997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bad news: taking my 997 to the track tomorrow! :0 Need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Bad news: taking my 997 to the track tomorrow! :0 Need advice

My 944 is not going to make it to the track this weekend due to mechanical issues. I'd like to blow the whole thing off, but I need to be there as I committed to instruct with the BMW club. So, I'll be commuting there in my 997 and I'll probably take it out for some (hopefully) easy sessions.
It's Road Atlanta and my mods are in my sig. No time for brake fluid, alignment, etc. It's just going to go in the same shape as my daily commute.
I'm riding on fairly new Hankooks

Here's my plan:

Go out easy, take it easy the whole day. PSM off, sport more on.

I never had PSM off, but I almost always drive with sport mode on.

I've been driving on the track for 11 years (probably well over 100 days, maybe 150. Los count long ago) including PCA club racing in the 944 at Road ATL and other tracks. Before the 944, I tracked a 964 C4 Cab, so I know a bit about the rear engine thing. Of course I instruct as well, as stated above. We removed the understeer bias in that car with sway bars, etc, so I was driving a pretty neutral car after it was sorted. All that just to provide an idea of experience and skill level.

Here's where I'm looking for advice:

- PSM setting
- sport mode setting
- tire pressures

Im open to other advice, but I'm not sure it will be relevant. Please don't hold back, though.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Also, I'm bringing some oil to have on hand, but not much else. torque wrench, glass cleaner, easy up, chair, fluids to drink, blah, blah, blah.
I plan to put racers tape on the front lights. I have some clear bra on the car... HANS won't work with the 3point belts and no time for safety mods. Hmmm

Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I leave PSM on, I don't see it interfering, and I guess if it is really needed, it is there for you.

Otherwise, have fun, the Damptronics will be great, for fun try a few laps with them in normal, and see how much of a difference they make.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I leave PSM on, I don't see it interfering, and I guess if it is really needed, it is there for you.

Otherwise, have fun, the Damptronics will be great, for fun try a few laps with them in normal, and see how much of a difference they make.
I'll give that a try, NV. Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:50 PM
simtiaz has a spectacular aura aboutsimtiaz has a spectacular aura about
I did my first DE with pcar couple of months back on street tires (potenzas), I drove with PSM OFF and sport on all three days and really had fun. Regarding tire pressure; since it was around 80s temp when I was at the track, I had my tire pressure dropped to 32psi, I could have go down to 30 but kept it 32.
I did do a brake flush few weeks in advance along with oil change and carried couple of qts of oil w/me just incase if it ran low or burn. They say that even if you turn off your PSM, it's still on, I am lucky I didn't have to find out though
Take your tire pressure guage, and blue painters tape. I have full clear bra on front so didn't have to tape up anything. I used blue tape for the number
You'll have blast w/your suspension mods, take it easy on first few runs and gradually increase as you feel comfortable with car.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
My advice...DON'T do it
This is how it starts....first it will be JUST today,then it will become a dedicated track car,LOL.......
Phone in sick.....you got a flat tire,just to give you a few reasons to NOT making it!

Have fun and be safe and for goodness sake.....go easy on the ol' girl and at least get a good pic of her in action!

Cheers,

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 09-09-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:18 PM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Regarding PSM - aren't you guys concerned that when it senses wheel slippage, it's constantly applying brakes, changing throttle settings, etc? I'd think that if you're an experienced track driver, you'd drive with PSM off. You don't have it in the 944, so why would you need it here?

I only have one Porsche, so I drive the one I've got So far so good...

Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by rye595
Regarding PSM - aren't you guys concerned that when it senses wheel slippage, it's constantly applying brakes, changing throttle settings, etc? I'd think that if you're an experienced track driver, you'd drive with PSM off. You don't have it in the 944, so why would you need it here?

Honestly, I don't really know what to expect. I may try it both ways...

Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Hey Brother! Wish I were there with you, but my new engine isn't in yet...
Road Atlanta is fantastic, not my favorite, but a great track. With the long straights you will be breaking hard, especially going into 10a, which is where you can fry your brakes, so watch that. I got my 997 with the SC up to around 160mph on that back straight.

Keep PSM on, no doubt about it. Sport mode, for sure- the only place you'll feel it being a little harsh will be in the Esses. If you're on R Compounds, rejoice in the 10a/10b combo, which is my favorite part of the track!

If you are running on Sunday, keep in mind the noise restrictions due to the Church next door. With my exhaust (Gundo and AWE cats) I cannot run on Sunday AM's.

Bring a set of socket wrenches (metric- duh!), a role of blue painters tape, a folding chair with a cooler full of ice and bottled water, and you should be all set.

If you have time, invest in a GoPro HD Hero. Have fun!
CATTMAN

Attached Images  

Last edited by Cattman; 09-09-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Writing this from the track (NJMP), just finished day 1 of 3 day N Jersey PCA event --

PSM: I always leave it on but i have less experience than you do (about 25 days total). A couple times every event it kicks in aggressively and saves me when I've overcooked it. My advice is if it's your first time tracking the 997, which of course has a lot more power than your 944, and on tires that aren't the best for the track, don't be a hero -- use the PSM.

Pressures: I usually start at 31 front 33 rear (on mich super sports) and go from there. It was 83 degrees and sunny here today and I had to keep dropping down to keep under 40psi. I suggest 31/33 to start on the 'kooks and keep an eye on it after session 1.

Enjoy it with confidence -- I drive a mostly stock 997 (see my sig), heavier than yours, and am still amazed at how capable these cars are on the track...

Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
Hey Brother! Wish I were there with you, but my new engine isn't in yet...
Road Atlanta is fantastic, not my favorite, but a great track. With the long straights you will be breaking hard, especially going into 10a, which is where you can fry your brakes, so watch that. I got my 997 with the SC up to around 160mph on that back straight.

Keep PSM on, no doubt about it. Sport mode, for sure- the only place you'll feel it being a little harsh will be in the Esses. If you're on R Compounds, rejoice in the 10a/10b combo, which is my favorite part of the track!

If you are running on Sunday, keep in mind the noise restrictions due to the Church next door. With my exhaust (Gundo and AWE cats) I cannot run on Sunday AM's.

Bring a set of socket wrenches (metric- duh!), a role of blue painters tape, a folding chair with a cooler full of ice and bottled water, and you should be all set.

If you have time, invest in a GoPro HD Hero. Have fun!
CATTMAN
Thanks for the insight, Cattman. No time for camera as I have to get up before 6 am tomorrow. My style through 10a/b is to hit both gators, and I'm not sure if I want to do that with this car. We'll see.
In my 944, I have an AIM DaVid setup, which is data and video. Very cool2-camera setup with data overlay. No such amenities with the street car...

Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
With my '09 C2S I would leave PSM on. Never noticed a problem.

Sport mode on - I think it also will change the PSM threshold for interference if I remember right.

For the tires (mine were PS2's) I'd try 34/36psi hot to start with and adjust from there.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
You have tons of experience so go enjoy the weekend. You can always get a feel for the car the 1st 1-2 sessions with PSM on then go out with it off the rest of the weekend.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM
lawjdc is on a distinguished road
If you have been driving a 944, you will be amazed at how very, very good your C2S is on track, even without any mods. However, be warned that you might find the 911 track experience addicting. I did, and ended up with the GT3 a year later.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rye595

Maybe mine is broken, I never have it kicking in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad news: taking my 997 to the track tomorrow! :0 Need advice