6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   What cars have you raced with your 997 and didn't expect to win? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/278074-what-cars-have-you-raced-your-997-didnt-expect-win.html)

crazycarlitos 06-12-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 3565969)
I guess it's just me but I street race any chance I get. It's fun stepping on the gas and destroying whoever is bothering me. I've taken a Cobra, Ferraris, street racers and many other Porsches. I won't race cars that obviously can't compete, but any serious takers and I'm in. Rarely do things get past 100 MPH (but I did get it up to 135 MPH on the highway on the way home rolling against an Audi). I have not launched my car on the road, however. I think when I get tired of street racing, it'll be time to sell my car.

turbo S PDK does the 0-60 in sub 3 sec.. i think u and the other driver already know the outcome.. hilarious

the pure acceleration must be intense and addicting, tho.

but seriously, an Audi ?? :rolleyes:

u should try the track.. so u can see what your car is really capable of.. as well as testing & improving your own driving skill.

Originally Posted by b2sc (Post 3566276)
Man, you guys all sound like old men... I understand and respect not racing on the street but who hasn't felt the need for speed on occassion??

I was on a road trip with my buddy somewhere in BFE when the 4 lane divided hwy surrounded by plowed farmland opened up w/o a car, human or animal in sight. He was in his BMW MCoupe and I in my 911S. From a coordinated rolling start, I never had less than a car length on him and the gap widened quickly as speed increased. He was quite suprised at the outcome.

we are old men.. hilarious
honestly i don't think i am that old at 44..

of course we all feel the need for speed. Not just on some occasion, but every time i sit in my 911 and start up the engine, i feel that need for speed. :D isn't that why we all have a Porsche in our garage ?

but the OP was talking about street kill stories(which he edited).. he was not refering to a friendly competition with a friend in a remote area or an enthusiastic & spirited drive thru the canyon with buddies.

btw i notice more BMWs weaving in and out of traffic at high speed. I have yet to see any 997 driving like an as$ in traffic.

this is how we do it ;) (7 am sunday morning) https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-marquee.html

thebland 06-12-2012 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by PSPorsche (Post 3564176)
Add me to the "pull over and let 'em pass" crowd.

"Porsche" isn't just the car, it's the sophistication and classiness of the the owners/drivers.

Every time I let a "nut case" pass, I'm the real winner!

Tell me this is a joke. Or you were raised by Ward and June Cleaver?

'Sophistication and Class'?? Really? Are you driving a 911 or a hearse?

What happened to speed and tearing it up at a light or at the track?hilarious

turbo S PDK does the 0-60 in sub 3 sec.. i think u and the other driver already know the outcome the pure acceleration must be intense and addicting, tho.

but seriously, an Audi ??

u should try the track.. so u can see what your car is really capable of.. as well as testing & improving your own driving skill.
It is extremely fast and that is part of the reason why I let her rip on the street. I've done track a couple track days and the Porsche Driving School)> I'm definitely a better driver but the speed is so intoxicating, it's hard to resist a Ferrari, Lambo or Bimmer at a light.

oadams 06-12-2012 04:24 PM

I am a newbie, as I have owned my 06 997S Convertible for 4 months (dream car since I was 16). I love going through the gears (stick) but rarely go over 85. I can't wait for the next track day in a couple of months, but, as an "old" 40 year old, I have no desire to run 100+ on a street against some yahoo.

When you run over a 100 on a public road, its not your mistake that can hurt people, its the unpredictable nature of other drivers and at that speed there is no adjustment time.

Equinox 06-12-2012 06:26 PM

I find my driving style suiting the car I'm in. I assumed that being 28, I just drive like an ass because I'm stupid. The nicer the car I've had over the years, however, seems to sate my driving style. Turbo four cylinder, I'm driving like the ricer you expect out of me, then 370z Nismo, and I slow down, but still rev at modified cars that stare. 400+ hp RX-7 v8, and I found I almost never got on it at all, but was still tooling around in the fast lane, passing on the right sometimes, and finally, in the Porsche, I just cruise control it everywhere in the slow lane. I drove a rent a car Chrysler 200c to work today, and I drove like the morons I hate. I'm very impressionable by the car I'm in it would seem.

