6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   porsche 997 engine failure (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/274683-porsche-997-engine-failure.html)

Prinz 04-29-2012 03:20 PM

porsche 997 engine failure

I have a 06 Carrera S with 28k full service history. The engine has failed with piston problems, I have had it taken apart and they have discovered that the crank is also badly marked/scored. I then spoke to a reputable Porsche engine builder and he tells me that because so much filings has gone threw the engine causing the crank problem that its best to re-place engine!
So this is where my dilemma starts I cant afford a new Porsche re-placement and if I go to the breaker yards I don't know what im buying because this problem seems to be so wide spread with the 997,s that some of these breaker cars may be the result of insurance scams! And I don't feel like buying someone else's problem again.

tiyyara 04-29-2012 03:41 PM

sounds like DMS issues, many threads on this here. Maybe you have some porsche factory recourse, look it up
Sorry to hear that good luck

keninirvine 04-29-2012 04:00 PM

I've been on these forums for the past few years, and have seldom heard of this type of problem with 997.1 motors. I'd wager that the percentage of cars that have had major engine issues is VERY low. You definitely hear about the ones that have problems, but don't hear about the vast majority that don't have problems.

However, sorry to hear yours is damaged, and hope you can find a cost-effective solution. The trouble with so many salvage dealers is that they charge so much, basing their prices on the new replacement cost and then discounting slightly. But perhaps you will be able to find a good motor somewhere. Good luck.

cavsct94 04-29-2012 04:23 PM

Sorry. That really stinks.

chance6 04-29-2012 05:17 PM

First off, very sorry to hear this. When you drove it did you make sure to go easy on the engine (less than 4200 rpm) until fluids reached full operating temperature ? Just curious how other drivers drive in the first 5-7 minutes of operation.

MLindgren 04-29-2012 05:29 PM

I know people hate to pay for service at a dealer but in cases like this they are the only ones who have a chance at getting any kind of help from PCNA.

denversteve 04-29-2012 07:40 PM

Bad situation - but there are not "widespread" problems with these engines. Was it making any unusual noises, CEL light, oil burning or low oil issues? Had to be some indication that you were getting metal on metal at some point prior to failure. I would have it towed somewhere else for a rebuild opinion. One "expert" does not an accurate opinion make. Not the time for you but that's why I always buy a service agreement on any used car I buy.

NorthVan 04-29-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MLindgren (Post 3529785)
I know people hate to pay for service at a dealer but in cases like this they are the only ones who have a chance at getting any kind of help from PCNA.

PCNA doesn't cover cars that are in Northern Ireland.

gasongasoff 04-29-2012 11:42 PM

Out of curiosity, was one set of exhaust tips dirtier than the other?

Fahrer 04-30-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 3529778)
First off, very sorry to hear this. When you drove it did you make sure to go easy on the engine (less than 4200 rpm) until fluids reached full operating temperature ? Just curious how other drivers drive in the first 5-7 minutes of operation.

For me, less than 3000 rpms until the oil temp passes 200F.

spiffyjiff 04-30-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Prinz (Post 3529716)
I have a 06 Carrera S with 28k full service history. The engine has failed with piston problems, I have had it taken apart and they have discovered that the crank is also badly marked/scored. I then spoke to a reputable Porsche engine builder and he tells me that because so much filings has gone threw the engine causing the crank problem that its best to re-place engine!

sorry to hear that, OP.

but i'm pretty sure this is another vote for oil analysis, yeah? would at least have been an early warning of elevated metals in the sample. i send mine out to blackstone after every change.

cavsct94 04-30-2012 07:34 AM

I also began doing oil analysis with my last change. The report I got back gave me real peace of mind and it will be nice to see changes over time.

Alan C. 04-30-2012 08:43 AM

It is always upsetting to read about one of these. Good luck with your repairs. Possibly start with an engine from a yard and then rebuild it before installing it. That would allow you to address all of the issues and be confident of a long engine life. However, that might be more than a factory engine with warranty.

jhbrennan 04-30-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrer (Post 3530295)
For me, less than 3000 rpms until the oil temp passes 200F.

Oil temp at 200F is fully warmed up - mine seldom passes 200F and then only on the hottest of Texas days, usually pegged right at 200F. I keep rpm's below 4000 until oil temp guage moves off of the lower mark. By that time engine is up to operating temps.

jaspergtr 04-30-2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 3529778)
...Just curious how other drivers drive in the first 5-7 minutes of operation.

I'm glad I'm not the only one...

OP - sorry to hear. Please let us know the outcome.