997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 to 997.2 steering wheel upgrade without changing the round airbag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 AM
saitat is an unknown quantity at this point
997.1 to 997.2 steering wheel upgrade without changing the round airbag

Hi Everyone, I would like to upgrade my 2005 997 C2S (AT) steering wheel to 997.2 PDK version.

Below is my steering wheel.

As I know I need to purchase the steering wheel and steering wheel module after viewing a lot of useful information from this forum.

For what I don't know is, do I need to change the airbag as well? As my current one is round airbag?

Old 06-12-2016, 06:30 PM
monster1 is on a distinguished road
yes you need to change your airbag for the later one, the design is completely different.

Its also unfortunately the most expensive part of the upgrade!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:34 PM
qikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud ofqikqbn has much to be proud of
Yes, unfortunately you do need to change the airbag as well. There is no way physically possible for the old air bag to fit into the 997.2 circular airbag slot.

just curious, which 997.2 steering wheel were you interested in. The sport one with paddles behind the wheel or the regular pdk steering wheel with thumb buttons to shift on the wheel?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:14 PM
I am looking for with paddle shifters that wheel, is it fit? Or I need to buy additional part?

And I need to reprogram somthing after installing a new module?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Finally I've installed the 997.2 steering wheel to my 997.1 successfully...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone interested in buying an excellent condition used wheel with 5800 miles on it with airbag included?

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:42 PM
GCB
GCB is on a distinguished road
How much

Old 07-30-2016, 10:08 PM
stealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond reputestealth.pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GCB
How much
Looking at prices online the wheel seems to go for $750 used and the airbag for $599. I would take $1250 for both shipped.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Derek Zoolander is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Looking at prices online the wheel seems to go for $750 used and the airbag for $599. I would take $1250 for both shipped.
I'll take it - please PM me

Last edited by Derek Zoolander; 06-23-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 AM
For Sale:
1) Used steering wheel with new red alcantara
2) Used airbag
3) New module

Total $2000

Old 06-18-2017, 02:05 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
that red alacantera looks great.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:34 AM
nur20142 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering wheel upgrade

Hi Guys

Need some help. I have a 997.2 with a multi function steering and wanting to upgrade to the 991.2 (macan) steering wheel. I attempted to do a DIY but just could not get the air bag to pop out.

My car is under extended service plan with Porsche, so I took it to the dealer to do the install and they refused because of warranty issues. Nonetheless they said I might need a aftermarket GPS harness. From all the threads I read I understood it to be straight swop since I have wheel with multifunction.

Also from all the videos I watched, I did not see the round disc that is connected to the yellow plug on the back of the steering (outside)

Can someone comment on :
1. What is this disc and why is it sitting outside on the steering wheel
2. DO I really need a GPS harness

Thanks

Thanks guys

Disc

Old 01-08-2022, 08:53 AM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nur20142
Hi Guys

Need some help. I have a 997.2 with a multi function steering and wanting to upgrade to the 991.2 (macan) steering wheel. I attempted to do a DIY but just could not get the air bag to pop out.

My car is under extended service plan with Porsche, so I took it to the dealer to do the install and they refused because of warranty issues. Nonetheless they said I might need a aftermarket GPS harness. From all the threads I read I understood it to be straight swop since I have wheel with multifunction.

Also from all the videos I watched, I did not see the round disc that is connected to the yellow plug on the back of the steering (outside)

Can someone comment on :
1. What is this disc and why is it sitting outside on the steering wheel
2. DO I really need a GPS harness

Thanks

Thanks guys

Disc
Looks like something leftover from the donor car.

You will need the gps adapter. If steering wheel heated you will need a new clock spring and new switch, about $450.

Just did this in my 997.2. Went from multifunction non heated to heated multifunction.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:41 AM
nur20142 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering wheel upgrade

Thank you for your input.

My old steering did not have the heating option and will not be required for the new install. Can I use the existing clock spring thingy ?

Thanks again

Old 01-09-2022, 08:55 AM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by nur20142
Thank you for your input.

My old steering did not have the heating option and will not be required for the new install. Can I use the existing clock spring thingy ?

Thanks again
you should be able to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 to 997.2 steering wheel upgrade without changing the round airbag