6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Suggestions for drying car? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/304593-suggestions-drying-car.html)

aa909 04-11-2013 11:00 AM

buy a CR spotless system, wash using the two bucket method, a foam gun and high quality microfiber wash mitts.

after your final rinse just blot dry using several quality and thick microfiber towels, do not wipe because wiping introduces marring. any remaining small drops will dry without spotting because of the CR spotless system.

The less you touch the paint the better, the above process will keep the finish looking nearly perfect for years (assuming it starts perfect and hasn't already been swirled and marred)

good luck
Art

colombiano 04-11-2013 11:24 AM

Deionizer is on my bucket list for sure, hopefully sooner then later. 911 I find is smaller then it looks when washing it.

chuckbern 04-11-2013 12:21 PM

I keep to washing my car to a minimum. I also use the 3M glaze for any swirl fill-ins.

sixgun95 04-11-2013 12:43 PM

Gas works fine - no residue. The engine burns the residue, it doesnt blow it out. No cords!

gloves 04-12-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by sixgun95 (Post 3818693)
Gas works fine - no residue. The engine burns the residue, it doesnt blow it out. No cords!

Does your gas engine put off any exhaust?

Personally if I had a good gas one that I trusted I wouldn't bother to buy and electric one.

djantlive 04-12-2013 11:24 AM

anyone use a cordless electric blower? there are some selling for $30 on ebay. no rating but it's be great if they work for the car wash

sixgun95 04-12-2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by gloves (Post 3819254)

Personally if I had a good gas one that I trusted I wouldn't bother to buy and electric one.

Exactly! Gas is fine.

crazycarlitos 04-12-2013 05:23 PM

man, u guys keep this up, i might end up with a leaf blower.. hilarious

currently i use a waffle weave towel (never ever use bathroom towel)

the Pcar is so small, wiping it down takes no time and i actually enjoy it.

plus, i like to wipe down under the hood, all around the door jams, and even the engine compartment. :D

speedphreek 04-12-2013 06:07 PM

I use a synthetic chamois called the absorber and it is great at removing all water from flat surfaces when it's dry with that I use a cordless leaf blower to dry the crevices, I find that the leaf blower can sometimes kick up dust that will stick to a wet car so I dry as much as possible with the absorber. I dry my car in the garage so dust is a concern

windboat 04-12-2013 07:25 PM

I use a STIHL- BG86 gas blower, no exhaust, can totally dry car with two micro towels after blow down

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

MLindgren 04-17-2013 06:22 PM

Based on when I use my Stihl blower or Shindiawa Trimmer that my clothes smell from the 2 stroke oil that comes out the muffler there is particulates that come out. I also get carbon build up around my exhaust tips which for some reason leads me to believe particulates that do not burn are exhausted out through the exhaust system.

hot nikon 04-17-2013 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by keninirvine (Post 3816652)
Can anyone recommend the best electric leaf blower for this application?

This right here. Metal impeller. Less than $80 at Low Depot, no residue associated with standard air compressor, takes 5 minutes, touches nothing, gets the H2O out of the tight spots, might take a damp 3-M brand micro fiber to wipe any waterspots. I have a black Carrera S coupe, I know about water spots.

When you use a blower, try to avoid blowing any sand or grit from floor back onto the car. That's why I'll rinse concrete after the car, sand is the problem you want to avoid.

Zaino, then the Gloss Finish, works well.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1366245960

fastm3 04-17-2013 10:14 PM

Well, as I mentioned before, I ended up buying a few Cobra waffle weave microfiber towels. The other day after I washed my car, I put 2 of them to use. Let me tell you, these babies sure do suck....I mean in a good way. The 911 is a small car, and with 2 of these towels, using a two handed method, I dried the whole car in a few minutes. They feel real soft too, so I'm sure they won't scratch. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip guys!

DoninDEN 04-17-2013 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by speedphreek (Post 3819765)
I use a synthetic chamois called the absorber and it is great at removing all water from flat surfaces when it's dry with that I use a cordless leaf blower to dry the crevices, I find that the leaf blower can sometimes kick up dust that will stick to a wet car so I dry as much as possible with the absorber. I dry my car in the garage so dust is a concern

I use the Absorber too. Works well. I like the absorber, it's quick, super easy to keep clean and I've not seen it blemish the finish.

With all the leaf blowers and waffle weave microfiber users, I wonder if we are marring our finish. Might try a blower to see if its better, but by the time I pull one off the shelf, lay out the extension cord and start to use it, I'd be done with the Absorber.

Ynot 04-19-2013 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just brought one off of ebay for $25 shipped, get's great reviews on Amazon.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1366386475

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Decker...epn=5337259887