6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Suggestions for drying car? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/304593-suggestions-drying-car.html)

fastm3 04-06-2013 10:46 AM

Suggestions for drying car?

How do you dry your car, after washing it? Do you use a chamois, and if so, a natural or synthetic one? Which brand, and where do you suggest buying car care stuff from.

I've been using a P21 synthetic chamois, but the thing start disintegrating after a relatively short time, and leaves little pieces all over the car afterwards.

911Stud 04-06-2013 10:54 AM

No, chamois can become abrasive over time.

Waffle weave microfiber towel is the way to go. They are pricey for a drying towel, but they are phenomenal. Check it out!

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

By the way I am NOT affiliated in any way with Detailed Image, but I do buy all my products from them.

barncobob 04-06-2013 10:57 AM

I use my leaf blower to get the majority of H2O off, works great, blows the water out of cracks etc. then I dry with bathroom towel. Im not to sold on the micro wipe things, tried them, didn't like.

911Stud 04-06-2013 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by barncobob (Post 3814063)
I use my leaf blower to get the majority of H2O off, works great, blows the water out of cracks etc. then I dry with bathroom towel. Im not to sold on the micro wipe things, tried them, didn't like.

Haha, I use my leaf blower for the cracks and wheels as well. The trick about a microfiber towel is finding the right one. The cheap ones do a terrible job and leave streaks behind, some even disintegrate. A good microfiber towel will do wonders!

wc11 04-06-2013 12:37 PM

"How do you dry your car, after washing it? "
Drive really really fast!hilarious

Actually I use a car squeegie then a terry towel

RickinColorado 04-06-2013 12:46 PM

I use a squeegie for the big stuff, followed by a Master Blaster for the final product.

farfel 04-06-2013 12:57 PM

Drying

2 Attachment(s)
Dont need to dry when I rinse w my de-ioniser.
No water spots either w a Black car in the Sun.

Hella-Buggin' 04-06-2013 01:08 PM

I use microfiber towels and then go for a quick drive on the highway to blow the drips out of the nooks & crannies. Then I go home and wipe down with detailer.

keninirvine 04-06-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by farfel (Post 3814112)
Dont need to dry when I rinse w my de-ioniser.
No water spots either w a Black car in the Sun.

What kind of power washer is that? I like the hose reel on it!

I have the same de-ionizer and use a power washer to minimize water use. The de-ionizer helps a lot, but I'm not sure it is 100% free of spotting sometimes. I still find myself wiping off residual drops, especially on windows. I use older bath towells that are washed without much detergent and dried without fabric softeners. I think a good blower woiuld be very helpful, but haven't sprung for one yet. I think filtered air would help reduce the chance of blowing dirty air on the wet car.

spyerx 04-06-2013 01:40 PM

Compressed air, microfiber waffle towel.

If I had a black car I'd totally be using that de-ionized water setup.

MIkeGTS 04-06-2013 02:00 PM

Add Content

MIkeGTS 04-06-2013 02:01 PM

I drive 190mph- that does the trick!!

Austex911 04-06-2013 02:12 PM

I use the leaf blower and then the microfiber towel and then a final pass with detail spray wax.

cerbomark 04-06-2013 02:12 PM

squeegee for the heavy stuff then a micro towel using a little WAX WHILE YOU DRY spray while drying. It seems to dry with less wipes with the spray.

fastm3 04-06-2013 04:19 PM

Leaf blowers are too loud for me. The de-ionizer, while it would be ideal, is probably too expensive and too involved a solution. The squeegee I think would work best on a more angular car with more flat surfaces, not a curvy car like a 911. So at this point, I guess I'll try the waffle weave microfiber towel idea. I do have a lot of old cotton bath towels, but they're kind of heavy and cumbersome, and might scratch or deposit lint.

Thanks for all the ideas guys!