997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does your car have these cables in the frunk? What are they for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 02:07 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Does your car have these cables in the frunk? What are they for?

Does anyone know what these two wires or cables are for?

They are at the front right corner of my car, visible when you remove the plastic trim along the edges of the "frunk".

Does anyone else have these wires/cables?
#1 (the thinner one in the picture) *may be* for my K40 radar diffuser???
Is #2 also for the K40, or is it for something else?

(To help orient you, this picture was taken inside the frunk, on the passenger side, with the plastic trim strips removed. The front right headlight and washer are visible at the top of the picture. The front of the car is to the left.)

Inside Frunk, Front Corner, Passenger Side

Old 12-04-2015, 11:37 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Nobody? I ll guess one is a drain hose. Curious.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:35 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Headlamp washer?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:39 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by White Rock
Headlamp washer?
I don t think so because on the drivers side I know that it is up in the fender liner and not inside trunk area.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:43 PM
although after looking again at the pic it does not appear to be in or thru the trunk... but still, on the drivers side it goes higher than the pic and directly to the spray fitting.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:54 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your responses and ideas.

I think I've solved this mystery...

These are wires are not hoses, and they are indeed for my K-40.

After the wires disappear along the right fender (picture in original post), they reappear, popping out of an existing hole at the passenger side strut tower, and continue to the battery. I verified that these are the same wires by gently pulling on each at the strut tower and confirming that the wires from the 1st picture do move.

So I think they are a part of the K-40 that was already installed when I purchased the car. I looked up the K-40 wiring diagram, and there are two parts: a "receiver module" and a "diffuser". The receiver module should be installed inside my front bumper, and the thicker wire probably runs to that. The radar diffuser is mounted underneath the bumper, in the "air scoop" area, and the thinner wire probably runs to that.

IMHO, this looks like a "sloppy" install... the wires are just dangling around and aren't even mounted or zip-tied anywhere to keep them from rattling, or breaking, due to road vibrations.

Here is a picture of the strut tower and the battery with the wires. I highlighted the wires in red and green so they are easier to track in the picture.