997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Boxster S with PDK or older Carrera S for DD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Johnson184 is on a distinguished road
Boxster S with PDK or older Carrera S for DD?

Here's some quick info/background. The only "sports car" I've ever driven/owned is my 07 Mustang GT. It's a fun car and all, but I've always wanted a Porsche. I'd have to sell the Mustang, but I'd have about $40,000-$45,000 to spend. (I can't go over $45,000 as I know there will be maintenence costs, and I'd like to get my butt into a driving school or two if I can spend around $40,000 on the car)

Should I go out and try to find a used Porsche Boxster S with PDK before the year's up, or should I wait a year or so for the new 998 to launch, hopefully dropping the price on the 05-06 997 Carrera S?

Here are some more questions/considerations.

1. This car will have to be my DD throughout the year. I live in Oklahoma, so winters aren't terrible here... not sure how much I'd be able to drop the top on the Boxster. (Never owned a convertible before)

2. If I go with the 911, should I get the manual over the tiptronic? I honestly don't really know how to drive a stickshift... Hard to learn? I imagine I should practice on a crappy beater car first.

3. Any reason to avoid the 05 997? I honestly don't remember if there were ever any new model problems, etc.

4. This may sound crazy, but just how big a difference is it between a Carrera S and a Boxster S? I plan on going for a test drive before I buy obviously, but I'm not a "skilled racing driver" by any means.

5. Any maintenence issues I should be aware of for either of these cars? How much am I looking at for annual upkeep/maintenence for these 2?

6. Seems like 05 997 Carrera S with 30,000-40,000 miles are going for around $47,000 or so. How much do you think they'll drop in the next 18 months from depreciation/998 release?

Sorry if there's a ton of questions here, I'm just hoping to not run into any unwanted surprises. I'm not in a big hurry to get the Porsche, as I can definitely wait 18 months for the prices to fall a bit more. Besides... that way I can pounce whenever I see a nice white one on the market...

Old 08-30-2010, 02:35 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The Boxster is a very different car to the 997 in so many ways (even if one compared cabs) . The car better suited to compare is the Cayman but the 09 PDK Cayman will cost more than 45K because production numbers are low . look at any new car inventory and one will see less Cayman cars than 997 cars.

Beyond that the drive is very different . The Boxster is more like a roadster and the 997 is a coupe and the placement of the engine (rear versus mid) changes the entire driving dynamics .

The 997 is the culmination decades of 911 Porsche production . All the cars are fun to drive but the 997 is more than just a fun car . Aside from being faster, more comfortable -- it's an owners way of capturing a piece of automotive history.

I'll answer all your questions (separate post) --but if 45K was my limit --I'd spend 35K and buy a 1995-1997 low mile 993 for 35K and keep the extra 10K in savings !!!! See this thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...an-motors.html

If not --then a used Cayman S in a manual with a CPO .
I'd skip the Boxster and the high mile out of warranty 997.

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-30-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:51 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
1. This car will have to be my DD throughout the year. I live in Oklahoma, so winters aren't terrible here... not sure how much I'd be able to drop the top on the Boxster. (Never owned a convertible before)

Some guys love convertibles . I don't . The idea of having road filth blowing all over my cars interior and myself is not appealing . But even worse is that the convertible top decreases performance . Plus bad acoustics and leak potential .. for what --to feel wind ? One can ride a bicycle if wind , sun, and dirt are that important .

2. If I go with the 911, should I get the manual over the tiptronic? I honestly don't really know how to drive a stickshift... Hard to learn? I imagine I should practice on a crappy beater car first.

It took me more time to heal from an extracted tooth than it did to learn a stick shift when I was 18. Once learned it is a good skill to have and i am glad i took the time.

3. Any reason to avoid the 05 997? I honestly don't remember if there were ever any new model problems, etc.

Some feel the 05 cars are more prone to RMS and IMS problems . There are many however who never face these issues . If you are on the top end of a tight budget --is it worth the risk ? That's the question.

4. This may sound crazy, but just how big a difference is it between a Carrera S and a Boxster S? I plan on going for a test drive before I buy obviously, but I'm not a "skilled racing driver" by any means.

Huge !!! It's not just about racing or driving . Even if one is 6 ft tall he may not even have seat room in a Boxster but beyond the space and the open top --the car has a mid engine and will drive totally different .

5. Any maintenence issues I should be aware of for either of these cars? How much am I looking at for annual upkeep/maintenence for these 2?
Depends on the car and miles , A good estimate (rounding up --factoring in tires and routine service) is roughly 1500 a year .

6. Seems like 05 997 Carrera S with 30,000-40,000 miles are going for around $47,000 or so. How much do you think they'll drop in the next 18 months from depreciation/998 release?

42 -45K . It won't be due to the 998 . In fact if the 998 is not impressive the 997 car may even increase in price .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-30-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 AM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
You're ahead of the game just by getting advice from forum members. Do some searches here for similar inquiries and you'll get a great real primer on the cars and pricing. One immediate recommendation - learn stick first then go to some dealerships to get a feel for what you like better. It’s a personal taste thing that you can’t get from the impression of others. Objectively speaking, from a price perspective you're dealing w/an older model 911 or newer Cayman/Boxter. If you don't expect to be stuck in traffic a lot (anything over an hour) the stick will be more fun. If you need an automatic type of vehicle take the PDK over a tipronic. Convertible roof is just one thing to fix so I'd pass on the Boxter. An older 911 w/o the warranty could turn into a money pit. Depressed prices of older 911's reflect, among other things, that possibility. Overall, given your price point I think a PDK Cayman w/CPO would be your best bet. Might have to pay up from $45K to get it but probably worth the extra money. Good luck w/your search.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Gator Skin is on a distinguished road
I had the same dilemma. I wanted a convertible and was deciding b/w a 1 yr old Boxter S DFI and a 3 yr old 997S cab. I went with the 997S and do not regret it at all. With the boxster, you will always wonder if you should have gotten the 997. If you get the 997 you wont think about the Boxster longingly.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
The '05s are hitting more shallow depreciation curves -- so maybe they'll drop $5K per year for the next 18-24 months -- hard to say for sure. '08s - '10s will drop $10K +/- per year of the next 18-24 months I believe.

Either way, a $45K budget is tight for a 997 today -- but 18 months from now it should not likely be a problem. However, you're still looking at a ~5-7 year old 997 when you buy.

Looking into a 993 as suggested is a great idea.

Since you can wait another 18 months -- why not do that -- while saving extra each month and having more options when the time is right to buy. By then you should be able to afford the 997 that you want, not the one that you have to buy.