997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Targa Bruised Badly! (ugly pics warning)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I've always wondered if the 997 factory car alarm would trigger in a situation like this. If so, guess you couldn't hear it.

I had a previous car hit in a fast food restuarant parking lot. Luckily, it triggered the alarm and I ran out to catch him as he made a lame attempt to drive off. He claimed he was just pulling around to park and come find me...yeah right!!!

I guess I'm not as **** as some of the board members on the topic of body work. True, no one wants accidents, body work, or even paint work for that matter. But if you plan to drive the car on public roads, this stuff happens. I disagree that the car is ruined now after having had body work. With technology now, the car will look brand new when you get it back. Sure, it may show up on history reports and hurt resale but the mentality that you should dump a car because of a fender bender is a bit extreme to me. I'm the type that holds onto cars for a while (which also makes me unusual in this forum), so I've come to the realization with it as a DD that something will happen sometime and I will have to get it repaired. But I'd rather have a fully restored 200k mile 997 in 30 years than one with 2k miles all original that I never got to enjoy.

Best of luck - sorry to hear your story!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
NugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really niceNugeC4S is just really nice
I've been there - I feel your pain - just put it out of your head and know that she'll be back before you know it ... and you'll put this out of your head. I'm really sorry - **** happens

Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uhn2000
. Add insult to injury I really wanted to keep it after the 2 year lease was done and not sure I want to after a $15,000.00 accident on record.
It's awful .. but I don't think it will cost 15K to repair vased on looking at the photos. The structural integrity looks ok .

If leased .. I would not keep the car beyond the term .
If you did own it you would not lose that much based on the one panel and bumper if its fixed correctly .

Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Cbad308 has a spectacular aura aboutCbad308 has a spectacular aura about
I'd rather have a fully restored 200k mile 997 in 30 years than one with 2k miles all original that I never got to enjoy.

Well said.

I too am sorry for you.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
Wow, glad to hear you found the culprit. I'm sure they will be a little more careful in the future, especially after they get a big dose of increased insurance premiums for the next few years. It would be cheaper for them to pay for your repairs out of their own pocked.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 AM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
i want to cry.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Nothing a good coat of Zaino can't fix!...

Seriously, the damage appears cosmetic, not structural. A new right fender, a new front fascia, and a new hood and you're good as new.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:09 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NC 997
Nothing a good coat of Zaino can't fix!...

Seriously, the damage appears cosmetic, not structural. A new right fender, a new front fascia, and a new hood and you're good as new.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 AM
mjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the roughmjsporsche is a jewel in the rough
As it has been said often, the real permanent damage to the car is when a less than perfect body shop screws it up. A great shop, with an outstanding reputation, is the only way to go.

The Carfax may not be perfect but stuff happens and you want your car repaired like new. Do your reseach now.

Mark

Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
Did you call a cop when you found it? If so, that likely would have been classified as a 'hit and run' which is a serious offense and the other driver would be in deep trouble.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mihink
Terrible accident. But I have to say the area you parked in looks pretty shady; parking lot and the drab building next to it looks to be in a bad 'hood.
Hope you get your car fixed fast!
Its Yonge and Eglinton in Toronto - its actually a really nice area just tons of old buildings everywhere - prime rent. I have been parking there for over 2 years without any issues.

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
if that is a Porsche lease they are the ones with the residual gaurantee. you may make back some $ on this in the end to ease the pain.

notwithstanding that whack - that Targa in silver with the Turbo II wheels really looks good. from Pfaff or Downtown?
Its a closed lease.. so you just drop of the keys. Thankfully also bought the safe lease return option

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I am really bummed Uhn. Holy crap. It is becoming impossible to DD our cars (like they are meant to be) with all the distracted driving out there. Speedy recovery and +1 on not keeping it beyond the lease period. I can't bear to see that beauty in that shape. I can feel your pain. Sorry for this.
Its funny you should mention the DD stuff. I feel so much more at ease on the road driving the rental (G37) then I did about my own car. It got me thinking that I may need a true DD - the 911 just asks for trouble

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Looks like a fender, nose and paint. $15k sounds a bit high.
Maybe in the US but up here in rip off Canada, a different story 2nd the pictures really don't look at all that bad but in person its a different story. I think the silver hides a lot of the damage. The dual xenon dynamic lighting unit is $3000.00 alone. The LED is something like $990.00. Good he came back - its insurance covered!

Last edited by uhn2000; 05-19-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
I've always wondered if the 997 factory car alarm would trigger in a situation like this. If so, guess you couldn't hear it.

I had a previous car hit in a fast food restuarant parking lot. Luckily, it triggered the alarm and I ran out to catch him as he made a lame attempt to drive off. He claimed he was just pulling around to park and come find me...yeah right!!!

I guess I'm not as **** as some of the board members on the topic of body work. True, no one wants accidents, body work, or even paint work for that matter. But if you plan to drive the car on public roads, this stuff happens. I disagree that the car is ruined now after having had body work. With technology now, the car will look brand new when you get it back. Sure, it may show up on history reports and hurt resale but the mentality that you should dump a car because of a fender bender is a bit extreme to me. I'm the type that holds onto cars for a while (which also makes me unusual in this forum), so I've come to the realization with it as a DD that something will happen sometime and I will have to get it repaired. But I'd rather have a fully restored 200k mile 997 in 30 years than one with 2k miles all original that I never got to enjoy.

Thanks for the insight. Actually the alarm did not go off.. don't know why -the hit was loud enough that a contractor on the building across the street grabbed a picture.

100% agreed about the body work. If you are going to use it as a DD you are going to have put up with these types of situations. Frankly the residual is ultra low at the end and my only reason for considering a buy back would be to keep the Targa. I love the Targa and not sure what Porsche's plans are for the 991.

Anyhow we will see, 18 months away still.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by b2sc
Did you call a cop when you found it? If so, that likely would have been classified as a 'hit and run' which is a serious offense and the other driver would be in deep trouble.

Wife wanted me to go to town on the guy and report him for leaving the scene. I was just relieved he came back - my deductible is $5000.00 if they don't have another policy to bill it to.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Wife wanted me to go to town on the guy and report him for leaving the scene. I was just relieved he came back - my deductible is $5000.00 if they don't have another policy to bill it to.
Well, its a hit and run. They guy should be reported for that crime.
Its nothing to just wave off. Once you get into an accident, there is almost nothing that really is more important than that. Short of going to the hospital to say your last goodbyes or be a donor in an operation, everything else takes a back seat.

I'd not expect the alarm to go off unless something opened (side window broke or frunk lid popped. Mere shock sensors are a PITA and generally go off at too sensitive of a situation.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:47 PM
EJ-997 will become famous soon enough
Same thing happened to me. A teenager backed his truck into my front fender. The body shop did a great job replacing the fender and matching the paint. I also had the clear bra replaced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Targa Bruised Badly! (ugly pics warning)