997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Costco Extended Warranty a.k.a. Costco Vehicle Repair Protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 PM
kvmentor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by daberlin
Hi all - Very useful thread! Great job OP in posting this question. It caused me to do a bit of research including calling Costco today for a quote. Very quick and easy quote process and no hard sell tactics at all.

Here was the weblink I used to do some research on my own:

http://www.costcoauto.com/vpp/about.aspx

1. Since I am California, I was re-directed on the phone to Costco/Affinity Auto Coverage when I called Costco's 1800 number. You are redirected if you live in Cali, KY, and MD. Otherwise your coverage will be with Century Warranty Services. They did ask for my Costco membership number in order to generate a quote.

2. I was told their coverage was an 'exclusive policy', meaning they list only the things that are NOT covered vice a laundry list of items that are. So, what I was told was not covered was the following:

a) routine maintenance items such as oil changes, brake pads and rotors.

b) accident damage that a car insurance policy would cover, glass, etc.

c) cosmetic items such as light bulbs.

We did discuss a series of 'what if's', and I must say I was impressed.

1. I asked about head/valve gasket failure, water pump failures, seals, window motors, electronic components, etc. I was told they were all FULLY covered including secondary damage to the engine (I gave the IMS as an example).

2. I was told wear and tear was also covered. Meaning, if the water pump shows signs of leaking or the reservoir shows signs of leaking, it is fully covered and does not require failure of the part for replacement.

3. I was told that the warranty is FULLY transferrable if the car was sold and can be transferred to someone who is not a costco member. Additionally, I was told the warranty is pro rated upon termination. So for example if the car was written off in an accident, you will get refunded the remaining portion of the warranty.

4. I was told that the coverage is to any repair shop of our choice, including Porsche dealers.

5. I was told the policy includes both roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

So here was my quote for my 2009 Carrera C2 (also with 10% down and 18 months 0% interest):

6 Year/60K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (26K)

$6,925 ($100 deductible)

$5,303 ($250 deductible)

$4,207 ($500 deductible)

3 Year/30K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (26K)

$4,573 ($100 deductible)

$3,585 ($250 deductible)

$2,918 ($500 deductible)

Just as a data point, I also asked for a quote on my 2010 Audi Q5:

6 Year/60K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (24K)

$3,348 ($100 deductible)

$2,740 ($250 deductible)

$2,285 ($500 deductible)

3 Year/30K FROM THE CURRENT ODOMETER READING (24K)

$1,756 ($100 deductible)

$1,546 ($250 deductible)

$1,389 ($500 deductible)

Summary

I have to admit I was very impressed with the policy coverage. If was in the market for an extended warranty right now, I'd probably get it. I'd of course do what others suggested and go shop this quote at the local Porsche Dealer before making a commitment. Regardless, I think a policy like this for 60K miles and the highest deductible seems like a very reasonable thing to have over a 6 year period of time for peace of mind coverage. Something I'm going to get once my CPO runs out in a few years. Gonna definitely go straight to these guys when I'm ready.
I posted the Fidelity and costco contracts in a post earlier for anyone who would like to check them out