997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Who bought their 997 w/ the "you only live once" attitude?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Sub4 is on a distinguished road
Delayed gratification. Learn it, love it, teach it.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 PM
AC911 is on a distinguished road
It looks like you know the right answer. Asking the forum "who bought their 997 with you only live one attitude" sounds very desperate...

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I thing the age limit

Originally Posted by Auto_Union
I think there ought to be a law that in order to get into the P-dealer you need to show your ID at the door to make sure you are over 30. The same goes for 'Vettes, 'Stangs, Merc-AMG's, BMW-M's, etc. In most cases (notice I said most, not "all") putting high powered cars in the hands of teens or 20-somethings is dangerous. It takes a good decade or so after you get your license to really call yourself experienced. I once worked for a limousine co. and the owner wouldn't hire anyone under 28.
Is a bit high. I bought my first truly fast car at 28.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM
stockid will become famous soon enoughstockid will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bosco42
Seriously.....are we on Candid Camera ??

Let me see by a show of hands if:

1. You would rather be in bed in ur own apt spoonin' with a hot chick or

2. Driving around yourself in a hot car and go home to sleep with ur parents.

C'mon now .....I love Porsches as much as the next guy BUT......
+1 Where is the camera?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I've found hot cars have not done

Originally Posted by stockid
+1 Where is the camera?
me much good when it comes to picking up girls. You can't exactly drive it into the bar. How every I've never picked up a girl that refused me because I was driving a honda in my younger days and having my own place was a huge turn on to women when I was in my early 20's.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
scott10s is on a distinguished road
I don't think you should buy a P-car until you can pay cash and not have a car payment. You should have all your other obligations met first.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 PM
seems silly to me to pay cash

for a car when Porsche will lend you money at 1.9 percent and i can use my own money to gain far more than 1.9 percent. Just my 2 cents

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Liquidemotions will become famous soon enoughLiquidemotions will become famous soon enough
go with the house first. For me I just could not resist the 997 turbo with all wheel drive and 480hp stock but I was pretty financially stable to put 50% down so go with a roof over your head then a roof over your head on the road =)

Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
marcnv will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
I think there ought to be a law that in order to get into the P-dealer you need to show your ID at the door to make sure you are over 30. The same goes for 'Vettes, 'Stangs, Merc-AMG's, BMW-M's, etc. In most cases (notice I said most, not "all") putting high powered cars in the hands of teens or 20-somethings is dangerous. It takes a good decade or so after you get your license to really call yourself experienced. I once worked for a limousine co. and the owner wouldn't hire anyone under 28.
Would you have thought this "law" to be a good idea when you were <30 years old, looking to purchase a 'quick' car?

Ignorant statement if you ask me.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
Just my 2 cents, I would ratherdrive a Plymouth Volare and have my own place................P-car, VW, Lambo, nothing matters when you live at home. I would get out "on my own" and buy a place before worrying about my "ride."

Not sure how old you are, I had my own place at 19 and never looked back..............................

Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
This db is pulling your, uh, legs. Don't waste your time.
It has been good for some entertainment though. Thanks jherbias.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tourbillon001
attitude. For me personally I never felt right about buying an expensive car before buying a house. I have lived on my own since I was 17 and I grew as a young adult in the bush era where buying a home was just what you did first.

It sounds like the OP is very lucky if his parents are going to give him a house. I don't have a clue what his financial status is, but if you feel comfortable buying a Porsche then go for.

As for the Lambo comment I'm not sure what that means. I know lots of Lambo guys that are also Porsche guys
You are probably the only one who actually read the situation correctly.

I don't want to move out (in SD at least) because I want to move to Orange County but it has been difficult to find a job there. I admit the readily-available DP money could be used for condo but I already have more than enough to secure a loan. The question is to use some of that DP to get into a car w/ a cheaper monthly payment (a pretty well-used 997).

I dont' know where people think I'm using all my money to get into a Pcar... or that I"m getting one to pick up girls. Do people still actually do that?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
[quote=yrralis1;2933445]
[and live at home as long as u can or seriously, until u can afford to buy a house/QUOTE]

I am seeing this trend more and more and I find it pathetic . There are guys in my town who live with their parents and they are 30 years old . Some of them even make decent money--certainly enough to move out --- but they blow it on stupidity (like going to clubs , cars, jewerly, clothes ,BLING) and they have nothing saved.

In fact they go home after a night of hard partying (wasting time) and their grandmother is cooking them, steak telling them how great they are, In fact when they finally do get married some of them don't even move out then and they can't figure out why their wife wants to leave them.. The few who do move out are so accustomed to BLING (and having their ego stroked by his parents and grandparents) that they end up in foreclosure , debt, bankrupcy, divorce and then right back home with grandma at 40 or even 50 saying "oh poor baby --don't worry "

I grew up in an entirely different planet I suppose . I wouldn't even own a 335i above my own apartment (that I paid for) . Independence is the most important aspect in becoming an adult . I would feel ill if I was 30 years old living like a spoiled child as an adult.

I think some of the parents like keeping their adult children dependent on them too . I don't unnderstand that either . If I had a 25 year old living in my house like some sort of adult in extended adolescence I would evict him because its time for him to grow up and be a man.

Yeah --I did buy my first Porsche with a "you only live once" attitude but I was 34 and had my own house.
haha larry. u r absolutely right about the independence thing.

however, i wasn't advising the OP to live off his parents.. i was suggesting that he should save his money now to buy a house for himself asap.. and stop wasting money on a fancy car/apt rent at this time in his life.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Just ask some money from your parents and buy a house next to Kobe in Newport and a GT2 to decorate the garage with. Why would you need other people's opinion to make a decision, specially from strangers?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
jason is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jherbias
I am wondering if anybody else has had this predicament.

I currently drive a BMW 335i coupe and am getting tired of my high monthly car payment (I put almost nothing down)... hence I want to switch to a different car. I am nowhere near strapped for cash but with my current monthly payment I figured I cannot sustain something that high and move out (I live at home and yes I know I'm spoiled).

Seriously? This is why I stay off the BMW forums...

step 1, move out of your parents house...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who bought their 997 w/ the "you only live once" attitude?