997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

"Service Now" text with the wrench icon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
"Service Now" text with the wrench icon

When I start my car up, I get the "Service Now" text with the wrench icon... but then as soon as I buckle my seatbelt, it goes off...

Is this message a normal part of the start up on a 997.2?

I'm thinking that if I really did have a service now issue that it'd stay on and I'd get the red exclamation point, right?

Second Question... what about the oil change... will I get a message saying that its time to change the oil automatically?

Are oil changes free under warranty like BMW?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Means its time for a scheduled maintenance visit. Oil changes aren't free and cost about $ 200 at the dealer, give or take a few bucks.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Yup, time for a scheduled maintenance visit. Depending on the service, could be anywhere from $200 to $800.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
When was your last scheduled maintenance. Sometimes the dealer may have missed to reset the diagnostics after an oil change.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
I bought car on Monday... it had 8700 miles on it... looking in the owner's manual, there's a sticker from Hennesey Porsche in Atlanta where the car was purchased by the first owner.

The car was sold September 2009. So I guess its just time for its service, I've got a tad over 9000 miles on it now.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
I bought car on Monday... it had 8700 miles on it... looking in the owner's manual, there's a sticker from Hennesey Porsche in Atlanta where the car was purchased by the first owner.

The car was sold September 2009. So I guess its just time for its service, I've got a tad over 9000 miles on it now.
Can't help but notice that you're in Gerogia.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
usually is countdown in the computer for 1 year or 10k miles whichever comes first.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Originally Posted by TooSixy
Can't help but notice that you're in Gerogia.
I think that's right beside Abalama.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati

Yep, its been 1 year since it went into service, time for the 1yr/10k oil change.

I'd go back to the dealer (if thats where you bought it) and see if they will do a free oil change...seeing as you only had the car 5 days.

Otherwise, take it in for its service or do it yourself. Problem is, you cannot properly reset the service interval yourself or with the durametric tool, though you can turn it off for 2 years/20k with durametric. (for a MY09 car)

Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I bought the car from Motor Cars of Georgia (can't find how to edit my location)...

Anyway... Hennessey Porsche in Atlanta was the original dealer... they quoted me $198 for the oil change, and recommended the full 15K (I think 15K) service where they change the wiper blades, flush the coolant, look the car over from stem to stern with the oil change all for a total of something like $575 (Its under $600 whatever it was)... I'm also going to have them install my FabSpeed 2ndary muffler bypass pipes when I get them.

Motocars of GA doesn't really have a garage perse to do the oil change... not that I know of anyways.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Weasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really nice
[quote=Mark Ducati;2958322]

Anyway... Hennessey Porsche in Atlanta was the original dealer... they quoted me $198 for the oil change, and recommended the full 15K (I think 15K) service where they change the wiper blades, flush the coolant, look the car over from stem to stern with the oil change all for a total of something like $575 (Its under $600 whatever it was)quote]

My car was purchased from Hennessey too. Had them perform the 15K service w/o the oil change (I do all oil changes myself and more frrequently than recommended) and wiper replacement (I almost never drive this car in the rain so I couldn't see why I needed to replace them). They did everything else. Saved me some scratch but I can't recall exactly how much -- wasn't really the purpose of doing my own oil changes, you know -- I just like doing the few little things that I can do on this car...paying them (~$50) to replace wipers that I don't ever use just seemed like a waste to me.

Starting to wonder what all is included in the 30K service now since I'm approaching it.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
If you are never going to drive the car in the rain, you could probably just remove the wipers entirely, I guess and save a bit of weight.

That said, not using the wipers at all, and then at some point 2 years in having to turn them on you may discover the rubber has gotten so biased from 2 years of parking, and brittle from 2 years of atmosphere/sun/ozone exposure that the things don't work very well. Like rubber tires, wiper blades age with time, used or not.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
One more question, when the service now light comes on... is that what comes on when its time for an oil change? Or is there a specific "oil change now" message?

Reason I ask, is I was going to have an oil change and service at Hennessey Porsche Friday for about $600 bucks... but now that I've got to have my back bumper fixed/painted, I might as well have them paint the hood I wanted to touch up now too... the hood would be out of pocket, so I was thinking of forgoing the extra service and just doing the oil change if that was the reason for the "service now" light/icon.