997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best tool to reset maintenance and error codes on 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:02 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Best tool to reset maintenance and error codes on 997?

Folks,

I am sure that this has been discussed in the past, but what re the various tools offered to reset maintenance codes and error codes on a 997.1?

I have been looking into the Durametric software but read some threads that left me with mixed feelings about it, especially if you only buy the Enthusiast" version.

I would like to hear from your experiences.

Thanks
Yves

Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Simple OBD codes can be reset with an obd reader. If you have an android phone, you can use the torque app for everything along with a cheap bluetooth obd reader. For more Porsche specific stuff, that won't cut it.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 AM
911 Molar is on a distinguished road
www.durametric.com

Simply, cost effective, fun, data logging, ease of use

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 911 Molar
www.durametric.com

Simply, cost effective, fun, data logging, ease of use

....ditto. Works well.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:09 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Ok. I have ordered the Durametric Enthusiast version and I intend to use it with the Version 6 of their software. I'll post later about it.

Thanks
Yves

Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
.I use the "Enthusiast" version. It's fine. You are limited to 3 P cars however and some advanced settings but all should be well. A lot of fun. Just download the software EXACTLY as they describe on their website.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
What do you mean by "EXACTLY"? I have installed the Durametric application and need to install the cable driver. What was your experience with the installation of this software.

On a side note, I am surprised that there is a Cable Driver to install. I suspect that this piece of code is used to actually detect the type of cable that you are using and thus limit the software to Enthusiast role or Professional role. For sure, the application part is common, and the cable driver is what distinguishes an enthusiast cable from a pro. cable.

Anyway, just wondering about their implementation....

Yves

Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
The cable driver is a 'usb driver'. Just like every USB device, there needs to be a specific driver for the device on the computer. Windows comes with many of the drivers preinstalled, and other devices like webcams and scanners and whatnot may include a driver disc. The cable driver is just that, the USB driver for the interface cable.

The software then talks to the cable, which has an embedded controller, and can ask the cable what type it is, and enable/disable the appropriate features.

Let us know if you can reset the service interval to a specific value when you do it, or if it only resets it to the 20k mi/ 2yr max (or whatever your model year's OBC is configured as)

Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Ciamaichelo is on a distinguished road
Mac or iPhone 911 Service Reset Tool?

How about a tool that works with a mac or an iPhone?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
Simple OBD codes can be reset with an obd reader. If you have an android phone, you can use the torque app for everything along with a cheap bluetooth obd reader. For more Porsche specific stuff, that won't cut it.
Is this accurate? Can I use just regular OBD code reader on 997 to reset service reminders? Thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
The thing that keeps me from ordering the Durametric is that they require Windows. We use Linux on all computers in our house. Since we are talking abut this topic, does anyone know of Linux tool with a nice GUI that actually works? I really wish companies would step up to the plate and port their products to Mac and Linux platforms-- in my opinion, there is a huge untapped market there.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM
fastsvo is on a distinguished road
Is purchasing the durametric unit the only option available to reset the codes/lights?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
fastsvo your options are:
1) dealer
2) indy
3) durametric
4) PIWIS search on google and take your chances

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fastsvo
Is purchasing the durametric unit the only option available to reset the codes/lights?
Originally Posted by mattyf
fastsvo your options are:
1) dealer
2) indy
3) durametric
4) PIWIS search on google and take your chances
and i think someone above also mentioned a "regular code reader". i believe you can get a cheap OBDII reader which i've heard will work but in my experience seeing them at the track, they have never worked. or maybe they just dont detect certain codes? e.g. cylinder misfires, fuel pump issues, MAF issues. in all 3 of those cases - a 997 GT3, a cayman, a 996 turbo - a regular reader did not detect anything (even tho an engine light was on and/or car was definitely behaving with issues!) whereas my durametric had no problem diagnosing them all.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
and i think someone above also mentioned a "regular code reader". i believe you can get a cheap OBDII reader which i've heard will work but in my experience seeing them at the track, they have never worked. or maybe they just dont detect certain codes? e.g. cylinder misfires, fuel pump issues, MAF issues. in all 3 of those cases - a 997 GT3, a cayman, a 996 turbo - a regular reader did not detect anything (even tho an engine light was on and/or car was definitely behaving with issues!) whereas my durametric had no problem diagnosing them all.
Even on my volkswagen I've had trouble with the cheapos.

I could be wrong, but I think things like clearing the airbag light (if you take your center console apart to replace shift cables) can't be done with the regular OBII.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best tool to reset maintenance and error codes on 997?