997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

IMS or RMS issue for 2005 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:55 PM
turbosimon is on a distinguished road
IMS or RMS issue for 2005 997

Porsche has been my dream car for many years and I am finally getting one. It's a 2005 997 C2 with 35k miles. It's a CPO and the extended warranty will expire in 1 month. What can i do to protect myself from the IMS or RMS issue. i know the chances are very low but I'd love to protect my first Porsche as much as possible. Can i have a dealer replace the IMS and RMS with new parts using the warranty? Should I purchase a 3rd party warranty (Fidelity,,$4000 for 2 years)? Any other suggestions? What is the best way to utilize the CPO extended warranty before it expires?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Based on what I've read, to protect yourself from the RMS issue you might just need to drive the car! Join your local PCA and get into Autocrossing or DE. I've not had any issues, knock on wood

Old 04-03-2011, 04:05 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
No you cannot have the parts changed out under warranty.

The RMS is a non issue and I would not even worry about it. In the event you do get some sweating or leaking, just watch your oil levels until you feel like having it replaced.

IMS failure is a relatively rare thing. Meaning, the majority of 05 and older Porsche's never experience it.

For info on solutions go to LNEngineering.com

Jason

Old 04-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Sharkys will become famous soon enough
FWIW, I have an 2005 997.1 with 44K miles. It is running fine and when I drive it, I let it warm up briskly, between 3000 - 3500 RPMs and I don't ever lug the engine. So far, no fluid leaks what so ever. I did not purchase and extended warranty and I When the engine is warm, it sees RPMs in the upper end every so often. I checked out Fidelity/Total Care/Easy Care and got quotes for all three. After reading the fine print, I ended up throwing the paper work in the circular file. Warranty is like Vegas -they aren't in business because everybody is a winner. That said, if having a warranty makes you sleep better at night - then purchase it. And cross your fingers the warranty company will cover a major expense. You'll NEVER know until YOU use it. I thought about going with the LN Engineering retro fit - but as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out. I am going to do an engine oil analysis on my next oil change however for a baseline.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:05 AM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I would not suggest an aftermarket warranty for 997's - I have an '05 S with 40k miles and have owned it now for two years. Even if I had CPO or any aftermarket warranty, to this date I would have never filed a claim. The 911 has been around 45+ years and is very reliable.

The RMS is nothing to worry about; if it starts leaking, you can live with it until time to replace the clutch (to save on labor) - there's no catostrophic engine failure associated with the RMS leak.

IMS failure is a different story, but again the chances are low. With the mileage on the car you mention, it sounds like it is driven pretty regularly which is good to keep the bearings lubricated. I'd suggest staying on top of oil changes (at least every 12 months or 10k miles), exercising the full RPM range to increase the oil pressure and provide more splash lubrication of the bearings, not letting the car sit for more than a week or two at a time.