997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brake Pads and Locking Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Brake Pads and Locking Question

Hey
I have a 2006 carrera. Its reaching its mid-life crisis of 40k miles and I like to keep her looking tip top. The brakes are really putting off a lot of dust and I think they are ready to be replaced.

1.) Will getting new pads fix the dust? Does it increase as they age?
2.) Are there low dust brake pads?
3.) Can I put ceramic brake pads on it?
4.) Is there a dashboard sensor that lights up when the brakes need to be replaced? I assume so.
5.) Sometimes I lock my porsche with the remote/key and it honks. Why does it do this?
6.) Could someone kindly provide me with a link of some pads that would work for this car? I have found some on ebay but I dont want to screw things up...

Thanks guys, sorry I am not the brightest guy with cars.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
1.) Will getting new pads fix the dust? No, if you use the brakes they will all create dust. The harder you use them the more dust they create.

1a.) Does it increase as they age? Not that I am aware of.

2.) Are there low dust brake pads? ProbablyYou can buy metallic brake pads that will wear longer and probably create less dust but they are noisier and harder on your rotors.

3.) Can I put ceramic brake pads on it? Yes, but I think I've read where it costs an ungodly amount of money (20k?) to install all of the Porsche components for ceramic brakes.
4.) Is there a dashboard sensor that lights up when the brakes need to be replaced? I think so, your owners manual should give you a list of all warning messages that could appear.
5.) Sometimes I lock my porsche with the remote/key and it honks. Why does it do this? I dont know what year your car is, but mine has a smart module on it and the horn honk on lock/unlock is enabled. If yours has this feature from the factory, it normally means you're trying to lock the car and it's already locked.
6.) Could someone kindly provide me with a link of some pads that would work for this car? I have found some on ebay but I dont want to screw things up...
I would recommend getting the OEM pads from your dealer unless you want to go to high performance after market pads.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
1) no. no.
2) no.
3) yes, if you want to spend 20k+ for all the other associated rotors, sensors, calipers, etc.
4) yes if the sensors have not been tied off/tied back. are you the original owner? if so, no worries. if not, i'd check to make sure the sensors are still in place. only asking because 40k is a LOT for one set of (non-ceramic disc) pads...unless you've had them replaced in the past as well.
5) might mean your frunk is ajar (or the sensor that senses it closed is malfunctioning)
6) dont go thru the stealership. go suncoastparts.com or call them. they sell OEM stuff and have much better pricing.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
You might want to look into the Carbotech 1521 for less dust with a street pad.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp#compounds1