997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

the upgrading path just got more complicated...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
the upgrading path just got more complicated...

Oh well, the newer the better, right?

As many 993 owners faced the 1999 introduced 996, there was no hurry to upgrade... some took the headlamp's design as an atrocity but the interior was some how an upgrade (at 1980's standards!) from the spartan 993 design. The 996 was a car that was easy to drive, has adequate horsepower and handling but looked a little too bland in the exterior department. Then came the 2002 996; with the turbo headlamps, improved rigidity and more ponies... it now features a glove compartment! yay! this is the one I got... and pretty much loved it to dead. Quickly I learn what "soft touch" meant on Porsche lingo and replaced all of those parts with real carbon fiber all over. The mod frenzy took good 3 years to be completed and at the end I had a car that not only was amazing, but sounded amazing and felt amazing. Got the upgrade itch and the prices for the 997 came down to my approach. It was an upgrade that made sense: new headlights, new tail lights, curvi-licious wide looking rear end and the interior was a great welcome to the 2000's technology (no more ford taurus round-nedd around). I was in love when I found a black/black 997. This time, I told myself that I would do all the mods as fast as possible, so I could start enjoying the car right away... and I did. Now that I have few things to do and love the car even more but looking into the future, I cannot see myself upgrading to the 997.2.

Sure I get the new DFI engine and what now but the interior is pretty much the same as what I have but on a basic set up (all my interior is full of painted trim and carbon fiber and even my 2005 steering wheel was upgraded with a 2012 model, along with airbag and everything) Maybe I will need to keep this car for 10 years and move to the 991...

What's your plan? do you have a 997 and plan to upgrade to a 997.2 or rather wait and move to the 991 when the time and prices tell you to do it?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Nice looking car and glad to hear that your a happy with the car and mods. You have more will power than most on here. I tend to mod a car and then get the itch for a new one shortly after completing the project.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
I did that with my 996. The day I did the last mod (carbon fiber sunroof lining), I sold the car!
I told myself not to do that again.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
It is a slippery slope. I really get the urge to find a 997 GT2 or a 997 TTS but then I remember all the good things I like about my 08 997 TT - Mezger engine, EP2 exhaust, Dectane tail lights, GT3RS wheels (black), paid for, runs great, very, very clean...so I resist.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM
chudso will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't get a NA 997.2, but may possibly get a 997.2 turbo some time in the future. I agree there aren't enough differences between the .1 and .2 to justify an upgrade. I've only had my car for about 7 months though and dont plan on getting anything new anytime soon....
I recently added headers and cats and wow....it sounds amazing now, I was not at all impressed with the stock exhaust, so I added an aftermarket exhaust and it sounded better but still not exactly what I was looking for. Now with a full exhaust system it sounds like, what I think, a sports car should sound. I also tried to do all my mods as fast as I could, and only have a few left (intake/flash/head unit). I've always loved driving the car from the day I bought it, but it is much more enjoyable now that it sounds so good. I now undstand what I've heard on here about no longer using the radio.
Chris

Last edited by chudso; 04-30-2012 at 09:53 AM.