997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Looking for a "starter" 911 - asking for trouble?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Skullbussa is on a distinguished road
Question Looking for a "starter" 911 - asking for trouble?

I've set myself up with a budget of around $45k to purchase a sports car. After being frankly disappointed by the e9x M3 and being borderline uncomfortable in the confines of the Cayman S, I"m left aiming upwards at a car that is most likely not quite in my budget: 911.

I've spent some time online and it seems that only a 2005 base Carerra (with reasonable miles) barely squeaks into my price bracket.

My question is this: Am I asking for trouble shopping for *NON-CPO* 2005 Carerras w/ around 30k miles? This car will be my all seasons daily driver. If this isn't a good idea, what is the minimum "acceptable" 997 911 to fit my reliable daily driver needs?

Thank you for any response!

Old 09-04-2010, 02:15 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
I think my dealer (Hennessy) had a 2006 with a bit more miles, but still had 2yrs/100K coverage in what you may be looking for.....and keeping in mind there may always be some wiggle-room. My sales guy is Bruce Pinder........If you are interestd (and we are not all that far from KS) give him a call. I have purchased 3 vehicles from these folks and have nothing but the highest praise for them.

Good luck looking. (Although kinda suprised to hear about the e90 M3, as I thought those were very nice cars)

BobR

Old 09-04-2010, 02:25 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
With some shopping you should be able to get into a 06+ 997/S.

My 06 is currently out of warranty. I have had it for two years with zero issues and I drive it as regularly as I feel like.

I to went from an E92 M3 (DCT) to a used 997S... no regrets

Jason

Old 09-04-2010, 02:57 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
I bought a base 2006 with no regrets. For the street, it's more than enough car and the purest 911 IMO.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:03 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
If you are with a $45K budget and hope for a 911, why not look into the 993's?

For your budget there will be a comfortable selection of cars to choose, and the 993 is a 911 alright.

Regards,

Old 09-04-2010, 03:28 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I constantly toy with the idea of trading my two porsches in for a better model. And then I take my stock base to the track or on a spirited drive and the car never ceases to amaze me.

I run out of talent long before I run out of car.

I don't think you can get on 06+ S at your price target. An 05 S has been sitting on my local dealers lot for awhile and has just been lowered to 50K with CPO. Might be worth a look. (schneider nelson)

Old 09-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by sizquik
I bought a base 2006 with no regrets. For the street, it's more than enough car and the purest 911 IMO.
I am perfectly happy with the "base" Carerra. I do not want to try to stretch my dollar to get an S model and only have to accept higher mileage as a compromise. For right now, the Carerra is plenty good.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
If you are with a $45K budget and hope for a 911, why not look into the 993's?,
I would be quite happy looking at 993s. Unfortunately, I am not able to pay cash for the car and no bank I know of will lend money for a car older than 8-10 years.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
While acknowledging that repairs to a Porsche can be relatively expensive, let me add two things to the discussion. First, my experience is that most Porsche owners seem to take better care of their vehicle then the average car owner. So a one owner 2005 that has been well maintained and which has the service records (like mine did) may prove to need less repairs than you might expect. Much like buying a house, I paid for a PPI and the seller agreed to pay for the repairs disclosed by the PPI. Second, in many cities there are independent repair shops that can reduce the cost of a repair compared to taking it to a dealership. Good hunting!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 AM
PRS 7 is on a distinguished road
Right location and I am sure there are members whom would go and look the car over for you. If a sound car/PPI I would get my checkbook ready.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Old 09-05-2010, 07:28 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Skullbussa
I would be quite happy looking at 993s. Unfortunately, I am not able to pay cash for the car and no bank I know of will lend money for a car older than 8-10 years.
Look into balloon financing -- you get lease-like payments without the constraints of a lease. Many credit unions offer these and everything can be done online. You also benefit from being able to "afford" a newer car.

GL.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 AM
mander is on a distinguished road
This is a bit of thread drift but Top Gear was an absolute hoot this morning. The guys each had to buy a Porsche for 1500 quid (think $2000) and then go through various tests with the car. One bought a 924, the other a 944 and the other a 928. I won't spoil the ending but I will tell you that my wife even watched it and laughed her head off and she doesn't usually like car shows.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM
RF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really niceRF5BPilot is just really nice
Originally Posted by Taxi!
...First, my experience is that most Porsche owners seem to take better care of their vehicle then the average car owner.
...especially if this is not that person's first Porsche. Consider checking with your area's Porsche Club for a good car from a known owner.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by axhoaxho
If you are with a $45K budget and hope for a 911, why not look into the 993's?

For your budget there will be a comfortable selection of cars to choose, and the 993 is a 911 alright.

Regards,
+1 !!!
It's 35K to buy and 10K left over in case of repairs. The cars at $35K have 30K miles or so.

a 45K 997S with 40K plus miles , out of warranty, at the highest end of his buying price leaves him nothing to pay for service and might not even buy him a car without some sort of story .

Price -
45K --he wants newer = Cayman.
45K --he wants a 911 = low mile 993.
Just my opinion.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:41 PM
number9ine is a jewel in the roughnumber9ine is a jewel in the roughnumber9ine is a jewel in the roughnumber9ine is a jewel in the rough
I think there are still deals to be had out there in 997 land. Your budget puts you pretty firmly in 2005-2006 year range, and third party dealer or private party sale. You will have a hard time finding a $45k 997S on a dealer lot. Be careful of cars with stories, although you might find a deal if you're willing to look at cars with (documented, quality) body repairs. If you negotiate aggressively and look at deals in other states, you might find yourself with enough money left over for an aftermarket warranty, which is highly recommended on a car with a $15-20k engine replacement cost.

Get a good CPO from a mechanic recommended by the local PCA region, and do your homework on the various things that go wrong with these cars. It's a short but expensive list.

I'd also suggest checking out the 996, there are excellent deals to be had and although many prefer the look of the 997, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 996's performance. They are great cars, and can be had for a song.

Best of luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for a "starter" 911 - asking for trouble?