SUB-ZERO 06-12-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 3566454)

It is extremely fast and that is part of the reason why I let her rip on the street. I've done track a couple track days and the Porsche Driving School)> I'm definitely a better driver but the speed is so intoxicating, it's hard to resist a Ferrari, Lambo or Bimmer at a light.

Lol! hilarious

Taxi! 06-12-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by oadams (Post 3566642)
I am a newbie, as I have owned my 06 997S Convertible for 4 months (dream car since I was 16). I love going through the gears (stick) but rarely go over 85. I can't wait for the next track day in a couple of months, but, as an "old" 40 year old, I have no desire to run 100+ on a street against some yahoo.

When you run over a 100 on a public road, its not your mistake that can hurt people, its the unpredictable nature of other drivers and at that speed there is no adjustment time.

I agree with almost everything you said, except "its (sic) not your mistake that can hurt people." I don't have any official race experience so I don't believe that I won't make a mistake under stress that could get me or someone else hurt.

We might be "old," like member thebland says, but I prefer to think of it as we have much more to lose by doing something stupid.

Katera 06-12-2012 08:13 PM

In Texas I get passed by Rednecks in the token pick-up truck all day long. As they come zooming by me I can feel the weight of their stare. I'm not a street racer but I do admit just once I would like to smoke one of those turkeys and send them back to hillbilly hell.

soccerTOOLsu 06-12-2012 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Equinox (Post 3566751)
I find my driving style suiting the car I'm in. I assumed that being 28, I just drive like an ass because I'm stupid. The nicer the car I've had over the years, however, seems to sate my driving style. Turbo four cylinder, I'm driving like the ricer you expect out of me, then 370z Nismo, and I slow down, but still rev at modified cars that stare. 400+ hp RX-7 v8, and I found I almost never got on it at all, but was still tooling around in the fast lane, passing on the right sometimes, and finally, in the Porsche, I just cruise control it everywhere in the slow lane. I drove a rent a car Chrysler 200c to work today, and I drove like the morons I hate. I'm very impressionable by the car I'm in it would seem.

Same here (except I'm 31 years old).

The nicer car I'm driving, the more sane my driving.

The cheaper the car is, the more insane/angry my driving style.

I'm an asian grandmother in my Targa 4s and catching air in a rental Sebring.

And the only people that ever want to race are Mustang Drivers.

oadams 06-12-2012 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Taxi! (Post 3566808)
I agree with almost everything you said, except "its (sic) not your mistake that can hurt people." I don't have any official race experience so I don't believe that I won't make a mistake under stress that could get me or someone else hurt.

We might be "old," like member thebland says, but I prefer to think of it as we have much more to lose by doing something stupid.

+1 to Taxi - I agree

Equinox 06-13-2012 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu (Post 3566857)
catching air in a rental Sebring.

Lol.

Manifold 06-13-2012 06:11 AM

I'm sure everyone here exceeds speed limits much of the time, and I'm not arguing against 'spirited' driving.

But how we drive has to be governed by an honest and perceptive assessment of situational risks. Younger people tend to lack that judgment (I know from personal experience), and racing especially pushes us to downplay risks and do stupid things: http://www.momentumporsche.com/red-mist.htm.

One of my rules for driving: "Don't be a dumbass."

cavsct94 06-13-2012 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by thebland (Post 3566454)

Finally!

crazycarlitos 06-13-2012 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by crazycarlitos (Post 3563698)

need a measuring stick ?

there is a nice event tmrw - june 9 (sat) for this if u live in southern california: but u 'd better bring ur A game ;) there will be some stiff competition:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...otics-etc.html

http://shift-s3ctor.com/category/shiftsectortrackdays/

BOL

a video of a 996 turbo vs gtr (both tuned) from the event

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ssan-gt-r.html

rocket911 06-14-2012 05:43 AM

I don't know, but for some reason I find myself driving much more aggressively when I'm in my tuned Beemer. Seems I'm willing to take on anyone [ except a Turbo S ofcourse]. When I 'm in my Porsche I just enjoy the amazing ride, speed and performance. My BMW might be quicker 0 to 60 by anose, but doesn't nearly come close at high speed throttle response or performance... Guess just knowing what we have tones us down!

Manifold 06-14-2012 06:20 AM

Any form of street racing looks juvenile after you spend some time at the track.