997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Water temp got very high and oil temp also.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Question: Have you actually observed that the ECU mod has caused higher temps around town and/or on the track? I would not think the oil would be a factor.
i agree - my brand switch has nothing to do with it and according to some, mobil to redline could lower temps but not raise them. in any case, before oil brand switch and ECU tweak, my track temps (30+ days of evidence, btw) were around 225-235, and 200-210 around town even on hottest days. after my mods, oil temp is now 250 on mild days (havent done a hot track day yet) and around town 210-220. i'm thinking with increased HP and TQ = higher combustion = higher temps? who knows. all i know is that i didnt change another single thing so one of those 2 changes had to be responsible. and i would care more only if my higher observed temps were totally out the ordinary and/or dangerous to my engine. since that doesnt seem to be the case, i'm happy...for now.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by na011
Check your coolant cap for any pink crust. The latest coolant cap should have part # 996106447.04 . If you have .01 or .02 buy a new one. The .03 never made out of production.
Unfortunately, none of the caps seal the coolant tank the way they should. I have had all of them and still see signs of leakage under the cap on my '07. /01 Boxster had the problem when I traded it in. Amazes me that Porsche still can't fix this issue after 10 years of production on the 9xx.1 water cooled motors. Porsche is the only car I have owned in 20 years that had coolant system issues. Wonder if this is still an issue with the .2 DFI engines ?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 PM
MichaelL will become famous soon enoughMichaelL will become famous soon enough
In some 41,000 miles, under all conditions, I have had the water temperature exceed 175 degrees only once, it went to 190 degrees in heavy traffic, 90+ degree weather. Had run over a "road alligator" and busted up the plastic under the left side bumper.
If the temperature gauge indicates over 175, something is wrong. The various forum reports about the "dumb" behavior of the gauge seem to have a basis in fact.
I had an LN Engineering 160 degree thermostat kit installed. I already had an X51 3rd radiator, with no indicated changes in water or oil gauge readings under any conditions, but with a slower warm up. After changing the thermostat, the indicated coolant temperatures were unchanged, but typical oil temperatures were reduced by 20 to 25 degrees, under all conditions. I have no explanation as to why this is so, but it appears to be a beneficial and inexpensive modification.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
i agree - my brand switch has nothing to do with it and according to some, mobil to redline could lower temps but not raise them. in any case, before oil brand switch and ECU tweak, my track temps (30+ days of evidence, btw) were around 225-235, and 200-210 around town even on hottest days. after my mods, oil temp is now 250 on mild days (havent done a hot track day yet) and around town 210-220. i'm thinking with increased HP and TQ = higher combustion = higher temps? who knows. all i know is that i didnt change another single thing so one of those 2 changes had to be responsible. and i would care more only if my higher observed temps were totally out the ordinary and/or dangerous to my engine. since that doesnt seem to be the case, i'm happy...for now.
I'm watching this now also. Had ecu mod and switched to motul 5-40. Oil temps seems to be running warmer overall, maybe 10 deg in the ny spring temps? (60-70). I'd say perhaps from 205 to 215. Honestly I had not been paying attention for the last 3-4 years so I wouldn't swear to it. I would think that unless the engine is being pressed temps should not go up. We'll see when it gets hot. If im at 225+ regularly in heat I will not be thrilled.

Last edited by Gpjli; 05-06-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MichaelL
In some 41,000 miles, under all conditions, I have had the water temperature exceed 175 degrees only once, it went to 190 degrees in heavy traffic, 90+ degree weather. Had run over a "road alligator" and busted up the plastic under the left side bumper.
If the temperature gauge indicates over 175, something is wrong. The various forum reports about the "dumb" behavior of the gauge seem to have a basis in fact.
I had an LN Engineering 160 degree thermostat kit installed. I already had an X51 3rd radiator, with no indicated changes in water or oil gauge readings under any conditions, but with a slower warm up. After changing the thermostat, the indicated coolant temperatures were unchanged, but typical oil temperatures were reduced by 20 to 25 degrees, under all conditions. I have no explanation as to why this is so, but it appears to be a beneficial and inexpensive modification.
Sounds like you are running oil temperatures of 180-190 under the majority of conditions. Do you find this to be the case?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM
landsteam is on a distinguished road
I was told the problem is the cooling air control unit and it has to be replaced.