997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Calling 997 Cab owners, any issues with roof compartment lid latch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Chinaski-NY is on a distinguished road
Calling 997 Cab owners, any issues with roof compartment lid latch?

Had some minor issues all sorted out since I bought the car in March, but tonight i finally figured out where than incredibly annoying metal clanking noise in back is coming from, the roof compartment latch. Only happens when the top is up, and has been intermittent but is more constant now. Of course when i had it at the dealer for a couple things recently it wasn't making a sound and I hadn't isolated the cause yet.

Basically on the latch there are two torx screws right and left with locking washers behind them. Neither one of these screws will tighten. They will just spin in place but they aren't lose to fall out. If I press on the right torx screw it triggers the metal clacking noise, press the left screw and nothing, or press the silver plate in the back and the same damn annoying noises. What's going on is as the car moves around it causes this latch to make a loud racket.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow now that i've isolated this but i'd really be interested to know if other 997 Cabs exhibit the same issue. If you get a chance please take a look at yours to see if it's solid or rattles when you press on it and post back. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9972cablatch.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	248815  
Old 06-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Phantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud of
yes i have exactly the same issue - i jammed a piece of foam in the cover and round the back of the latch and that seemd to cure it - but now roof is coming up and down a lot i have noticed its back.

I spoke to my dealer and they said that the cable tension would need to be adjusted - so I went for a look and this is not the case. in fact its the clasp rocking a little bit on the metal shaft as it bolts in place. I am going to try and fix mine as soon as i have some free time - but would appreciate anything else you find out.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Chinaski-NY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Phantome46
yes i have exactly the same issue - i jammed a piece of foam in the cover and round the back of the latch and that seemd to cure it - but now roof is coming up and down a lot i have noticed its back.

I spoke to my dealer and they said that the cable tension would need to be adjusted - so I went for a look and this is not the case. in fact its the clasp rocking a little bit on the metal shaft as it bolts in place. I am going to try and fix mine as soon as i have some free time - but would appreciate anything else you find out.
Phantome, hopefully I have some good news for both of us. Contacted my service adviser this morning and they were able to get me in to take a look at it before lunch. Those torx screws in the picture aren't meant to tighten as I thought, they're plastic with plastic nuts behind them and just keep the plastic cover on. The tech took off the plastic cover to inspect, then pulled up the rubber seal and then peeled back the carpet under the latch. There are two screws that fasten this latch mechanism to the car. The tech said they didn't seem loose, but he tightened them more and instantly the metal clacking went away! We both couldn't get the sound to come back pressing anywhere on it like before. I have half a day driving with it and NO more noises. It looks like one of those crazy things where something is a little loose and that's all it takes to generate an annoying noise. Take off your plastic cover, and check out those screws, see if tightening them will fix it for you as well.