997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What does your car say about you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 PM
leed012 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Red997
I'm not making a statement. I'm just a car guy. When I was a kid I played with car toys and I continue to do so as an adult. The only difference is that they cost more now. I would bet that's what many of us have in common, we love cars.

As for my 911, it's just the best choice in toy available today. It's fast, attractive, fun, and has an fine history. For all that it offers, it's reasonably priced and reliable. What other toy could offer all of this?
When I was a teenager, I could only afford a 1970VW and watch the 911's drive by hearing that distinctive sound and hoped one day I could drive one, not thinking I would be an owner some day. Everyone drives what they like for some reason or another and I chose Porsche because of the engineering, history and because of the sound and how it makes me feel when I drive it. I'm not a rich guy nor arrogant but just a porschephille with a silly grin on his face everytime I hear that motor crank over. No offense to the wealthy. Stereotype...??? - I'm just an average joe addicted to enjoying the pure sound of porsche and proud to own one.

Last edited by leed012; 03-26-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Seems like a lot of the OP's premises are just WAGs - says nothing about anything other than preconceptions.

There are just too many diverse people owning cars for all sorts of reasons. I do think there are hard core drivers that love the car and there are those who love the bling - and everywhere in between.

I do find it kind of cool that so many women in Cali will drive a car like this, especially if a 6spd - not exactly a cushy ride. Of course women will also wear ridiculously uncomfortable shoes just for the look as well, so maybe it's like that. I have my own prejudice demons it seems.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Mrgags is on a distinguished road
I'm gonna be 23 next month, I drive a 2006 carrera s, my friends ask why must i drive a porsche at such a young age. I tell them i don't want to have any regrets in life, I enjoy my life as it goes on. I work hard for my money, so if i can afford it, i will drive it, the day i can't, is the day i go to a corolla. on bad weather days, raining, windy, snowy, i drive a 03' a4 quattro 6spd, my beater, but if the weather is good, there is nothing better than my 911, which i love sooooo dearly.

now as my home boy puts it, its the panty dropper, nothing wrong with that, eh?

Old 03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I think mine says I NEED help for my OCD disorder......THAT's it!

Stacy

Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
dma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond reputedma550 has a reputation beyond repute
Mine says: I must be compensating for something.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:17 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dma550
Mine says: I must be compensating for something.
No one ever has said or even implied that to me, but if someone did at a moment when I didn't feel like soothing their feelings, I would simply say they misunderstand: I just like to keep a matched set of equipment in my life.

I have always suspected that people who speak of sports cars as compensation feel a personal inadequacy that makes them fear being overmatched by such cars. So they drive something invisible and very humble to match their self image. It isn't a case of "having nothing to prove" so much as having nothing they can prove. If you see the distinction.

Gary

Old 03-26-2010, 08:39 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
I do find it kind of cool that so many women in Cali will drive a car like this, especially if a 6spd - not exactly a cushy ride. Of course women will also wear ridiculously uncomfortable shoes just for the look as well, so maybe it's like that. I have my own prejudice demons it seems.
I was just amazed. I really couldn't believe it, every 911 I saw had a woman behind the wheel. Didn't matter if it was a base Carrera or a 4S. Seems to be the ultimate poseur ride in OC. You are assuming they are 6 spd; there are plenty of tips and now PDKs around. I found it hard to consider the 911 an "enthusiast's" car. I drive mine because I'm an enthusiast - that's it. If the same car had a VW marque on it, I'd probably be happier. The car is just a great drive.
To those in their 20's, not sure where you go from here. Better off to save a couple of bucks and cherish the moment later. If I had a 911 in my 20's, I'd be dead. I long explored triple digit speeds, but the cars took about 60 seconds to get there! I think that saved me...

Old 03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
I was just amazed. I really couldn't believe it, every 911 I saw had a woman behind the wheel. Didn't matter if it was a base Carrera or a 4S. Seems to be the ultimate poseur ride in OC.
Now those are some demons surfacing. You never met a woman who's an enthusiast for cars like ours? That's a real shame.

Gary

Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I love to be the cynic. I've met plenty of women that seem to be enthusiasts for Porsches...

Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Mrgags
now as my home boy puts it, its the panty dropper, nothing wrong with that, eh?
Mrgags,

Just make sure you have a blanket or something on hand before those panties drop. You don't want get all of that "stuff" all over your leather seats.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by simsgw
No one ever has said or even implied that to me, but if someone did at a moment when I didn't feel like soothing their feelings, I would simply say they misunderstand: I just like to keep a matched set of equipment in my life.

I have always suspected that people who speak of sports cars as compensation feel a personal inadequacy that makes them fear being overmatched by such cars. So they drive something invisible and very humble to match their self image. It isn't a case of "having nothing to prove" so much as having nothing they can prove. If you see the distinction.

Gary

Nice - I like this perspective

for rymw3 "I love to be the cynic. I've met plenty of women that seem to be enthusiasts for Porsches... "

Better that than those who don't ;-)

Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 PM
tri
tri is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about you guys, but only bald old men compliment me on my car and never hot young ladies. If anything, this car is more of a boy magnet than a babe magnet... How's that for a slap in the face reality check?

As for you are what you drive, it's only true up to a certain extent. I mean if you don't care about what you drive, then the phrase doesn't apply to you. However, if you are a motorcar enthusiast, then you are what you drive definitely applies since you know your options and you have chosen to drive what you drive based on that knowledge. Therefore, you are what you drive.

I love my car for one simple reason - It is everything that I want it to be. It has everything I need, and nothing I don't. It's straight forward, and (cliche) to the point. C2S: because I need everything that comes with an S... because I don't need wider hips nor AWD ...because I don't need a drop top ...because I don't need horse power bragging rights... because 385 is more than enough...

Old 03-27-2010, 12:14 AM
mdrobc13 is on a distinguished road
Mine says catch me if you can! LOL

Old 03-27-2010, 04:43 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tri
only bald old men compliment me on my car ...
Ah, grasshopper, you have much to learn on why this occurs. Please give credit to us "old bald men" to know what's what. We've seen it all, done it twice, and got the T-shirts to prove it. Never forget that old age and treachery will win out over youth and enthusiasm every time. Never get in a fight with an old bald guy; he knows he probably can't beat you, so he'll just shoot you. Bald heads are a sign of an overabundance of Male Testosterone; introduce us to your girlfriend at your own peril. The next time a old bald guy compliments you on your car, be respectful and remember-God only made a few good heads, the rest he put hair on.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
^ lol!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does your car say about you?