6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   What cars have you raced with your 997 and didn't expect to win? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/278074-what-cars-have-you-raced-your-997-didnt-expect-win.html)

RaidersR1 06-14-2012 07:09 AM

Interesting responses, but overall we all know street racing gets us in jail and the track is where it needs to be. I run hard on the freeway, especially getting on the freeway. Most of the time I get Mustang's pulling up next to me and they nail the throttle getting me to bite. I don't because it's pointless to prove anything to those car owners. Yes the GT's have a big V-8 and decent power, but only when the road is straight...then the true performance car would show.

For me it's the allure of the car, the fact you don't see that many around that gives me pleasure. How many people turn their heads when a mustang or rice burner goes by? Not many, but I get turning heads and drools when the PCar goes by...especially with the Gundo hack playing the beautiful sound of the flat 6!!

Ynot 06-14-2012 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by RaidersR1 (Post 3568093)
For me it's the allure of the car, the fact you don't see that many around that gives me pleasure. How many people turn their heads when a mustang or rice burner goes by? Not many, but I get turning heads and drools when the PCar goes by...especially with the Gundo hack playing the beautiful sound of the flat 6!!

You live in California, isn't Porsche a dime and dozen? I know in SoCal, they are very common, normal Porsche's don't get that much attention. Different story here in Colorado. You see Porsche's around but they are not common, definitely turn heads here.

RaidersR1 06-15-2012 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ynot (Post 3568787)
You live in California, isn't Porsche a dime and dozen? I know in SoCal, they are very common, normal Porsche's don't get that much attention. Different story here in Colorado. You see Porsche's around but they are not common, definitely turn heads here.

There are Porsche's here in Cali....no doubt. I live in a rural area...so not many where I live. If I go to SF or the Peninsula...I see them frequently.

Just tonight a guy pulls up next to me at the light and wants to hear the engine rev....I highly doubt Mustang's or rice burners get asked that!!

For the most part I would rather keep my ego in check and not worry about others. This way I have nothing to prove.

Renaissance.Man 06-15-2012 01:17 PM

I sometimes wonder what would happen between my modded CTT and a 997 on a rolling start... I had a fellow 997TT owner "challenge" me in person when talking. Of course, I had nothing to prove so I kind of ignored him and continued the convo. When he brought it up again and asked my HP numbers I told him around 620 hp / tq at the crank. He accused me of "cheating" and dropped the offer pretty quick :) Who knows though what would have happened under the right circumstances.

REK125 06-15-2012 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by RaidersR1 (Post 3568847)
There are Porsche's here in Cali....no doubt. I live in a rural area...so not many where I live. If I go to SF or the Peninsula...I see them frequently.

Just tonight a guy pulls up next to me at the light and wants to hear the engine rev....I highly doubt Mustang's or rice burners get asked that!!

For the most part I would rather keep my ego in check and not worry about others. This way I have nothing to prove.

That's where you are totally wrong. My GTR gets infinitely more attention than my 911. I get questions everywhere I go and people ask my permission all the time to take a picture of the car. Porsches are a dime a dozen compared to GTRs.

Gpjli 06-15-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by REK125 (Post 3569366)
That's where you are totally wrong. My GTR gets infinitely more attention than my 911. I get questions everywhere I go and people ask my permission all the time to take a picture of the car. Porsches are a dime a dozen compared to GTRs.

Whats with this "dime a dozen" thing? You a friend of Ynot? This thread started on a low note and you guys are taking it down the toilet. Enjoy the ride. Raider is proud of his car and has every right to feel that way. Unbelievable.

rocket911 06-16-2012 04:25 AM

You guys are missing one important thing! GTRs are UGLY!!! 911s are Not!!!

lacrosse 06-16-2012 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by rocket911 (Post 3569697)
You guys are missing one important thing! GTRs are UGLY!!! 911s are Not!!!

That will surely get Jasper to chime in. I sense this sliding down to another 911 v GTR debate.

Manifold 06-16-2012 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by lacrosse (Post 3569701)
That will surely get Jasper to chime in. I sense this sliding down to another 911 v GTR debate.

IMO, there isn't much to debate, since they're such different cars. The GT-R feels like a sedan from hell with a shrunken back seat. The 911 is a classic sports car.

REK125 06-16-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Manifold (Post 3569710)
IMO, there isn't much to debate, since they're such different cars. The GT-R feels like a sedan from hell with a shrunken back seat. The 911 is a classic sports car.

Most of you critics probably have never driven a GTR. Since I own both I will tell you Teutonic snobs that my GTR runs rings around my Porsche any day. And yes, I have tracked both.

gonz996 06-16-2012 02:03 PM

Eh, I hardly think comparing the performance of a GTR to a NA 997 is hardly a fair comparison. I think there are other Porsche's that would be better suited for that.

I happen to agree with many of those who don't like the GTR, but more for me it's more of a "look" than anything else. I agree with many who feel the GTR is plain ugly.

Regarding tracking, PLEASE, consider the lap times of Nordschleife - the GTR's best lap was 7:24:22, the Porsche GT2 (being a TT like the GTR) lapped it 7:18.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ars/Apples.jpg

I KID, I KID. :D

All this notwithstanding, there's always something faster out there.

REK125 06-16-2012 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by gonz996 (Post 3569958)
Eh, I hardly think comparing the performance of a GTR to a NA 997 is hardly a fair comparison. I think there are other Porsche's that would be better suited for that.

I happen to agree with many of those who don't like the GTR, but more for me it's more of a "look" than anything else. I agree with many who feel the GTR is plain ugly.

Regarding tracking, PLEASE, consider the lap times of Nordschleife - the GTR's best lap was 7:24:22, the Porsche GT2 (being a TT like the GTR) lapped it 7:18.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ars/Apples.jpg

I KID, I KID. :D

All this notwithstanding, there's always something faster out there.

So you are comparing a 200K car to one that costs 95K. For 50K I can modify a GTR that will easily beat the GT2's time. BTW, I was simply responed to the post that called the GTR a sedan. If you cannot appreciate a car that even Ferrari has admitted to envying, then you live in a very sheltered automotive environment.

gonz996 06-16-2012 02:22 PM

No, that's non sequitur given your own former comparison, you just don't like the answer or apples:apples (couldn't resist with the picture, eh, I mean "apples" LOL) comparison - boosted versus boosted - isn't the GTR supposed to be Nissan's top production performance car? I think so. I'm comparing performance and the power plant from the factory. Moreover, if you're comparing general costs of Nissan versus Porsche, at all levels the Porsche costs more.

I'm sure if you want to talk modding the Porsche can do the same. You should also know the Dodge Viper has a better track time at 7:12:13. So how much ($$$$) is the GTR compared to the Viper? Pretty much the same and NA, and better-looking to boot if you like Detroit models. :D

gonz996 06-16-2012 02:27 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention the Vette has a better track time as well - 7:19.

Manifold 06-16-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by REK125 (Post 3569962)
BTW, I was simply responed to the post that called the GTR a sedan. If you cannot appreciate a car that even Ferrari has admitted to envying, then you live in a very sheltered automotive environment.

I've driven the GT-R and I like it, though not as much as the 911. I called it a 'sedan' based on the large proportions of the car and the relatively high seating position, though obviously it doesn't have the four doors and real back seat of a sedan. 'Sedan from hell' was meant to be a compliment. And I don't find it ugly.