997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

strange interaction with Suncoast Parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
strange interaction with Suncoast Parts

So...it was time to change some filters. Went to the Suncoast website and chose:
Porsche--->
997 2005-2008--->
Carrera S--->
Engine--->
Maintenance--->

I added to my cart: an oil filter, a cabin filter, and an air filter. They arrived and upon unpacking, I noticed that the air filter was for a Boxster. Called Suncoast and they told me that while the return shipping was on me, they'd split the cost of shipping the correct filter to me "even though I ordered the wrong part". Given the structure of their internet part store, how is it possible to order the wrong part? Once you are in the section for your model/year all of the parts should be exclusively for your car.

Contrast this with Zappos. I accidentally ordered two pairs of sandals instead of one. I immediately called the 800 number to try to stop the order. They apologized for my problem (it was my mistake, but they apologized) and upgraded my status to VIP for life. All of my orders now receive free overnight delivery.

????

Old 07-13-2012, 01:05 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
So the Cabin & oil filter are for a 911 but the air filter was for a boxster? I doubt their the same part number.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Hmmm, possibly a misunderstanding? You should try to contact Ric or Eric @ Suncoast and see what they can do.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 808c2s
Hmmm, possibly a misunderstanding? You should try to contact Ric or Eric @ Suncoast and see what they can do.
Not a misunderstanding. I spoke with the Parts Manager and he is of the opinion that I ordered the wrong part. I thought that the system was foolproof - once you went down into your model/year, you were not given the option of anything but the applicable parts for your vehicle. Too bad, because their reluctance to pay return shipping due to a system error has turned me off to them.

I mentioned the Zappos example as one where it really was my fault and they still provided great customer service. And...I been singing the praises ever since. It's Business 101, but some people don't get it.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:57 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
what does your web generated invoice says? I got nothing but great things to say about suncoast...

Old 07-13-2012, 03:00 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
when u first ordered, was there an invoice breakdown? email confirmation ?

if it shows that u ordered the correct part (#99611013152), then suncoast should re-imburse for shipping it back, IMO.

if it shows 98711013300, then u somehow ordered the wrong part.. and 1/2 charge is not so bad..

BOL

Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
I understand your frustration and disappointment, but if you contact Ryan or Eric @ Suncoast you may be able to remedy the situation. They have bend over backwards at times to make things right.

Originally Posted by RickinColorado
Not a misunderstanding. I spoke with the Parts Manager and he is of the opinion that I ordered the wrong part. I thought that the system was foolproof - once you went down into your model/year, you were not given the option of anything but the applicable parts for your vehicle. Too bad, because their reluctance to pay return shipping due to a system error has turned me off to them.

I mentioned the Zappos example as one where it really was my fault and they still provided great customer service. And...I been singing the praises ever since. It's Business 101, but some people don't get it.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
This is a fault in their web site logic. Suncoast should make this right for you. It is 100% their fault. You can ask the parts manager to go through this sequence of steps, and he'll get the same result...

I added the Carrera (997) Factory Oil Filter Kit to my shopping cart from the Porsche, 997 2005-2008, Carrera S, Engine, Maintenance portion of their site as you outlined. At the bottom is a section titled, "Customers who purchased this product, also purchased:" In that section "Porsche Pollen Filter - Charcoal" is listed.

Naturally, since you've just added a *Carrera* oil filter to your cart, you'd expect this to be a *Carrera* cabin filter. It's not. If you click on it, on the NEXT page, you *might* see the small light grey text at the top that shows that you've actually selected a part from the *Boxter* portion of their web site: "Home > Porsche > Accessories > Boxster > Boxster (986) 1997-2004.5 > Engine > AC System > Porsche Pollen Filter - Charcoal"

To make matters worse, if you simply click the Add to Cart button, instead of clicking on the part, you get absolutely NO indication that you just added a Boxter item to your shopping cart.

Unless Suncoast expects us to believe that people who buy Carrera oil filters *consistently* buy Boxter cabin filters, they should accept full responsibility for this confusing behavior of their site. (I'm sure Porsche would love to be able to recommend you change your Boxter cabin filter each time you change your Carrera oil filter, but their marketing hasn't gotten that good yet!!!).

