do this for quite a while. Even with low miles, my radiator fins are bent from Boston area road debris. I'd prefer to not have to take off the front bumper. I think one of us needs to make a nice template and offer it up to 6speed users (or for those selling this stuff to realize it's worth $50-100 vs. $250 or more.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
RH512 is on a distinguished road
they don't have the 997.2 listed but have you looked at these??
http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalo...y_styling.html

Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jesse95911
I sustained the "improbable radiator hit" my first month of ownership while driving on the freeway at less than 50 mph. Total cost of repair: $1,400.00.

Yikes. OK, well sides only then starting to sound like an OK idea. Seems like some simple pop in/pop out solution would be available.