997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car just died at the red light??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM
ksp3c is on a distinguished road
Car just died at the red light??

This happened once on Monday and twice yetsterday.

As I was coming to a stop at the red light, I noticed my steering wheel losing power.

And when I looked at the gauge, all my notification lights were on and the engine was shut off.

I immediately restarted the car and all is back to normal.

No errors were given and the car operated as usual.

The only thing that I've done to the car recently was to add a quart of motor oil since the notification alerted that the oil level is low.

Any idea on what could be the issue? Could it be the battery?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Could be all sorts of things. But a starter cable would make sense. Battery is an option too but I doubt it.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
how many miles, what year, what model? i doubt it's battery. i've seen MAF do some weird things re: holding idle or could be bad sparks/coils to blame. if you dont have access to a durametric, go to a pep boys or somewhere where they will read your OBD codes for free - there might be something there. if not then you're prob looking at a trip to an indy to run more involved diagnostics.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 AM
It's an 09 c2s with 56,000 miles.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Seems way to new to be a starter cable. A dirty MAF could do it. But then again so could all sorts of other things. The weird part is that you dont have any consistent CELs. Could be a battery or alternator...

Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by gloves
Seems way to new to be a starter cable. A dirty MAF could do it. But then again so could all sorts of other things. The weird part is that you dont have any consistent CELs. Could be a battery or alternator...
Thanx for all the replies.

Is cleaning a dirty MAF an easy diy or do I need to take it in to a shop? Also, if it is a dirty MAF, will it throw CEL?

Last edited by ksp3c; 04-10-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gloves
Could be all sorts of things. But a starter cable would make sense. Battery is an option too but I doubt it.
How could it be a starter cable? Problem occurs when running not when starting.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Cause the starter cable is just for starting

My car had starting issues. But it would also almost randomly die at times at red lights. And when it got really bad it just stopped even when it was running.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
There is that battery cable fault with heat from the engine thing where they had to replace the cable/harness.
I don't think it was a recall as much as it was a bulletin.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ksp3c
Thanx for all the replies.

Is cleaning a dirty MAF an easy diy or do I need to take it in to a shop? Also, if it is a dirty MAF, will it throw CEL?
it's easy, do a search on cleaning it and/or removing air box to get to it.

i'm not saying it's def your issue but i've seen MAF do weird things: from horrible idle and misfires, to applying ABS/PSM despite the driver trying to accelerate down a track straight. weird things can happen when MAF not in a good mood.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Is it safe to spray the MAF cleaner while it's still attached?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Was your fuel pump replaced?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by ksp3c
Is it safe to spray the MAF cleaner while it's still attached?
probably but since it's electrical and technically you are getting it wet, i suggest unplugging batt anyway just to be safe.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Was your fuel pump replaced?
Not sure if it's the same thing but the high pressure pump(WB08) was replaced.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
[QUOTE=ksp3c;3818621]Not sure if it's the same thing but the high pressure pump(WB08) was replaced.[/QUOTETa Da - start here for your diagnostics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car just died at the red light??