997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

RE-11's, need some more feedback, reviews

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 AM
equ
equ can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by wolfnards
Would Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position be an option at all? I know it's an All-Season tire, but the ratings are very comparable (at least on tirerack.com user ratings).
Apples and oranges. We put them on my gf's honda and they're very nice to commute with, drive around town etc, but you'd be losing a lot of feel going from a ps2 to a 960. The 960a/s is very good but it's in the same class with ps a/s or zero nero a/s. I'd put them a on sports sedan but not my cayman e.g. (Unless said cayman was at 50k miles and was being converted to a commute-mobile perhaps).

If you had to have some winter capability and only one set of tires, it would be a choice. If you don't driven in the winter, or mega miles, go with a dedicated summer tire.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
been running RE-11s for about 10k miles now, they're great. I don't find them loud at all (no more so the the Pirelli's they replaced at least). The grip is actually quite good, i ran r-compound dunlops on my audi s4 for daily use and these RE11s are definitely on par (in street driving). Dry grip is really good, i'm actually surprised the treadwear rating isn't lower. But from what I've heard, treadwear rating is bs anyways.

Only downside i've seen so far is they tend to hydroplane easy, nothing crazy, just that they can't evacuate as well as the pirelli's could. but given it rains about 20 days a year where I live, no biggie. I say major thumbs up, and when you factor in the price, they're golden.

Last edited by bbywu; 09-07-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: MobileMe gallery locked behind password
Old 04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by equ
Apples and oranges. We put them on my gf's honda and they're very nice to commute with, drive around town etc, but you'd be losing a lot of feel going from a ps2 to a 960. The 960a/s is very good but it's in the same class with ps a/s or zero nero a/s. I'd put them a on sports sedan but not my cayman e.g. (Unless said cayman was at 50k miles and was being converted to a commute-mobile perhaps).

If you had to have some winter capability and only one set of tires, it would be a choice. If you don't driven in the winter, or mega miles, go with a dedicated summer tire.
fair enough, thanks!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
ChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud of
Try the RE050A N1 tires. I think you'll like them. 3K miles on mine and I am pleasantly surprised a the the mix of handling and ride quality!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
My rear tires (PS2) are toast. Cords are showing through on the inside edge.

But fronts still have a lot of tread left. Are you guys that switch tire brands often switching the fronts every time too?

Seems rears wear twice as fast as fronts, so if you want to try a different brand tire, you either have to replace all 4 at once or run different tires in the front than the rears.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
My rear tires (PS2) are toast.
For what it matters I was at dealer site today and saw a lot of stacked PS2 tires there.
So if you are in need for PS2 tires - give your service manager a call, may be they have `em.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 PM
swajames will become famous soon enoughswajames will become famous soon enough
I have the RE-11s, they're as tremendous tire. I won't be buying any more PS2s after having the RE-11. Not only are they cheaper, I think they are the superior tire. For me they grip, ride and turn better than the Michelin.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Would it be OK to have my PS2's in front with RE-11's in rear until the front's wear out?
CATTMAN

Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Try them and see - if the car doesn't feel right, then change out the front too...

Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
The long-standing guidance is 'no mixing'. I believe the urgency of that statement increases as the performance of the car increases. So in our case, it's a harsh warning. OTOH, anything can be accommodated if you observe it closely and are constantly vigilant. Not sure if that increased attention and commensurate limitation are worth the savings for one more set of rear PS's though. I don't track my car, but wouldn't do it regardless.
That said, and maybe I need to re-read this thread, but the increased weights of the RE11's would make them non-starters for me.

Originally Posted by Cattman
Would it be OK to have my PS2's in front with RE-11's in rear until the front's wear out?
CATTMAN

Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, I personally would not do it - but if Cattman does decide to be a guinea pig, I am interested in the results.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Goon is on a distinguished road
My PS2's did not handle track driving well in my 987 S. I managed to put a big kink in one of the rear tires and that is the first time I've ever seen that kind of damage to a tire after a track day. I can see that the tires were really stressed on the sidewalls. I just ordered some RE11's to replace them and I'm going for a track day and a trip to the Tail of the Dragon in the smokey's during the same week so I'll make a post later as to how they held up. I drive my car daily and do about 4 track days a year.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I have been running RE-11s this season. See more info/reviews regarding RE-11's/Hoosiers R6's/ MPSCUP tires at the thread below:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ls-re-11s.html

Old 09-05-2011, 02:45 PM
superbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to all
Also consider the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08's, they normally perform slightly better than the RE-11 (at least in all the comparisons I've read). I have them on my 2008 Civic Type R and absolutely love them, and I've used all of the tires on this level (RE-11, Direzza Star Spec, RE-01R, etc). Only negative is they only go up to 295 in 18 and 19" widths.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 AM
IamRobG is on a distinguished road
I have the RE960's that were put on the car when i bought it. Coming from Nitto NT05's, these tires are terrible in the handling area. I have an 08 and my brother has a '10 Carrera and playing around one day he took a turn that i took verryyyy wobbly and squirrely. I wouldn't recommend the 960's for any time of spirited driving or cornering. Very scary at the limit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RE-11's, need some more feedback, reviews