997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

advise needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
snathan is infamous around these parts
advise needed

took my 2001 c4 out of storage last week. the check engine light came on. took it to the dealership. the dealer says i need a new transmission (est @ $13,500) repairs to fix a front differential leak (est $4750). other than regular service, i have had zero maintenance issues and don't know what to make to these estimates. any opinions on these costs/estimates? my original OEM nav system works sometime and doesn't at others. any recommendations on any after market navs that would fit in the dash?

Old 08-25-2010, 02:01 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
How long has it been in storage? Was it prepared (proper fluids) for storage?
Was it running fine pre-storing it?

Does the tranny issue have anything to do with the CEL? or is it a different issue?

In any case, you may want to hear a second opinion from an experienced indy.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
snathan is infamous around these parts
thanks, i will try an independent as well. the tranny issue is apparently fault code T0740 which i am told is a torque convertor malfunction which could cause the engine to stall. (BTW in my hurry to get this out here, and get some advise, i have seemingly posted this in the 997 forum, whereas a 2001 c4 should be a 996, right? apologies for the error folks.)

Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Time to make an insurance claim....officer, my car is gone!!! LOL

Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 PM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by snathan
my original OEM nav system works sometime and doesn't at others. any recommendations on any after market navs that would fit in the dash?

snathan,

I'm not sure what to recommend on the transmission rebuild and other maintenance. It just doesn't sound like a CEL results in this and vice versa.

#1. I would definitely get a second opinion. Also, don't disregard those race shops in your area that do reputable and reliable Porsche work. There are a couple in my area and many in FL and CA. They could provide a valuable second opinion of what is truly wrong and probably a more reasonable labor rate that could result in savings in a couple of ways.

#2. I have heard of Porsche having some sort of engine buy-back deal where you can trade your old engine in on a rebuilt one. I know this is very vague but there are guys on this forum that can probably provide details.

#3. If there was a maintenance issue that you weren't aware of that caused this, it may be an opportunity to make major engine upgrades in lieu of simply repairing your 996 powerplant. Something to think about, especially if the car is in good condition and you think you would like to have it for a long time.

#4. I don't know about the 996, but a lot of board members have installed the Pioneer Avic indash stereo/NAV. I know this unit is awesome! Search the threads.

Good luck and I truly hope this situation turns out alright.