997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

start car every month when winterized?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gonzo__007
man, it is stored only for a month an a half and I miss that fire up sound! lol

and what about oil change?
I will be driving around 5000-7000 miles per year. so one oil change a year. should I do it before storage or after storage?

bought the CPO car in end of sept. oil change was done. did about 3000 miles on it and the store it.
maybe I should do it when I take it out and do it before storing it. and then only do it once a year when I store it.

what do you think?

thanks
The engine is better off being put away with fresh oil/filter. The car can be used some to throughly mix the residual oil with the new oil.

Thus the amount of combustion byproducts in the engine oil is very low and as a result there is little acidity in the oil.

The biggest contributor to wear is acid in the oil. Over time this acid, the resulting corrosion weakens the bonds holding the metal grains together.

Upon engine start and run then the violence/force of the oil plucks these loose grains of metal away and this is wear.

Also, the corrosion can attack seals, gaskets which can lead to premature leaks.

Put the car away for the winter if you must but put the car away with fresh engine oil and oil filter.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM
timbit x is on a distinguished road
I put mine away once the trucks start salting the roads.

1) Fresh oil change (then again in spring to get rid of any built up corrosion)

2) Fuel stabilizer and fill tank

3) Over inflate tires to 50psi to prevent chance of flat spots (car sits on garage floor not on jacks).

4) Put a trickle charger on battery

5) Pray spring comes soon and dream/plan for mods and upgrades.

I don't start it until spring, all those short starts are doing is building unnecessary moisture causing more harm.

I know I got a C4, but I hate the salt here in Toronto and makes me enjoy every minute in the car in spring and summer. Salt in Montreal/Quebec I hear is even worse

Old 12-25-2012, 10:46 AM
gonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the rough
yup, it's so bad here. they even mix the salt with sand and rocks.
it's great for traction. but really bad for stone chip.