997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Charging the battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 AM
Jonhunt is on a distinguished road
Charging the battery

Is it necessary to remove the battery before charging? The owner's manual says to remove it, but I've never had to do that with any other car. The car wouldn't start yesterday, but there is some power and I wanted to put a trickle charge on it. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:29 AM
cbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud ofcbst09 has much to be proud of
No battery removal needed. Just connect directly to the terminals or use the cigarette lighter adapter if you have one to trickle charge overnight.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Jonhunt is on a distinguished road
Thanks...I couldn't believe it was necessary.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I think there is a difference between 'charging' a depleted battery and regular maintainance. The caution to remove when charging most likely applies to the former where there is the concern that a tired battery might crack or explode. A gentle trickle on a modern maintainer is not a concern. I leave mine on regularly via the cigarette lighter connection.

Last edited by Gpjli; 01-08-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:12 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
if it wouldn't start, I wouldn't fool around with it. Just replace it. Battery died on wife's '08 a few weeks back and took forever to jump it off.
They don't die in front of Auto zone or the comfort of your garage on a warm day.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:21 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
If the battery's depleted, replace it. It'll never be the same.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:22 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Took my car to the dealer as it started cranking slowly, the first sign to be that the battery is dying. Carefully reading the CPO warranty exclusions, it certainly seems to me that batteries are actually covered. They tell me that the battery was "low" and they charged it. I think to myself, this is a huge joke and I'm going to face a dead battery soon. I've never heard of a"low " battery, especially after driving it somewhere. Next, they are going to try some crap about not covering it if the car isn't driven. And I actually drive it twice a week! Don't know if anyone else has ever "charged" a battery, unless we talk about a trickle charge.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 PM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
I try to keep the battery topped up with my CTEK automatic charger. I use the cigarette plug inside, and bought an extension cable from CTEK so that if the cable eventually kinks from being closed in the door seal I can replace just the extension part which is inexpensive. In my experience once a battery has been run down significantly, it is never the same again. It can be charged up and will work for awhile but it's best to start planning a replacement. Full disclosure, this is not my experience with my 911, but on numerous other vehicles over the years, and this battery, while a unique spec, is still a battery.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:23 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
2 months ago oem battery in wife's 6 yo Subie gave up, wouldn't turn car over. Short trips, she had left warning lights on etc. Put it on Ctek, 'deep charge' No problems yet. Strong starts in cold weather. Charging a battery that is depleted is valid and may get you significant use out of it. Letting a battery run down and then replacing it w/o servicing it seems wasteful to me. The type of usage car sees plays a big role here. A station car or a weekend driver will not keep battery charged. SOP in my book.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:14 AM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
Everyone's experience & circumstances are different. In my case my most recent "flat" battery was in my wife's vehicle. Yes I recharged it but I travel a fair bit for work and she makes lots of short trips driving kids to school and activities. The risk of having her stranded and having to deal with a tow truck & boost is not worth the price of a battery to me. If I'm gone for 4 days and she has trouble I'd much rather shell out for a battery than take that phone call...

Old 03-06-2016, 09:18 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ryem3
Took my car to the dealer as it started cranking slowly, the first sign to be that the battery is dying. Carefully reading the CPO warranty exclusions, it certainly seems to me that batteries are actually covered. They tell me that the battery was "low" and they charged it. I think to myself, this is a huge joke and I'm going to face a dead battery soon. I've never heard of a"low " battery, especially after driving it somewhere. Next, they are going to try some crap about not covering it if the car isn't driven. And I actually drive it twice a week! Don't know if anyone else has ever "charged" a battery, unless we talk about a trickle charge.
You can certainly have a low battery after driving if you are having trouble with the alternator not charging the battery. Then the car is using the battery to spark the plugs and run all the electronics in the car and not recharge it or maintain it.

I am replacing my cable and starter soon as it's slow starting on hot restart. Maybe you are beginning the same issue.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:30 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
I have charged many of batteries over a life time when the necessity arises??? I don't understand depending on the circumstance, why one would not,unless one likes throwing money away?

Old 03-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by MYC2SPC
I have charged many of batteries over a life time when the necessity arises??? I don't understand depending on the circumstance, why one would not,unless one likes throwing money away?
That was my point. Occasional charge if necessary is part of normal maintainance.

Q: Do you ever need to charge a battery? Ans: Yep.

Or use a trickle charger.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:13 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Gpjli...That was my point. Occasional charge if necessary is part of normal maintainance.

Sorry, my response was directed to porschelady post?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the responses. Over more than 20 years I've never charged a battery other than by the car's own alternator. Now that the dealer has charged it, I'll be very curious to see how long this 5 year old battery will last. They claimed it only needed to be charged and not replaced, although it's pretty clear the CPO warranty will cover it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Charging the battery