997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My 991 Test Drive last weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
991 w/ winter tires

Thanks for the followup Tom. I checked w/ a Minn. pcar dealer. Their launch car has Perilli snows on due to the temp. but their 20" wheels.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
I kinda expected that center console to be a bit overwhelming in the 991 cabin. It's great in Panamara and excellent in Cayenne, but there's only so much room in the 991...

I agree, great write up! You must write for those car magazines in your spare time...

Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Great write-up Tom!
Please humor a fellow Targa owner: Did the 991 have a sunroof and if so how does it compare to the 997 Targa?

Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 AM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for a great wright up!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
911CSLover will become famous soon enough911CSLover will become famous soon enough
What an absolutely spectacular write up. You should write for C&D!

Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Great write-up Tom!
Please humor a fellow Targa owner: Did the 991 have a sunroof and if so how does it compare to the 997 Targa?
Hey KonaKai
The 991 I drove had a sunroof.
It was really well integrated both inside and out.
From the interior, it looked pretty standard. Maybe it's a bit wider than the old one, but it was nowhere near as expansive as the 997 Targa roof.
No way would it produce that sense of openness.
Or, for those who aren't Targa fans, I guess it wouldn't produce the fishbowl.
I had only a quick look and didn't fool around with it much, so I'm not claiming in-depth knowledge here.
Hope my former home-base city is treating you well.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 AM
911 Molar is on a distinguished road
Excellent write up
Email this to Chris Harris at evo in the uk
As good, probably better
Bravo sir

Molar

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 911 Molar
Excellent write up
Email this to Chris Harris at evo in the uk
As good, probably better
Bravo sir

Molar
Thanks Molar. Appreciate the kind words. Chris might have a bit more track skill than me though.
I'd not read, listened to, or watched any reviews of the 991. Nothing. I'd seen a few pics, but not more - really wanted impressions of the drive to be my own.
So it was interesting to watch Chris's drive of a 991. I pulled it up a few minutes ago on YouTube.
One of the first things he talks about is the car being 'bigger'. He mentions it a few times. A couple of posters here disagree. But I'm obviously in Harris' camp. The business part of the car occupies more real estate.
But I guess he and I disagree about the console.
C'est la vie.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
The Chris Harris review is one of the reasons my expectations for the 991 were quite high before I drove it. I honestly thought the 991 is likely to be my next car, maybe sooner rather than later. But as I noted in other threads, after my test drives, I was less enthused than Chris. It goes to show that we car enthusiasts do vary in our preferences, so there's no substitute for driving a car yourself to determine whether you like it.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:25 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Your write up was excellent and more illuminating than any of the professional write ups I've seen!

I was wondering on your comments on the refinements, if that is what happens with every major revision. Hasn't every new major revision resulted in significantly more performance and refinement? All the older models seem a bit more "sportier"?

Your description of the center gadget panel is in line with what the photos look like to me. Maybe I will feel different when I sit in one. Maybe it's just the "change" I have to get used to.