997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Painted or Unpainted Lip Spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Romysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud of
Painted or Unpainted Lip Spoiler

I'm about to install a GT3Tek front lip spoiler and now having to decide whether to install it unpainted or painted the same color as the car. Pictures below show both painted and unpainted versions. The painted one is my friend's car and the unpainted is mine. Note installation is not yet complete on mine. Just propped it up on the car to see how it looks like.

What do guys think?

Last edited by Romysc4s; 07-09-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Buddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura aboutBuddhamonk has a spectacular aura about
stock height - painted
lowered - unpainted

Old 07-10-2014, 02:36 AM
mccarthy_sean will become famous soon enough
I personally like the look of the painted lip, but I currently have an unpainted one because my car scrapes slightly on my driveway entrance if I don't hit it quite right (I have the factory aerokit on my car and it is stock height).

Is your lip made of the flexible black urethane? That's what mine is and I always wondered how well the paint would stick to it. If you can find a body shop that can match your paint perfectly and doesn't charge an arm and a leg, I say go with the painted lip.

Sean

Old 07-10-2014, 06:52 AM
juank20 will become famous soon enoughjuank20 will become famous soon enough
painited for sure.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I like the painted look

Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 AM
MarcoRemius is on a distinguished road
Painted... until it gets scratched.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
If it's any other color besides black, I would paint it. That piece is low and will get scratch a lot that's why I haven't paint mine.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
my turbo is lowered and ive had the lip re-painted 3 times due to scraping etc, if my car was black i might leave it unpainted, if it wasnt lowered i would paint it

Old 07-10-2014, 10:54 AM
sleek-sam will become famous soon enough
I vote for painted also.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
my car is white, and I can't possibly imagine having a painted lip. Every once in a while I smooth out scratches and gouges on mine with some fine sand paper. Thank goodness it's not painted.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:04 PM
This thread got me thinking. Did any 997s leave the factory with unpainted front lips (either standard or aerokit)? Are the factory original lips made of flexible urethane or are they hard plastic? Thanks in advance.

Sean

Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Phil_D will become famous soon enoughPhil_D will become famous soon enough
Mine is painted, but it scrapes everywhere. When I replace I will just put a black one there.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by mccarthy_sean
This thread got me thinking. Did any 997s leave the factory with unpainted front lips (either standard or aerokit)?
I beliebve the GT3 had unpainted and Aerokit cars had painted. Not 100% on that, but that's the way it seems. I understand the factory bumper covers are some type of high pressure injection molded polyurethane.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Phil_D
I understand the factory bumper covers are some type of high pressure injection molded polyurethane.
I have a spare aftermarket front lip (for my aerokit car) that is made of black urethane. When it was shipped, it was folded in thirds. It is extremely flexible which makes me wonder how paint would even stick to it. Do the factory lips flex this much? When I bought my car the original front lip had already been replaced.

Sean

Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by mccarthy_sean
I have a spare aftermarket front lip (for my aerokit car) that is made of black urethane. When it was shipped, it was folded in thirds. It is extremely flexible which makes me wonder how paint would even stick to it. Do the factory lips flex this much?
I have an aftermarket one also made of polyurethane, feels very similar to the factory one. Never tried folding it though. My aftermarket and factory one came in boxes unfolded.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted or Unpainted Lip Spoiler