997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New 991 Targa is old Targa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 AM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Looks great. I hope it's true.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 AM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
This is gonna be so sick.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Not if it leaks like the old ones.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
itspol is on a distinguished road
I like it too.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
K997 will become famous soon enoughK997 will become famous soon enough
Fantastically awesome.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Wow that's big news. Definitely good news! a 3.2 targa w/ G50 is still on my wishlist. I wonder if the speculation about a convertible hardtop have any merit...?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Exciting to know.. very cool. May return my Targa after all when lease expires... this would truly be the best of all worlds!

Last edited by uhn2000; 06-15-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
Autobild just reported that the new 991 Targa goes old school and will get a removable roof section
and a full width roll bar instead of the sliding glass-sunroof. What do u think? i like the old school more.

Hate it... I would not buy one.

• You loose the rear hatch utility.
  • You now have to store those roof panels that you need to manually remove, somewhere in all that wonderful 911 storage space.... I guess next to the spare tire.
Manual panels? Then just give me hand crank windows too.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
baaash is on a distinguished road
looks good maybe less practicle, but looks different and better than before!!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
Hate it... I would not buy one.

• You loose the rear hatch utility.
  • You now have to store those roof panels that you need to manually remove, somewhere in all that wonderful 911 storage space.... I guess next to the spare tire.
Manual panels? Then just give me hand crank windows too.

it´s just a rendering, maybe the final version will still carry a hatch feature.
as far as the storage is concerned, maybe Porsche has found a clever solution for it, we`ll see.

i like that Porsche decided to go back to its origins, to the real iconic targa theme.
the 997 targa is a nice car, don`t get me wrong, but for me (and i am not the only one),
it is just a 997 with a panorama roof. more practical but also less iconic.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
it´s just a rendering, maybe the final version will still carry a hatch feature.
as far as the storage is concerned, maybe Porsche has found a clever solution for it, we`ll see.

i like that Porsche decided to go back to its origins, to the real iconic targa theme.
the 997 targa is a nice car, don`t get me wrong, but for me (and i am not the only one),
it is just a 997 with a panorama roof. more practical but also less iconic.
the hatch: it's a useful feature no doubt, but does anyone really buy or not buy a targa for that reason?

storage: i really hope ur right, but consider the manual roof and assembly of the recent boxster spyder. does not inspire much confidence in that dept.

overall, i totally agree. the 997 targa layout is more practical, but there is something great about tying it back to the heritage. and it just looks so sexy!

we'll see it it happens. the rumor of a KERS feature now seems to be wrong (at least for the next few yrs).

Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jacked997
So sick...great to see they are delving into the past for future inspiration,

-Jacked997
Porsche hasn't stopped doing this since the 911 was created, no? The first one was genius... The rest are just slightly modified.

Where some see 'inspiration from the past', others see 'lack of innovation and originality'. It comes down to preference, I guess.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
the hatch: it's a useful feature no doubt, but does anyone really buy or not buy a targa for that reason?

storage: i really hope ur right, but consider the manual roof and assembly of the recent boxster spyder. does not inspire much confidence in that dept.

overall, i totally agree. the 997 targa layout is more practical, but there is something great about tying it back to the heritage. and it just looks so sexy!

we'll see it it happens. the rumor of a KERS feature now seems to be wrong (at least for the next few yrs).
i think the rear hatch utility is a cool and practical feature.
most coupe drivers would probably love to have that feature, but in the end i guess the majority of potential targa drivers would say:
emotions > practicality.
the boxster spyder was a limited edition, old school purist etc etc. model, the targa is more like a mass production model in comparison,
so here is hoping that they did something clever with the roof and even if not, there would be something special about it.
something old school and that´s what i really like about Porsche.
the best in perfomance but with that reminscence and love for the past and their heritage.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Porsche hasn't stopped doing this since the 911 was created, no? The first one was genius... The rest are just slightly modified.

Where some see 'inspiration from the past', others see 'lack of innovation and originality'. It comes down to preference, I guess.

i think with the Porsche 918 Spyder these questions are answered.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
i think with the Porsche 918 Spyder these questions are answered.
Don't get me wrong... I loved the Carrera GT, and now the 918 (eagerly awaiting its release). I just find it amusing reading the point of view of some members here. When they do something old, it is 'retro' - using 'heritage', bringing 'old school', etc... But when other brands try it on certain models, it gets slammed, because the car maker did nothing to improve the design.

The issue here, I see - is that those who like the 911 would not like to see any major changes to the car. Those who like new stuff and change things up often, want to see something new.

Basically - how do we decide whether a manufacturer is 'bold' by sticking with what works, or 'afraid' of change? Personal bias.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 06-16-2011 at 05:36 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 991 Targa is old Targa