997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Outstanding polish/wax for your Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ramluro
Story behind this picture. My 7yr old son built a GT3 RS lego kit and wanted to daddy to buy the real car. So I took him to see the car they had in the showroom at a local dealership. He wanted a pic of his car against the real one. I love the GT3 RS, but its most likely not practical for the way I use my C4S.
neat story

Old 09-05-2011, 09:23 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Story behind this picture. My 7yr old son built a GT3 RS lego kit and wanted to daddy to buy the real car. So I took him to see the car they had in the showroom at a local dealership. He wanted a pic of his car against the real one. I love the GT3 RS, but its most likely not practical for the way I use my C4S.
Ok, I need to know where you found that Lego kit!

Nevermind. Found it

Last edited by bonehead; 09-05-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 AM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
At the high-end level I am guessing that each brand of polish/waxes (Menzerna, Pinnacle, P21s, etc) all work beautifully and it's just a matter of personal preference.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PTParks
Zaino.
^This.

Zaino is one of the better products out on the market, and it's easy to use as well. I've had much better results with Zaino compared to Zymol.

Z-2 Paint protectant is great, but I stopped using it and have switched to Z-CS for the ease
Z-5 Swirl filler is meh (doesn't actually fill in swirls)
Z-6 Detailer spray (I have multiple bottles on hand at all times)
Z-7 Car wash soap is good, but other products are fine as well
Z-8 Grand Finale spray gives it an awesome glow
Z-16 Tire gloss (non-tacky finish is nice)

As far as filling in swirls, I've tried dozens of them and they all have limited, if any effect. I've stopped believing in the marketing hype behind products that supposedly does wonders to hide swirls.

The only way to get rid of swirl is to use a proper dual action polisher with a good abrasive. I use a combination of Lake Country polishing pads and Menzerna's Intense Polish and Final Polish II.

It can turn this abused paint:

Into this:

Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have not used Zanio...need to try it out though....but I've used Menzerna products and those are awesome. Griot's Garage makes some outstanding product too...and they teach you how to do this type of paint work too.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm a big believer in the 4 step process.

1. Deposit coins in slot
2. Select wash and sealant foo foo wax
3. Put car in neutral and watch the brushes
4. Select gear and drive out somewhat cleaner without breaking a sweat

How could you ask for more?
The previous owner of my car probably felt the same as you, hence the raping of the paint finish that took me 5 hours to correct.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Vintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura about
I agree that a orbital buffer is needed to do a proper wax application. I do that as well.

My comments where about HD Cleanse, which is used between washing and waxing.

I've been using it for many, many years and I'm thrilled with its results. Now, I grant you............I don't know whats in it, or how it's made. I just know I like the result it produces.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Is that lego kit still available somewhere?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vintage TONE
I agree that a orbital buffer is needed to do a proper wax application. I do that as well.

My comments where about HD Cleanse, which is used between washing and waxing.
I never said that. In fact, many professionals apply wax by hand. Are you sure you know the difference between a wax and a polish?

Originally Posted by Vintage TONE
I've been using it for many, many years and I'm thrilled with its results. Now, I grant you............I don't know whats in it, or how it's made. I just know I like the result it produces.
Now THAT is an answer I can get behind. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. Just don't be so quick to tell someone they're wrong if you're not even sure what a product does or know its intended purpose.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Is that lego kit still available somewhere?
LOL. Did a quick google search and made a trip to Toys R Us today.

http://www.megabloks.com/Shop/MEGA_B..._GT3_RS_95722/

Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Googled HD cleanse and it's a paint cleaner similar to Pinnacle http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html

It doesn't remove scratches, just has a filler to hide them and also removes old wax,etc. Sounds like a decent glaze for in between polishing. BTW, I always apply wax by hand, a buffer isn't really going to add much.

BTW, nice job on the black turbo.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Googled HD cleanse and it's a paint cleaner similar to Pinnacle http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html

It doesn't remove scratches, just has a filler to hide them and also removes old wax,etc. Sounds like a decent glaze for in between polishing. BTW, I always apply wax by hand, a buffer isn't really going to add much.

BTW, nice job on the black turbo.
Thanks! The wing and the vents in the back were a pain to do, but it looks pretty good now.

I never apply waxes with a buffer either. I suppose if you're using a cleaner wax, it makes sense to use it, but I prefer the multistage polish, then coat method over using a all-in-one abrasive and wax type products.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bonehead
LOL. Did a quick google search and made a trip to Toys R Us today.

http://www.megabloks.com/Shop/MEGA_B..._GT3_RS_95722/
Thanks! I should have guessed it was Megaboks. I have their Ford GT kit.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Thumbs up Wax

My favorite Porsche perfectionista insists on Menzerna wax; I was unfamiliar with this until recently, but, wow.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 AM
mathfuzzy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
thanks for the info.... $101.00 how big is the jar? and how many application can you get out of the 1 jar?
I think it's an eight ounce jar. I've gotten something like 6 waxes out of the jar.

The Zymol Glassur wax is good - seems similar to their Concours wax. In my experience, it's really a garage queen wax, rather than an every day, long-lasting protection sort of wax. For the latter, I use either the One Grand Blitz wax or one of the sealants from Griot's Garage.

BTW, if you don't know about it, check out www.carcareonline.com Good site, great service and I've found their prices to be consistently fair.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Outstanding polish/wax for your Porsche