997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

3.8S - How to replace the alternator cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Replacement of the cable helps a little bit. However, for the starting issue when engine hot, replacing the starter is the key element! Starter can be had from O'Reilly for about $150. Replacing the starter is a lot easier than the cable (no need to crawl under the car).

I have always wondered how Porsche would not catch such a limitation (starting when engine hot) during their testing of the 997.1 prototypes. Or maybe, Bosch delivered a batch of really lousy parts at one point or another.

Yves
I can't speak on the 997 starters by you just reminded me of the Bosch units on the air-cooled Porsches. Basically, the starter would just 'cook' overtime from use and heat. From thereon, the car wouldn't start when hot

The lightweight aftermarket unit I bought from PelicanParts solved the issue almost forever.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Patent-guy is on a distinguished road
Any comments on the quality of the O'Reilly brand (Ultima) starter?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:01 PM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
Yea... don't buy one! Go on amazon, and for $40 more dollars, you can buy an OEM 100% NEW Bosch starter.

I buy stuff at oreilys for some of my companies trucks,etc, and their starter is made by one of their companies.

I asked the manager...how are they? he said.... "we get one back once in a while that goes bad after a while under warranty".

When your starter sits right on top of your engine, and its not friendly to drop off/out the powerplant.... worst thing to do imo, is skimp on an unknown brand.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 AM
devil boy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Patent-guy
I installed mine last May and it still works.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Patent-guy
The O'reilly is in fact a Bosch re-manufactured starter. It clearly has BOSCH engraved all over the places. The connectors are angled slightly differently, but it does not present any problems to connect the cables.

I changed mine over Christmas and it is still perking.

Yves

Old 04-03-2015, 10:16 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
When your starter sits right on top of your engine, and its not friendly to drop off/out the powerplant.... worst thing to do imo, is skimp on an unknown brand.
Lots of urban legends here......

And the starter can be removed without dropping the power plant.

Yves

Old 04-03-2015, 10:25 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Lots of urban legends here......

And the starter can be removed without dropping the power plant.

Yves
I think what Patrick meant was it is much much harder to remove/replace/check a Porsche starter "relative" to a truck's starter, a Toyota starter, a Porsche SC starter, etc.

Let's face it....we do have a lot to remove just to reach into the 997 starter.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM
IMEP is on a distinguished road
Thanks to you and Equinox for detailed write up. Could not have done it without your pix. My cable was smoked and I'm surprised it made it 9 years. This was not a trivial task. I understand why Porsche charges 1K for this. Took me the better pert of a day to change out this stinkin cable.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:07 PM
IMEP is on a distinguished road
Also wanted to mention that I tried using my wife's soft PJs for keeping the hood from closing. She put a Terry towel in there and pulled her pjs out. 17 years married and she's on to my tricks. It was a valiant effort though.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Imep,

Thanks for the kind words. I am happy that this write-up could be of some help to you. And sorry about your wife's reaction.....

Yves

Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 AM
NaijaBerry is on a distinguished road
OP, just wanted to thank you for this post which was just super! I had read it so many times before my cable came in that I just jumped right in.

Totally bust up cable

This is by no means an easy job especially for a big chap with big hands, I had to call on a smaller chap to crawl under the car and wiggle out the cable. A very good idea to tie a rope to the starter end of the cable and use it to guide the new cable back up.

I couldn't reach the long bolt to remove the compressor, but luckily the cable came off quite easy, well new cable in!

Instant difference in the way the car cranks up!

Again nice one OP!

Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Oldtarga is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m no mechanic but with help from you guys managed to replace this infamous cable myself on my 2007 911 4s with x51 power pack upgrade. All running well following a start stop trip today 😎👍

thanks for for your help.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 PM
ENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the rough
Anyone know the part number for this alternator cable? My stepfathers car's starter is on its way out along with this cable I am sure. It is getting very hard to start it on hot starts and the starter is making noise on startup. I ordered a new starter, figured I would do the cable at the same time. Just need the part # for updated cable

Old 09-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Matthew Yonan is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 09-13-2018, 08:30 PM
ENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the roughENVē is a jewel in the rough

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 3.8S - How to replace the alternator cable