997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

porsche 997 engine failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Prinz is on a distinguished road
Angry porsche 997 engine failure

I have a 06 Carrera S with 28k full service history. The engine has failed with piston problems, I have had it taken apart and they have discovered that the crank is also badly marked/scored. I then spoke to a reputable Porsche engine builder and he tells me that because so much filings has gone threw the engine causing the crank problem that its best to re-place engine!
So this is where my dilemma starts I cant afford a new Porsche re-placement and if I go to the breaker yards I don't know what im buying because this problem seems to be so wide spread with the 997,s that some of these breaker cars may be the result of insurance scams! And I don't feel like buying someone else's problem again.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
sounds like DMS issues, many threads on this here. Maybe you have some porsche factory recourse, look it up
Sorry to hear that good luck

Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I've been on these forums for the past few years, and have seldom heard of this type of problem with 997.1 motors. I'd wager that the percentage of cars that have had major engine issues is VERY low. You definitely hear about the ones that have problems, but don't hear about the vast majority that don't have problems.

However, sorry to hear yours is damaged, and hope you can find a cost-effective solution. The trouble with so many salvage dealers is that they charge so much, basing their prices on the new replacement cost and then discounting slightly. But perhaps you will be able to find a good motor somewhere. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Sorry. That really stinks.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
First off, very sorry to hear this. When you drove it did you make sure to go easy on the engine (less than 4200 rpm) until fluids reached full operating temperature ? Just curious how other drivers drive in the first 5-7 minutes of operation.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:29 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
I know people hate to pay for service at a dealer but in cases like this they are the only ones who have a chance at getting any kind of help from PCNA.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Bad situation - but there are not "widespread" problems with these engines. Was it making any unusual noises, CEL light, oil burning or low oil issues? Had to be some indication that you were getting metal on metal at some point prior to failure. I would have it towed somewhere else for a rebuild opinion. One "expert" does not an accurate opinion make. Not the time for you but that's why I always buy a service agreement on any used car I buy.

Last edited by denversteve; 04-29-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MLindgren
I know people hate to pay for service at a dealer but in cases like this they are the only ones who have a chance at getting any kind of help from PCNA.
PCNA doesn't cover cars that are in Northern Ireland.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:42 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Out of curiosity, was one set of exhaust tips dirtier than the other?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by chance6
First off, very sorry to hear this. When you drove it did you make sure to go easy on the engine (less than 4200 rpm) until fluids reached full operating temperature ? Just curious how other drivers drive in the first 5-7 minutes of operation.

For me, less than 3000 rpms until the oil temp passes 200F.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Prinz
I have a 06 Carrera S with 28k full service history. The engine has failed with piston problems, I have had it taken apart and they have discovered that the crank is also badly marked/scored. I then spoke to a reputable Porsche engine builder and he tells me that because so much filings has gone threw the engine causing the crank problem that its best to re-place engine!
sorry to hear that, OP.

but i'm pretty sure this is another vote for oil analysis, yeah? would at least have been an early warning of elevated metals in the sample. i send mine out to blackstone after every change.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
I also began doing oil analysis with my last change. The report I got back gave me real peace of mind and it will be nice to see changes over time.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
It is always upsetting to read about one of these. Good luck with your repairs. Possibly start with an engine from a yard and then rebuild it before installing it. That would allow you to address all of the issues and be confident of a long engine life. However, that might be more than a factory engine with warranty.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:42 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fahrer
For me, less than 3000 rpms until the oil temp passes 200F.
Oil temp at 200F is fully warmed up - mine seldom passes 200F and then only on the hottest of Texas days, usually pegged right at 200F. I keep rpm's below 4000 until oil temp guage moves off of the lower mark. By that time engine is up to operating temps.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chance6
...Just curious how other drivers drive in the first 5-7 minutes of operation.
I'm glad I'm not the only one...

OP - sorry to hear. Please let us know the outcome.