997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question: 997 Roadtrip from DFW to Seattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 PM
rightfootdown is on a distinguished road
I drove from the Bay Area to DFW in October in my 70 Camaro, got my broken windshield and dents from outside of Amarillo haha. Speed traps are everywhere imo. Go up one way and go back the other? i would if i had the time. Sweet road trip, enjoy.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 AM
soccerTOOLsu is on a distinguished road
You will have to get some chains for the mountain passes in WA. They are required and you could get a ticket for not having them.

See if you can stop in Leavenworth, Washington for lunch.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 AM
neos281 has a spectacular aura aboutneos281 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gonz996
Option 1 for sure and absolutely stunning, and as another posted take a spare and a jack. Option 2 can be tricky and bad weather can happen on the grapevine as well, not to mention California traffic is the pits and ruin that part of the trip.
Yeah, option 2 is no longer an option with the winter storm that is sure to hit. I was actually looking forward to the epic journey.

Originally Posted by rightfootdown
I drove from the Bay Area to DFW in October in my 70 Camaro, got my broken windshield and dents from outside of Amarillo haha. Speed traps are everywhere imo. Go up one way and go back the other? i would if i had the time. Sweet road trip, enjoy.
Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to embark on the journey.

Originally Posted by soccerTOOLsu
You will have to get some chains for the mountain passes in WA. They are required and you could get a ticket for not having them.

See if you can stop in Leavenworth, Washington for lunch.
Yeah, I am not taking route 1 at all now. Planning on a 14 hour leg to Flagstaff, AZ on the first day and then will probably split the remaining 22 hours between the following 2 days going up the West Coast.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
if u r doing option 2, i would suggest going up PCH rather than i-5 in Cali., unless u don't have the time.

As others stated, i-5 sucks

Old 12-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by neos281
Hi All,

I am thinking of driving my 911 from DFW to Seattle and am in need of some driving tips on getting there. My vehicle is currently at the dealership getting the annual maintenance and tires replaced in order to make sure I'm prepared. Has anyone driven this route and if so, do you have any suggestions on what I should be prepared for? If you have any additional tips for someone who hasn't driven farther than 400 miles, I would be very grateful.
The route over to LA and then up the coast is best for avoiding some issues.. If you drive over the Rockies and Cascades - you will have to deal with several mountain passes where the pass may be closed due to heavy snowfall. EG I-90 at Snoqualmie Pass in Washington, etc.

But you forgot one option.. the one I took in my VW Golf in 2004 when I drove from Baton Rouge, LA to Seattle, WA.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...,2,3,4&t=m&z=5

Via I-25 N, US-26 W/US-287 N, US-191 N/US-20 W/US-287 N/US-89 N/Grand Loop Rd, I-90 W

It was a great drive.

Dallas to Colorado Springs in one day. Spend some time at Pikes Peak - hell drive it up there!

Colorado Springs to Duboise, WY one day.

One day just to do Duboise, WY to Belgrade, MT - Through the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone National Parks. (not sure what the road openings are now in this season as I did the journey in July) Visit the parks - see the sites.

Final day: Belgrade, WA to Seattle, WA - the drive down from the high plateau down to sea level seems endless after that long drive on the upslope from Dallas.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dwod.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	307950  

Last edited by Minok; 12-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM
TTG
TTG is on a distinguished road
I would do option #1 if you were traveling during the summer

With the recent snow that we are getting, you are not making it over the passes in your car..... Period!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Safe travels as you embark on your road trip tomorrow, and keep us posted with updates

Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks

Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
if u r doing option 2, i would suggest going up PCH rather than i-5 in Cali., unless u don't have the time.

As others stated, i-5 sucks

Originally Posted by Minok
But you forgot one option.. the one I took in my VW Golf in 2004 when I drove from Baton Rouge, LA to Seattle, WA.
Originally Posted by TTG
I would do option #1 if you were traveling during the summer

With the recent snow that we are getting, you are not making it over the passes in your car..... Period!

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Porsche
Safe travels as you embark on your road trip tomorrow, and keep us posted with updates
Thanks All!

With the winter storm coming into Texas and the half-hearted desire to drive cross country during this time of year, I decided earlier this week to have the car shipped (shipped yesterday evening) and to fly out to Seattle tomorrow afternoon.

I appreciate everyones suggested routes and driving tips. I am definitely going to refer back to this thread in the spring/summer for some reverse driving routes.

Thanks again!
Jarred

Old 12-06-2013, 09:09 AM
JustinCase is on a distinguished road
It's (relatively) really cold here in the Seattle area -- 18 degrees this morning. Not too many ice patches, but the sun is supposed to be out for the next several days. (Lack of our normal cloud cover explains the unusually cold temperatures.)

Summer tires can get a little greasy with these temps, but manageable until we start getting daily precipitation again.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by JustinCase
It's (relatively) really cold here in the Seattle area -- 18 degrees this morning. Not too many ice patches, but the sun is supposed to be out for the next several days. (Lack of our normal cloud cover explains the unusually cold temperatures.)

Summer tires can get a little greasy with these temps, but manageable until we start getting daily precipitation again.
Nice to know and thanks for the tip! Park Place put some new shoes on the 911 last week (pirelli summer 19/235's and 19/295's). Since I will be living downtown, I plan to purchase a bike and walk as much as possible.

Hopefully I can make due with the alternatives without having to purchase a winter wheel/tire combo.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:38 PM
DasVWBabe is on a distinguished road
I would love to do that drive. If it were round trip, I'd take both routes.

Need another Guards Red 997 tagging along out of DFW?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Volnomad is on a distinguished road
I have followed this post with interest because my wife and I are flying to Seattle next Friday to pick up a car. We had planned to drive it back to the east coast. Sort of a bucket-list road trip type thing. Now, I am having second thoughts about the weather. Doh!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 PM
rvc
rvc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Volnomad
I have followed this post with interest because my wife and I are flying to Seattle next Friday to pick up a car. We had planned to drive it back to the east coast. Sort of a bucket-list road trip type thing. Now, I am having second thoughts about the weather. Doh!
. Its winter. Remember? Ship your car. Duh

Old 12-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Volnomad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rvc
. Its winter. Remember? Ship your car. Duh
Of course, it makes sense to ship it. But, nothing about this trip was about making sense, except maybe buying another Porsche. So, it's not really a "duh." The recent storm probably kills the idea, but it would have been a great road trip, December or not, in an AWD 911.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by DasVWBabe
I would love to do that drive. If it were round trip, I'd take both routes.

Need another Guards Red 997 tagging along out of DFW?
The road trip would've been more ideal a week prior to Dec 6th. Weather in DFW and for most of the West was decent then. Good timing on my part with the late Fall cold front coming.

Next time for sure!

Originally Posted by Volnomad
Yeah, we just waited too late bud. Who knows..we are still in Fall and weather is supposed to gradually warmup (slightly) for the West/Midwestern states. I can't say the same for the East Coast though but it doesn't mean that the drive can't be done.

BTW, congrats on your recent Seattle acquisition. I hope she is everything you are expecting and more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question: 997 Roadtrip from DFW to Seattle