Old 07-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
when u first ordered, was there an invoice breakdown? email confirmation ?

if it shows that u ordered the correct part (#99611013152), then suncoast should re-imburse for shipping it back, IMO.

if it shows 98711013300, then u somehow ordered the wrong part.. and 1/2 charge is not so bad..

BOL
It does say 987******. Given their previously described system, how is it possible for me to order the wrong part? And...why jump to the conclusion that the breakdown was my fault? Finally, what does it matter, it's 2012, not 1972, and customer service is what differentiates companies from their competition. Hell, even in 1972 "the customer was always right". In any case, I've been a customer of theirs for years and I'm voting with my feet so that they can save $10.00.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
..then u somehow ordered the wrong part...

crazycarlitos,

I think he ordered the wrong part because the web site lists non-Carrera parts in the "customers also purchased" section. IMHO, I don't see this as RickinColorado's fault.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:59 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickinColorado
It does say 987******. Given their previously described system, how is it possible for me to order the wrong part? And...why jump to the conclusion that the breakdown was my fault? Finally, what does it matter, it's 2012, not 1972, and customer service is what differentiates companies from their competition. Hell, even in 1972 "the customer was always right". In any case, I've been a customer of theirs for years and I'm voting with my feet so that they can save $10.00.
calm down.

i am not jumping to any conclusion.

just saying you had a chance to review your order before finalizing it.

like 808c2s suggested (twice) - contact ric or eric directly to see if they can sort this out for u

Old 07-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
We reviewed the order, the website functioned properly and the wrong product was selected. The order confirmation reflected that too. You were very frustrated, and there were forum threats when we asked you to split reponsibility. That's our normal procedure for an incorrect purchase, we said we would exchange it and would pay to send the replacement. We don't have Zappos budget, we're wholesalers not retailers.

PS Porsche-> You mentioned the upsale thing, and that's a great point. But he told us that he didn't use the upsale thing, that he only shopped in the 997 category. I'll ask the group........should we ditch that automated upsale thing? Will folks add upsale things without reading a description? Most sites I've purchased from have these, and I never viewed it as a problem.

I'll ask for the forum members to be the judge and jury. You have both sides, you make the call! Suncoast Guilty? Vote now!

We're not making light of this situation, but we'd like the community feedback at this point. Have a great weekend folks, we will chat Monday.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by suncoastric
You were very frustrated, and there were forum threats when we asked you to split reponsibility.
First, I'm not sure why you've used the word "threat". If you reread my posts - especially the first one - they are perplexed rather than ranting. Second, I did not use the upsale feature; I used add-to-cart on all three items. That said, I am not in a position to vet the process flow of your internet sale system. I returned my whole order as a result. While you may not have a Zappos budget, your lost margin on the other two items most likely exceeds the cost of reimbursing shipping. You could have handled this very inexpensively and strengthened, rather than severed, our relationship. I am officially done with this topic.

Last edited by RickinColorado; 07-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:50 PM
suncoastric,

Since you asked, I like the "upsale" feature. I use it in two ways:
1. As a tool to make sure I am ordering the correct matching parts
2. To see if there are other items that I might also be interested in

I'm sure, for most retailers, # 2 is more important, but as a consumer, # 1 has priority for me. When I ran through the scenario above, I was surprised that a Boxter part was added to my shopping cart.

Overall, the "upsale" feature is good for both buyer and seller, but can be improved if you add text next to the item to indicate what model and year vehicle it applies to. As a short term solution, add a note in that section to indicate to the buyer that not all parts listed may be for his/her specific vehicle.

I also want to mention that Suncoast is a very, very highly regarded vendor in this forum. I've directed other members to your site many times, and I've seen others do the same. I hope Suncoast and RickinColorado resolve this in a fair and amicable way.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
This is a very interesting dilemma. On one hand if indeed the customer ordered the wrong part (albeit unintentionally) then splitting the shipping cost sounds somewhat fair. However if the website is not clear enough as to indicate the wrong vehicle, especially if other parts were ordered for the car in question, then its the responsibility of the company firstly to satisfy the customer and secondly fix the website. Either way, usually these conflicts spin out of control rather quickly, and as in this case, there seems to be no remedy. Maybe just a warning to future potential customers to double check their orders.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: strange interaction with Suncoast Parts