997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Daily Driver... PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Re 6spd or PDK: Test drive them both, then make a decision. Nobody can answer the question except for you. The virtues of both are pretty clear in this thread.

A proper hill-start using a stickshift (even with hill assist) is an art form.... but parallel parking in general (regardless of 6spd or PDK) causes way more rash. Half the scuffs to your car will be caused by other drivers.

PDK & paddles are increasing in popularity, no doubt... I read Porsche thinks ~ 25% of the cars sold in 5 years will be ordered with manuals. I certainly hope the Porsche 6speed isn't discontinued anytime soon. Other car companies are putting so many electronics into the cars.....they might as well put two passenger seats in the front. This trend sucks.

The full leather dash is definitely more appealing new... but the leather seemed a little soft...and I had problems locating a used 911 with everything I wanted. Full leather was lower priority.

Good luck with your decision. When you finally pull the trigger, let us know how you rationalized...and post some pics!

Originally Posted by Johnson184
Within the next year, I plan on picking up an 09 Carrera S. I'm now trying to figure out if I should get a stickshift or a paddleshifter. I've previously only driven automatics, but I've recently started learning how to stick shift. I understand for racing enthusiasts, the dual clutch should be faster around a track. I keep hearing about how awful stickshifts are compared to automatics for driving around the city. Is it really that bad? The only thing that worries me is having to shift the car into 1st at an uphill stoplight... with an oblivious car right next to your rear bumper.
Any of you guys want to give your 2 cents on which I should go with?

Oh... and I've started to fall in love with the Sand Beige interior. Is the dash all leather or does it have some plastic unless you get the leather interior upgrade?

P.S. Is it really true some carmakers are abandoning stickshifts completely? A buddy told me Ferrari and Lamborghini are all paddle shifters from here on out... was he joking? I'm not sure I believe him... since he's trying to get me to consider a GTR lol.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 AM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by syosh
I learned how to drive a stick specifically for my daily driven 997. Now, I couldn't imagine having a 997 without one.
+1!!! I learned to drive stick when I was a kid...because I planned on getting a 911 when I was older!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mshanler
+1!!! I learned to drive stick when I was a kid...because I planned on getting a 911 when I was older!!!
+1 more for a 6MT 911. I can't imagine a PDK unless I was getting a dedicated track toy, or a mall shopper for the wife.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
PDK (and dual clutch cars in general) are a lot easier to drive in traffic. If this is where you spend your time, then either relax - or work. It's your preference.

Some say that driving a 6sp manual is a sports car experience - if you're racing from 0-20mph for 30 minutes, I wouldn't want a sports car.

The PDK offers the best of both worlds - relax when you want - F-1 shift for the rest of the time.

I imagine is my $73k Nissan comes standard with hill-start assist, that a Porsche would come standard with it as well.

(Don't most cars come with this now? - I'm not trying start anything, I'm really not sure)

Old 10-13-2010, 10:08 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
...Nissan comes standard with hill-start assist, that a Porsche would come standard with it as well...

Yes, as mentioned, Porsche calls it Drive-Off Assist - even the PDK has it.

Whether it is standard on other cars or not...seems like a job for Google...for those who care about those other cars...

FWIW, I come from 25+ yrs of MT cars (none with "hill start" or similar training wheels ) - only had ATs for rentals. PDK is no AT and about as much fun as MT - sometimes seems even more fun - it is a trip of technology and excellent at what it does. I didn't get it because I thought it would be easier in traffic or to shave off my lap times with quicker shifts or any of that - I just think it is cool and fun and interesting.

It is a huge misunderstanding to think of a PDK car as like an AT car though - it is much more than that. And to get the most enjoyment out of it, there's also a learning curve; and a test drive won't begin to show it off.

I'd love to have both MT and PDK cars...either will be a 911 and a fabulous car to drive.

Last edited by stevepow; 10-13-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
It easier to text while driving a car with PDK.

All joking aside, my weekend driver has a 6 speed and I do enjoy the change of pace that comes with occasionally shifting gears. That being said, South Florida is designed with flat, straight roads which, much like driving in stop and go traffic, do not provide an abundance of opportunities for the "sports car experience." I'm sure my car would be more fun if the roads have some curves.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
For your first Porsche, get the stick while you still can.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:47 AM
On Sunday, I drove RT between the Atlantic to the Gulf coasts of Florida in a rental car (Palm Beach-Venice-Palm Beach~ 350mi total.) Before I embarked on the journey, I fantasized about a rental 911: axle hop starts, 0-186mph, stretching out the RPMs through every gear...

Then I woke up... I've never driven in a straight line across an entire state to only hit one "hill". The peek of my driving excitement consisted of anticipating the extra-big splatter of the large & juicy bugs on the windscreen.

I don't know if a 6MT would do it for me on public roads in that part of Florida. Between the lack of hills and the traffic....I'd probably own a PDK down there...(...and I'd become a track rat with so many raceway options).

Originally Posted by Taxi!
It easier to text while driving a car with PDK.

All joking aside, my weekend driver has a 6 speed and I do enjoy the change of pace that comes with occasionally shifting gears. That being said, South Florida is designed with flat, straight roads which, much like driving in stop and go traffic, do not provide an abundance of opportunities for the "sports car experience." I'm sure my car would be more fun if the roads have some curves.

Last edited by mshanler; 10-13-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: more pdk
Old 10-13-2010, 01:00 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow

Yes, as mentioned, Porsche calls it Drive-Off Assist - even the PDK has it.

Whether it is standard on other cars or not...seems like a job for Google...for those who care about those other cars...
Excellent post... I wasn't trying to start anything. I thought the PDK I drove had it (didn't know specs, just the way it stayed in place for about 2 secs while driving uphill), but I was unsure of the 6sp manuals.

The 996 6sp I had did not have it. Thanks for answering my question.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
for the guys that have driven a 09 S 6spd & PDK. Is there a huge difference btw the 2 speed wise??

I have a 05 C2S 6spd and I test drove a 09 C2S PDK and was blown away how much faster it was than my car not even close. Is there such a difference between my 05C2S 6spd vs a 09 C2S 6spd??

Old 10-13-2010, 05:46 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
PDK is my vote and if you are interested in a loaded C2S cab, I am going to sell mine in the spring!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:13 PM
ScottAtlGa will become famous soon enough
Just picked up a new PDK C2 cab after having had a 6 speed MT for a year. I had just gotten to the point where I actually enjoyed the manual shifting, but living in ATL with a LONG slow commute, I went with PDK to ease the stress on my ride to and from work on the days I drive this car. I mean, driving in 40 feet increments at crawling speeds in stop and go traffic was more than I wanted. I will say that the manual was a blast to drive and since it was a weekend/fun car, it was super. I saw as another poster said, if you have a heavy slow highway commute like I do and you plan to drive it during heavy traffic, get PDK. If purely a weekend or pleasure vehicle, the 6 speed can;t be beat and it is alot cheaper!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Location: Waltham, MA/Southport,CT/Vero Beach, FL/Grosse Pointe, MI
steve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to allsteve0827 is a name known to all
I'd say PDK, only because just think about when you're in dead traffic. It's really annoying to drive stick in stop and go traffic :P And PDK doesn't feel like most dual clutch trannies, in auto-mode it feels like a regular automatic!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
For a daily driver, PDK all the way. Now do i think the 'real sports car experience' can only be experienced with a manual...ABSOLUTELY!!..that's why most Porsche owners I know that use their car as a daily driver have a second weekend car that is a manual.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
PHDX2 will become famous soon enoughPHDX2 will become famous soon enough
6 speed, daily driver. Love it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver... PDK or Manual?