997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stone chip repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 PM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Stone chip repair

Just wanted to say I repaired a stone chip on my 997 the other day and couldn't be happier with the result so thought I'd share the process.

I didn't take any photos but believe me the chip is almost invisible now.

What you need -

Porsche factory touch up paint
Quality artists brush smallest you can find
Medium cut polishing compound
Low cut polishing compound
Microfibre cloth

Make sure the chip area is clean, shake the touch up paint well, pull out the cap brush, then dab a small amount of paint onto the artists brush, slowly dab the chip until it is covered completely in paint don't worry if you go around the chip and it looks worse just make sure the chip is painted in well.

Then let dry and set for a few hours.

Take the microfiber cloth and using the medium compound rub in circular motions over the chip using firm pressure, keep adding a small amount of medium compound every 10-15 seconds as it dries, do this for about a minute, then adding more compound every 10-15 seconds and still using firm pressure change from circular motions to back and forth in straight lines over the chip for another minute, you should see the touch up you made earlier flatten and become almost invisible.

Then using the low cut compound or polishing compound buff the area you just worked on for a final finish.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Thanks for sharing with us. I will definitely try your technique. Rep points for you.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:56 PM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Fyi I had great results using Menzerna IP2000 as a medium compound and Menzerna SF4000 for the finishing compound.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Perfect. I have both at home

Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
To the OP:

What do you mean by: "... circular motions over the chip..."? The chip is at most a few mm in diameter. Do you mean a rotation centered over the chip? Were you using a pencil or such thing to do that?