997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Took a Big Chance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Took a Big Chance

The local Ford dealer has a express lane for oil changes, tire balance and rotation, etc and offers Saturday service with no appointment. I've taken my Ford Focus there numerous occasions for service and they always do a great job.

So, I decided to take a chance and take my 2009 Porsche there for an oil change.

I went by the day before and talked to the service writer about doing the service and if they had any objections to me bringing my own oil and filter. They didn't, so this past Saturday there's a bright red Porsche sitting in line waiting for an oil change.

I told them about the specific procedure for draining (takes a long time to drain), and the refill procedures (takes a long time to properly refill). The service tech was cool about me "assisting", was very good at following my directions and got everything right the first time. He told me the most exotic car he ever worked on before the Porsche was a used Jaguar that the dealer had on a trade-in. Several of the other service techs working on other cars came over and looked around the Porsche while it was on the lift, asked a bunch of questions and commented on the uniqueness of Porsches, how fast had I had it, wishes of owning one some day, etc.

It took a while for the new oil to warm up so we could check the level on the digital dipstick, but it finally cooperated and we added about half a quart after the initial fill, which brought it up to the full mark.

They charged me $11.50 for the service.

When I got home I checked the level one more time and it required another half a quart to bring it up to full. No leaks, warning lights, oil spots, dirty fingerprints found.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:32 AM
SFZGT3 is infamous around these parts
Lucky you! Seriously, that is a great report and illustrates that it ain't "rocket science"!

Of course, it's nothing your local dealer couldn't do for 10 time (or more) the cost!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 AM
CHAOS236 is infamous around these partsCHAOS236 is infamous around these parts
$11.50 Did you tip them?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CHAOS236
$11.50 Did you tip them?
No kidding. I hope you dropped a $20 in his palm on the way out. Our better yet, doughnuts for the shop.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:40 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
No kidding. I hope you dropped a $20 in his palm on the way out. Our better yet, doughnuts for the shop.
I offered the guy who did the work a tip. I think I embarrassed him (very nice Hispanic guy) and he said it wasn't necessary. In hindsight the doughnuts would have been a great idea. Definitely the next time.