997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Parking Dynamics Rear PDC fitting guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Phantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud ofPhantome46 has much to be proud of
Parking Dynamics Rear PDC fitting guide

After looking on several forums I have pulled together a fitment guide from my recent experience fitting the Parking Dynamics PD1 to my 997 Gen 2 cab.

Porsche 997 Gen 2 - Parking Dynamics Installation Guide

1 - Partially open the cabriolet hood until you can reach underneath the part below the rear window. From here unclip the 2 steel cables by gently pulling then towards the centre of the car.
2 - Next tilt rear window upwards towards the front of the car
3 - Remove the 2 plastic trim clips securing the carpet
4 - Gently free the carpet from the 2 fixed clips at each side of the hood (see Diagram)
5 - Now remove the carpet in the hood storage compartment completly
6 - With a trim removing tool - gently prise out the 2 plastic discs on the cross member above the rear seats. Now also remove the 2 pop up roll bar covers in the same manor.
7 - Remove the 3 phillips screws holding the cross member on. (one at each end and the one in the centre)
8 - Take off the panel and put to one side
Name:  DSC_0007.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  115.9 KB

9 - Open the deck lid and remove the rear lights on both sides. Remove 2 torx screws securing them in place.
Name:  DSC_0011.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  107.0 KB

10 - Remove the rear bumper - release the 4 torx screws under the deck lid, the 2 front under the centre of the bumper, 2 from each side of the bumper and then one on each side right up near the rear wheel (where the bumper and wing join) Lastly remove the 2 plastic screws inside the rear light recess in the upper corners.
Name:  DSC_0020.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  170.7 KB

11 - Remove the rear bumper remembering to release the number plat light connection as you remove the bumper.
12 - On the passenger side (LHS) of the car - inside the roof storage compartment is a large square shaped rubber grommit. This already has a wiring loom running through it but above that is a spare harness hole with nothing in it. Using the trim removal tool gently prise this rubber grommit out which gives you access to both sides.
Name:  DSC_0013.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  83.8 KB

13 - Using a sharp screwdrive pierce a hole through the spare grommit channel and make enough room to feed 2 wires through.
From the rear of the car you will see a smaller wiring harness running up to a grommit - gently pull this grommit out and you will now have access to the whole where the larger grommit fits.
Name:  DSC_0016.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  107.1 KB

Now fitting the PDC kit

14 - Feed the RF CABLE through from the inside of the grommit - so that the spade connector has passed through the grommit and can be fed through to the whole where the rear light wiring harness sits.
15 - Feed the red 12V + wire through the grommit in the same way so that you now have 2 connections behind where the rear light would sit.
16 - Refit the large rubber grommit and ensure it correctly pushed into place.
17 - Attach a ring connector to the black -ve wire of the PDC CONTROL UNIT. This can then be bolted down to the bolt shown in the picture using a 10mm socket
Name:  DSC_0019.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  128.1 KB

18 - Now route the BUZZER CABLE from the PDC CONTROL UNIT along one of the looms and up to the centre back of the rear seats (as shown)
Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  82.0 KB

19 - Attach the BUZZER and lay wire over the rear panel and allow to hang with a few cm of spare wire.
20 - Using some double sided tape secure the PDC CONTROL UNIT into place - I located mine in the corner of the hood storage compartment by the large rubber grommit (tucked under the large harness) See pics.
Name:  DSC_0019.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  128.1 KB

21 - Now reassemble the rear stoarge compartment in reverse to taking it apart.

Fitting the PARKING ANTTENA

22 - With the rear bumper removed - Clean the inside of the bumper with some solvent cleaner to remove dirt and grease
23 - Once dry fit the ANTENNA SENSOR tape as per instruction - I started about 15cm from the edges of the bumper and ran the tape all the way around using the same line as the premarked PDC sensors on the inside of the bumper.
Name:  DSC_0021.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  125.6 KB

24 - I then ran some duct tape over the top of the ANTENNA as protection.
25 - Next feed the RF CABLE through the rear grommit so it exits where all the other light wires do.
25 - Refit the rear bumper and remember to plug in the spade connection from the RF CABLE onto the ANTENNA SENSOR fitted to the inside of the bumper
26 - The last connection is the 12+ V connection which is made to the reversing lamp. Using a multi meter test for the right wire (mine was number 3 - Black wire with blue pinstripe) Once you have this wire - I followed it back up the loom to inside the rubber grommit and then made the connection inside there to avoid any water damage over time.
27 - Replace the rear grommit & Reassemble the car fully ready to test.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:36 AM
p556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud of
Any feedback on the system after a few years of use?

I'm considering one for my 996, but wondering if the bumper beam interferes with the signal in any way? Supposedly you can use some washers to keep the bumper bar from being grounded to prevent any issue with the system.