997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bilstein PSS9 or PSS10's for C2 non-PASM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Bilstein's coilover kits were never designed to compete with the full race stuff from Moton, JRZ, and so on. They are street coilovers designed to be just that.

Why do they offer them? Because that is all that some users need. Keep things simple. Not every user is going to take the time to analyze data after every session. They just want to firm up the ride, get a more agressive stance, and lower the CG.
I actually agree totally with what you just said.
My opinion is more simplistic actually - if car is not destined for a sport I just see no reason at all to invest a single dime into its suspension and keep rebuilding it.

Some folks find fun in the rebuilding process itself and I undestand that, damptronics do have their loyal customers, but as I see it is just a waste of money.
I honestly do not understand why anybody`s DD car needs to be stiffer or lower. What for? But, to each his own.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned
Matt(in MA) is on a distinguished road
Thank you all -this has been a very educational thread. I appreciate everyone’s opinions and suggestions.

Does Matt even know the difference between compression and rebound?

Well, yes I do. As a motorcycle track day instructor we spend a lot of time with students working on suspension setup.

Again – great feedback from a great forum. Thank you all.

All the best,

Matt

Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Matt(in MA)
Thank you all -this has been a very educational thread. I appreciate everyone’s opinions and suggestions.

Well, yes I do. As a motorcycle track day instructor we spend a lot of time with students working on suspension setup.

Again – great feedback from a great forum. Thank you all.

All the best,

Matt
Yea, Matt. I hope you did not take that the wrong way. I was just using you as an example.

We are Bilstein Master Distributor. We have sold many kits to the users of this forum.

Please email me if you would like to talk further.

Mike@AWE-Tuning.com

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I actually agree totally with what you just said.
My opinion is more simplistic actually - if car is not destined for a sport I just see no reason at all to invest a single dime into its suspension and keep rebuilding it.

Some folks find fun in the rebuilding process itself and I undestand that, damptronics do have their loyal customers, but as I see it is just a waste of money.
I honestly do not understand why anybody`s DD car needs to be stiffer or lower. What for? But, to each his own.
I see where you are coming from but my Damptronics, when I had them, were fantastic. I honestly think they made the dynamics of my car better. The stock PASM suspension was bouncy. The nose bob was annoying and Damptronics significantly reduced that while still providing a supple ride and improved track performance. I actually find TPC's version of Damptronics to be a tempting option but at $5900 they are pricey!

In all honesty, not many of us are extracting the full potential of Porsche's stock suspension. For example, I think my best time at Streets of Willow with Damptronics was just over a 1:30. I often see magazine tests where expert drivers are able to hustle stock porsches around the same course in the mid 1:20's. A stock 370Z can apparently do it in 1:28 in the right hands.

My point, spending 5k+ on an awesome suspension setup when I cant achieve max results from the stock suspension is a little ridiculous. Damptronics are a fantastic option for someone that drives their car on the street with some DE's in the mix. They actually have a lot of adjustability, in terms of ride height that many other options do not, provide a supple ride in normal, and a tight driving experience in sport. In reality, my damptronics were about 90% of what I was looking for.

Again, this is just my opinion but those of you looking for a great street CO that improves your driving experience and will net you some better times on the track, go with Damptronics. You wont regret it. Just understand they are a street biased solution and there are many good track biased options (JRZ, Moton) and if you think your going to get serious about tracking, go with those first and save the headache.

Now I dont know much about TPC's Damptronics solution which basically looks like a re-valved kit with ERS springs and a different map. But, it almost looks like a "have your cake and eat it too" solution.

Again, for those reading this, contact a reputable shop if your considering upgrading your suspension. TPC, Synergy, and GMG come to mind but there are many great shops across the nation.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 06-17-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Matt(in MA)
Hi All -

I am in the market for a set of Bilstein coilovers for my 997 C2 non-PASM. I am confused a bit between the PSS9's and PSS10's. I could not determine the difference except for maybe one more adjustment with the PSS10's?

Also where do you suggest I look to purchase these?

All the best and thank you,

Matt (in MA)
Matt,

Just noticed that you are in Mass.

If you are close to Boston, you NEED to go visit my very good friend Marc Feinstein from German Performance Service.

He is a total freak when it comes to the suspension set up on a Porsche.

His resume is extremely impressive. He served as the chief race engineer for Turner Motorsports and orchestrated the team to go on and win multiple championships in both Speed World Challenge and Grand Am.

He is now currently in the same role for Black Swan Racing. They run in the ALMS GTC class campaigning a 2010 Cup car. They just recorded their first win after running only one race prior!

Marc has just recently done some work for a mutual client that is a 6speeder. See his posts and comments here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...led-today.html

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JEllis
I actually find TPC's version of Damptronics to be a tempting option but at $5900 they are pricey!

In all honesty, not many of us are extracting the full potential of Porsche's stock suspension.
well, it is not my first sport car and hopefully is not going to be last...

what i was talking about re-valving pss9 with different springs is essentially what tpc sells and i can see it may be nice to have switchable pasm-like suspension if you have pasm ecu in a car. but when it gets to high grade competitive suspension it all gets more complicated than just take out stock struts and put in damptronics, naturally.

to remain stock or go into improved class is a big decision, no doubt. like i said - you cannot be a bit improved like you cannot be a bit pregnant. and yes, stock solution is quite good. in case of gt3 car may be i would not bother as much, c2 in stock is not a track car at all, bushings are way soft, too much dynamic toe changes, etc. it has to be rebuilt imho.

Last edited by utkinpol; 06-17-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:28 PM
Diego Mintz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, sorry to revive this very old thread, but I´ve just purchased a 2006 997.1 C2 manual, no PASM, with OEM 18" and I´m on the way to improve the looks and ride of the car.
I bought it to use it mainly as weekend car and go to track days once a month. I go to track days mostly to use the car in a more spirited way and although I do not intend to compete, safety is always a concern. I´ve been told by a local shop to install Eibach springs and Bilstein´s shocks in order to lower the car and have a better stance. Will that configuration ruin the car? Is it better to go directly to a coilover configuration? Also considering to install BBS CH-R 19".

Old 05-12-2021, 04:00 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Diego Mintz
Hi, sorry to revive this very old thread, but I´ve just purchased a 2006 997.1 C2 manual, no PASM, with OEM 18" and I´m on the way to improve the looks and ride of the car.
I bought it to use it mainly as weekend car and go to track days once a month. I go to track days mostly to use the car in a more spirited way and although I do not intend to compete, safety is always a concern. I´ve been told by a local shop to install Eibach springs and Bilstein´s shocks in order to lower the car and have a better stance. Will that configuration ruin the car? Is it better to go directly to a coilover configuration? Also considering to install BBS CH-R 19".
No it won't ruin car. However, you will not be able to adjust the ride height with a spring swap out. Coilovers are generally more expensive.

I would continue to do research, reading through threads here and other forums and then make a decision.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:35 AM
Diego Mintz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by JEllis
No it won't ruin car. However, you will not be able to adjust the ride height with a spring swap out. Coilovers are generally more expensive.

I would continue to do research, reading through threads here and other forums and then make a decision.
Thanks for your prompt reply. I've been reading in many blogs where most people says that coilovers make the car too harsh for street usability. I've had a back surgery and don't want to have a bone jarring car. That's why I've been told to go by this set up.
I need a set up that lowers the car 1" or 1.2" and still make it comfortable in the road and compliant in the track. Very difficult!