997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

pagid brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
pagid brake pads

could somebody who remembers this remind real quick - there are yellow, orange, black pads and now we also have blue compaund as well.

how do they differ exactly? google is not very helpful with details on them for some reason.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM
afridi is on a distinguished road
*FRICTION attributes* RS 4-2-1 – BLACK Friction Level Cold 0.36
At 100°C 0.38
At 300°C 0.42
Max 0.45 @ 500°C
Constant working temperature 300 - 500°C
Max temperature for short period only 550°C

A very stable material with low disc wear. It has a wide operating range with good low temperature performance and low brake noise. Fitted as original equipment on many high performance road vehicles, this is the best all round pad for road use.

RS 4-2 – BLUE Friction Level Cold 0.40
At 100°C 0.42
At 300°C 0.43
Max 0.46 @ 550°C
Constant working temperature 350 - 600°C
Max temperature for short period only 650°C

The most popular material, (known as 'Pagid Blue'), RS4-2 gives a good low temperature response. It is very stable, with superior modulation and feel. RS4-2 has a medium co-efficient of friction with good pad and disc life. Suitable for many applications especially gravel rally and wet tarmac, where control is needed.

RS 4-4 – ORANGE Friction Level Cold 0.39
At 100°C 0.40
At 300°C 0.43
Max 0.49 @ 600°C
Constant working temperature 350 - 650°C
Max temperature for short period only 700°C

This material has a slightly higher friction level especially at high temperature. It is better for high temperature applications than RS4-2 and has a very stable torque pattern. Suitable for rear axle use on Touring Car applications and very popular in Porsche racing.

RS 14 – BLACK Friction Level Cold 0.44
At 100°C 0.47
At 300°C 0.49
Max 0.54 @ 600°C
Constant working temperature 400 - 700°C
Max temperature for short period only 800°C

A high friction, high temperature material with enviable pad life at this level of friction. Very kind to discs, easily modulated, and resistant to wheel lock in extreme use. Suitable for Touring Car, WRC, GT and other forms of medium weight single seater race cars that have good levels of grip.

RS 15 – GRAY Friction Level Cold 0.50
At 100°C 0.54
At 300°C 0.57
Max 0.62 @ 600°C
Constant working temperature 400 - 800°C
Max temperature for short period only 900°C

Pagid's newest material, a development of RS-14 which combines a 20% higher friction level with an improved initial bite. RS-15 has very good life and exceptional release characteristics. It is also very easily bedded in comparison to its competitors. Suitable for Touring car, GT and other applications requiring very high levels of friction and high temperature stability.

RS 19 – YELLOW Friction Level Cold 0.40
At 100°C 0.43
At 300°C 0.47
Max 0.49 @ 550°C
Constant working temperature 400 - 700°C
Max temperature for short period only 750°C

This material provides very good performance at all temperatures with immediate brake response. Very stable pad on ceramic base, with excellent fade resistance and low disc wear. Suitable for endurance racing, or applications where exceptional life is required

Lifted from Rennstore.

I understand Pagid Yellows to be a good track day pad as it has less rotor wear than other aggressive pads.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 PM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
could somebody who remembers this remind real quick - there are yellow, orange, black pads and now we also have blue compaund as well.

how do they differ exactly? google is not very helpful with details on them for some reason.
For your car you would probably consider Blue & yellow - Blue as a sport street pad OK for occassional track use. Yellow RS-19 or RS-29 (latest version) is more of a dedicated track pad that is long wearing and reasonably gentle on your rotors. Black and orange are more aggressive/abrasive and likely not of interest to you unless you do sprint racing.

More info is available on Pagid's own website.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:15 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
For the track go with RS29 Yellows and you can do the RS14 black on the rears for some brake bias. This works good in 05-06 cars. the later year cars have more bias in the rear.

For AutoX you should use the 421 Sport pad or just stock pads.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 PM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is an unknown quantity at this point
how about an english traslation ?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 PM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PORSCHEAUDIO
how about an english traslation ?
You can use the more aggressive black pads in rear to get more rear braking bias. The car with same pads all around will do most braking with fronts. By way of example, I use 4 sets of front pads and rotors to 1 set of rears when running yellows front and back, which tells you front is doing the work.

