6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   Need help on X51 Airbox Installation (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/324439-need-help-x51-airbox-installation.html)

Romysc4s 12-10-2013 10:56 AM

Need help on X51 Airbox Installation

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to score a used X51 Airbox. I've searched and read so many threads both here and on RL on the installation and benefits (or non-benefit) of it. I understand there is hardly no power gain from it but I just love the way it looks.

I understand I need to cut a hole on the decklid for the right air inlet and there is template for it. I'm reaching out to anyone who have done it before and by chance might have saved the template. Anyone kind enough to share a copy is greatly appreciated. ;)

I also understand that the MAF harness needs to be extended. The kit that I'm buying wold come with the extension harness but I'm a little fuzzy about how to splice it into the existing harness. Any DIY on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

JoelPirela 12-10-2013 11:12 AM

If you provide me with your email, I will send you my PDF from Porsche that includes the installation guide and has the template for the opening.
I didn't extend the MAF cable or replace the oil filler....

White Rock 12-10-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by JoelPirela (Post 3999015)
If you provide me with your email, I will send you my PDF from Porsche that includes the installation guide and has the template for the opening.

Joel,

I was about to shoot him the link to your thread.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rade-done.html

Romysc4s 12-10-2013 11:18 AM

Joel,

Thanks. PM'd you my email.

---Romy

Romysc4s 12-10-2013 11:57 AM

That makes it much easier. I know replacing the oil filler neck is a major PITA. Cutting a hole on the decklid sounds scary but from what I've read, it's not a big deal. I'll leave this with someone who's got more experience that I am. hilarious

Any issues with CEL?

White Rock 12-10-2013 12:11 PM

As an FYI

I think I was charged a half hour of labor to get mine installed.

White Rock 12-10-2013 12:12 PM

eBay

Also I saw a used airbox on eBay a few days ago. BTW, that is the 1st used x-51 box I've ever seen.

Gpjli 12-10-2013 12:44 PM

Btw, do a search. I recall a thread a while back to the effect that the mas/ecu set up after this mod resulted in lean engine condition. I'm sure guys that have done this are aware of the situation and the fix and can speak to this but consider this a heads up.

Romysc4s 12-10-2013 03:25 PM

Gpjli, I believe you're referring to this link below. Quite honestly, I think It's a a little over my head so I need to digest it a little bit. :confused: Maybe Joel and WhiteRock can chime in from their experience.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ter-dynos.html

Romysc4s 12-10-2013 04:55 PM

My car is pure stock. What I've gathered from the above thread is I would need an ecu tune to take care of the lean issue. Uhm now I'm a little gun shy about this mod. :confused:

///MJFDDS 12-11-2013 03:05 PM

I have had mine in for 4 years with not one single issue. No ECU tune. Easy installation and I cut the hole in my decklid with a dremel.

Romysc4s 12-11-2013 03:47 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS (Post 4000052)
I have had mine in for 4 years with not one single issue. No ECU tune. Easy installation and I cut the hole in my decklid with a dremel.

Gpjli 12-11-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Romysc4s (Post 3999273)
My car is pure stock. What I've gathered from the above thread is I would need an ecu tune to take care of the lean issue. Uhm now I'm a little gun shy about this mod. :confused:

As well you should be. Re "vote of confidence": people can always be counted on to put their mouth where their money is. Maybe no apparent problem but the new box may be making less hp in this application and lean is not good for these motors. I really don't know what to tell you. Apparently no one else paid any attention to the one guy that dyno'ed this mod. I personally stopped at "cut a hole where?" It is pretty and maybe the issue can be addressed by having a custom remap. There are easier ways to get a few more hp and move the torque curve down. Search IPD plenums and 200 cell cats while you are lusting after motor bay bling

White Rock 12-12-2013 05:39 PM

I kept the same MAF sensor, but had softtonic create a custom x-51 tune to compensate for the additional airflow for the airbox, gt3 throttle body and plenum. Ran the car on the stock file, then on the regular Softronic, then the Softronic x-51 tune. There is a huge difference between the stock file and the x-51 tune. Think of the difference between regular and sport mode, mine would be sport x3, If that makes sense. Softronic said that the air baffle (probably the wrong term) is constantly open like the Gt cars, instead of open and closing. My car is well matched with the 997.1 gt3's on DE days.

Gpjli 12-12-2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by White Rock (Post 4000965)
I kept the same MAF sensor, but had softtonic create a custom x-51 tune to compensate for the additional airflow for the airbox, gt3 throttle body and plenum. Ran the car on the stock file, then on the regular Softronic, then the Softronic x-51 tune. There is a huge difference between the stock file and the x-51 tune. Think of the difference between regular and sport mode, mine would be sport x3, If that makes sense. Softronic said that the air baffle (probably the wrong term) is constantly open like the Gt cars, instead of open and closing. My car is well matched with the 997.1 gt3's on DE days.

I do know what you mean but actually sport mode just changes throttle tip-in and makes car feel faster, doesn't change air/fuel parameters or timing. I'm using revo tune at level 2 w stock air box, ipd racing plenum, gt3 throttle body full awe exhaust. Custom tune/dyno is way to go if the tech knows what he is doing. Have fun.