This is a good thing in our cars until you have a fair amount of experience on the track as it reduces the tendency of the rear to slip out on you. Once you are comfortable and confident with track braking with yellows all around, you could experiment with the blacks in the rear - I would not suggest starting that way. Porsche designed the front bias for your safety to reduce tendency to spin. Best to use as designed until you are comfortable in your ability to slide and rotate the car in corners and recover from spins.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM
pcs
pcs has a spectacular aura aboutpcs has a spectacular aura about
Do you use pads and rotors at a one to one ratio? I have heard two sets of pads to one set of rotors is typical.
What pads are you running?
Do you know the service limit (thickness) of the "S" rotors"

TIA

Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by pcs
Do you use pads and rotors at a one to one ratio? I have heard two sets of pads to one set of rotors is typical.
What pads are you running?
Do you know the service limit (thickness) of the "S" rotors"

TIA
With aggressive track braking I do find close to a one to one ratio. I generally get 10-12 days out of front pads and rotors. With track use the 997 rotors overheat and cool and then crack - they crack to point of needing replacement well before reaching minimum thickness. I replace when cracks approach outer rim or edge of disc. Some say replace if cracks go hole-to-hole. I have gone through a lot of rotors and never had that happen. The cracks tend to start at the drilled holes and run radially in toward center and out toward the edge of the disc from the holes. Since the holes are staggered radially the cracks do not tend to go from hole to hole, in my experience.

For street use I do find 2 sets of pads to a set of rotors is about right or "typical" as you mention - but not with track usage. I do not know the minimum thickness off hand.

I am happy with the Pagid yellows RS-29 (or RS-19) they give me plenty of braking power, last longer than most other track pads and also help the rotors last longer. I have run 43 track days in the last 12 months with the Pagid yellows and usually don't bother to take them off for street driving until the end of the track season here in the NE.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have found RS29 Yellows to have more initial bite than the RS19 version. Performance Friction PF01 and especially PF97's even have more bite but the Pagid Yellows last a bit longer. Depends on the track you are running and what you want with your brakes.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM
pcs
Thanks a lot - great info. I've just started tracking - 5 days so far - and will be replacing the pads this weekend. I'm replacing stock with stock this time, but will be looking into Pagid's next time. I will be checking the rotors closely for any signs of cracking...

Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by pcs
Thanks a lot - great info. I've just started tracking - 5 days so far - and will be replacing the pads this weekend. I'm replacing stock with stock this time, but will be looking into Pagid's next time. I will be checking the rotors closely for any signs of cracking...
Enjoy the track, it can be great fun! With 5 days I am sure you are starting to pick up speed and brake harder. You are doing the right thing looking into upgrading your pads for the track. You wouldn't regret Pagid yellows (Like mdrums, I prefer RS-29 but take the RS-19s if RS-29s are not in stock - not a big difference).

Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Pker is on a distinguished road
Ive tried Pagid blue and they squeaked like a bus, although stopping power was excellent. I couldnt stand the squeaking as I do most of the driving on street whereas I went back to stock. Any recommendation on other color pads that does its job without squeaking so much??

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Blue is as good as it gets for low squeal with Pagids. For street, use the stock Porsche shims and you can spray back of pads with a light coat of Permatex Disc Brake Quiet (blue tacky coating that comes in a spray can available at AutoZone etc.). I find the Permatex spray works pretty well even with yellows and usually give them a quick spray before I put them in - only takes a few minutes. I put the pads backing up on a piece of newspaper and give them a light shot (don't need much) where the calipers will press on them. By time I jack up the car and remove a wheel they are ready to put in. Mintex makes a peel and stick type material you can cut to fit and stick on the pad backing - that works pretty well also but is harder to find and like I said Permatex Disc Brake Quiet is quick and easy.

Personally when track season is over, I use stock pads for the street, they are fine for the street.

Last edited by obsessed; 05-20-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 AM
pcs
In Southern California, track season is year round...

Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by pcs
In Southern California, track season is year round...
I know that.. great weather... blah, blah, blah

Stuck in the NE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: pagid brake pads